NEurope
Serebii

Sonic Mania - Can you feel the sunshine?

36 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

And people thought I was harsh.

The best way to play Sonic is to not go fast. Yeah, it's weird, but that's how it is. The Mega Drive games were way worse for sudden enemy and trap appearances.

That's a problem when slow is even less fun. 

Cheap death number 8 on the fourth zone, and I'm done with this shit. 

Just now, Ronnie said:

That's a problem when slow is even less fun. 

Cheap death number 8 on the fourth zone, and I'm done with this shit. 

Yep, precisely my problem with Mega Drive Sonic.

Flying Battery? That zone doesn't have any cheap deaths? Expect for the Act 2 boss.

1 hour ago, Ike said:

Flying Battery? That zone doesn't have any cheap deaths? Expect for the Act 2 boss.

Things falling on you, getting squashed by annoying moving platforms, bottomless pits on the outside, the act 2 boss. 

It's not so much the zone itself, as the actual gameplay. I'm finding it pretty unplayable.

I'm sure this particular game is great for fans of 2D Sonic but the gameplay just isn't fun to me. 

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Things falling on you, getting squashed by annoying moving platforms, bottomless pits on the outside, the act 2 boss. 

It's not so much the zone itself, as the actual gameplay. I'm finding it pretty unplayable.

I'm sure this particular game is great for fans of 2D Sonic but the gameplay just isn't fun to me. 

Oh, please someone send Ronnie a copy of Sonic 1.

Because if you thought Mania was bad...

4 hours ago, Ike said:

Those platforms that raise with magnets can squish you, and there are a couple of segments in which you're expected to avoid those.

I also wouldn't call those "cheap", since they're obvious obstacles meant to crush you, but it's the best I got.

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I just don't understand the appeal of Sonic. Trying to play through Mania and it's a frustrating mess. I'm sure the designers did a good job with this game but when their work is built on such an awful foundation I feel it doesn't amount to anything. 

3D Sonic is terrible and I've tried to give 2D a go and it just isn't for me. The gameplay is frustrating, imprecise, and just not fun. 

I never feel as though I'm going the correct way, cheap hits by enemies you haven't a hope of spotting, cheap deaths by platforms that fall on you, stop start speed, floaty platforming etc

Each to their own.

I absolutely love everything about it - game design, gameplay, graphics, music etc

The majority of people agree too. The reviews it received were positive.

Yep, I do and am more than happy to admit that. Still think the MegaDrive Sonic gameplay is a broken mess though, if Mania is anything to go by, just my opinion.

I love the Mega Drive games.. but a large part of that is probably down to nostalgia :red:

I completely understand the criticisms from @Glen-i and @Ronnie and have plenty of my own but there's still something special and fun about those early games, and in many ways Sonic Mania, that just isn't present in any other Sonic games from the last couple of decades!

I often play the games slow and methodically (mainly to build up a sufficient number of lives to deal with frustrations later in the games) but enjoy whizzing around during the multiplayer races of Sonic 2 also :smile:

Out of curiosity, have any of you played Sonic 4? I really enjoyed Episode I on Wii but never really appreciated Episode II on PS3..

Flying Battery stage attempt number 5. After my last run was cut short by falling into bottomless pits with no warning on the outside, then having the boss be a frustrating mess of level design. But at least now I know I have to hold left, to go right on the outdoor bit. But only until Sonic arbitrarily slows down and you have to switch to holding the other direction.

7 hours ago, nekunando said:

Out of curiosity, have any of you played Sonic 4? I really enjoyed Episode I on Wii but never really appreciated Episode II on PS3..

I played Episode 1 and it just felt... Off. They clearly wanted to pull a New Super Mario Bros. with it but the gameplay physics just felt completely unsatisfying. Gave up on it pretty quick.

Have to admit I've also never really been a fan of Sonic when it comes to the gameplay, and playing through Mania definitely reminded me just how frustrating it could be. :D If it weren't for the sensational soundtrack and nostalgic vibes I probably wouldn't have played it right through to the end. To be fair though, the game did also make me laugh a lot, just for all the wrong reasons. :laughing:

But yeah, I think to get the most out of any Sonic game requires really getting into the speed running aspect, something that obviously takes a lot of retries and memorisation to achieve, but probably makes the experience much more enjoyable.

Sonic Mania is getting a Physical release this summer. Titled "Sonic Mania Plus". Priced at 30 dollars.

sonic-mania-plus-s-1.jpg

Includes 2 new characters you've never heard of, an "Encore" mode that remixes stages and 4 player Competition Mode.

Also has a reversible cover based on something called a "Genesis" Never heard of that.

Digital versions can get the new content via some paid DLC.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 2

Welp! Time to buy the game for at least the fourth time then. :p

If I buy the physical edition but don't upgrade my digital version... the save files will at least be different though, right?

As in the save file for the original downloaded version will have all the progress I've made so far but the new physical edition with the dlc on the card will save to the card won't it? (I guess the physical edition might even have a new home screen icon)

I might get this on PS4.

Would be the first Sonic game I've ever played.

1 minute ago, S.C.G said:

As in the save file for the original downloaded version will have all the progress I've made so far but the new physical edition with the dlc on the card will save to the card won't it? (I guess the physical edition might even have a new home screen icon)

Not sure, but considering that the Switch icon is awful and doesn't have a title on it, I bet it stays the same...

Sure, I'll buy it again. They got us good. They better do a reversable cover with the correct name for Europe/Japan though.

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

Sure, I'll buy it again. They got us good. They better do a reversable cover with the correct name for Europe/Japan though.

Pretty sure they described it as Genesis/Mega Drive reversible cover at one point.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

You wanna know how it's all gonna work? Well! I can answer those questions for you...

c3nZGDt.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Weird 2

My body is so ready for that flying squirrel! Mighty should be fun, too.

42 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Also has a reversible cover based on something called a "Genesis" Never heard of that.

It's a book from the Bible. Probably a reference to Christian Whitehead's first name.

• Haha 5