NEurope
Serebii

Sonic Mania - Can you feel the sunshine?

Got confirmed by SEGA. Coming at same time as other platforms. Really happy about this

No its a brand new game

LOL... But that Green Hill Zone looks all too familiar. Nice that Sega have gone back though.

LOL... But that Green Hill Zone looks all too familiar. Nice that Sega have gone back though.

I didn't play it at the event but was stood next to someone as they did (chatting to someone, not just lurking) and the attendant guy did say the level has been altered. It definitely caught out the person playing.

I'm so glad that this is coming out on the Switch as I'll be buying it on day 1 of the games release. :D

Also it seems that Tantalus are in charge of the port, so it's in the best of hands. :)

They're some returning stages, but they've been extended so there is some new stuff. The new bits kinda stick out and look a bit too fan game-y to me though.

They're some returning stages, but they've been extended so there is some new stuff. The new bits kinda stick out and look a bit too fan game-y to me though.

But... It is a fan game...

I'll take this fan game over the trash Sonic Team have been pumping out for the last decade.

Game looked slick on the Switch screen. Day one purchase. Would love for a physical edition but digital is better than nothing.

But... It is a fan game...

I know, that's the "problem". Still hyped for it, don't get me wrong.

There's a listing over on EB Games in Australia that indicates the Switch version may be getting a retail release. I hope this is true. It will certainly sway me to buying the Switch version over the others.

According the the interwebs, Amazon recently changed their release date of this to 25th April but then quickly changed it back to May 31st.

There has been no official date given yet so hopefully April is the one as that would be a nice time to have this available with Lego City coming on the 7th April. Keeps the Switch releases ticking over nicely.

Fingers crossed for a boxed version for Switch and release at same time as the other platforms.

A retail version of Sonic Mania on Switch would secure an instant purchase from me over the other platforms automatically. :)

I'd probably end up with it on both regardless. I always tend to enjoy the trophy / achievements on the Sonic games so if this continues in the same way I'll be pleased. Seeing as the Switch doesn't have this type of system. *shakes fist

New gameplay video

with developer commentary:

New Hard-Boiled Boss Mode:

“Green Hill Zone Act 2 presents an all-new area exclusive to Sonic Mania, expanding upon the tropical setting of Act 1, now with new mechanics, obstacles, and secrets to uncover. You like fire, right? Now you can use it to burn log bridges and collect rings and power-ups! Green Hill Zone Act 2’s boss is also notably different from the original, but we won’t be spoiling that yet.

Also revealed today is the first in a series of new bosses, called the “Hard-Boiled Heavies”. These unique foes are part of Eggman’s new arsenal, each equipped with special skills designed to make a blue hedgehog’s life much harder.

original.jpg

The first of these, “Heavy Gunner”, will appear at the end of the Hollywood-inspired Studiopolis Act 1, and is a large, decorated robot who can take to the sky with his helicopter. Heavy Gunner is armed with a powerful rocket launcher that he uses to discourage “speeding”. (Sources from Studiopolis confirm this method is, generally, highly effective.)”

It's a shame but it's understandable. :)

Take your time, let it coooooook! ;)

Someone might want to change the thread title so it says "Sonic Mania (Summer 2017)" though.

This stage was confirmed yesterday.

One of my fourite zones. That music is amazing. Instantly cheered me up after being a bit bummed out by the delay.

A trailer on Steam leaked 15th August as the release date, although I can't see the trailer on Steam.

Taking the piss with the release date on this.

I mean, it's stages that have been around for years with added bits. Doesn't help that they keep releasing videos of every stage for us to just watch... and not play.

Taking the piss with the release date on this.

I mean, it's stages that have been around for years with added bits. Doesn't help that they keep releasing videos of every stage for us to just watch... and not play.

I'm sure they're working as hard as they can to get it out asap