NEurope
Serebii

Super Bomberman R

The us price was at $50. GameStop has it at $40. Surely that's £30?! I'd buy it st 30

The us price was at $50. GameStop has it at $40. Surely that's £30?! I'd buy it st 30

When you factor in the US tax (which isn't on the ticket price) and the fact we have 20% VAT it works out about the same.

When you factor in the US tax (which isn't on the ticket price) and the fact we have 20% VAT it works out about the same.

Don't ruin the dream :(

I'm a huge fan of Bomberman, will be buying it on launch day for around £46 on ShopTo and I'm not even mad. ::shrug:

Just happy to have multiplayer Bomberman back in what looks like a game which harks back to the good old days of Mega and Super Bomberman. : peace:

Here's hoping this bodes well for us getting at least the Super Bomberman games on the Switch Virtual Console as well, if this sells of course which I'm hopeful it will providing it delivers. :smile:

It has two-player co-op in the campaign as well which is a really nice addition. :D

It's a shame, when the sales suck Konami will think people just don't want Bomberman games.

It needs a campaign like Bomberman 64... man, that game!

Such an underappreciated game. Still sad the sequel was never released over here. Virtual Console should've made it happen long ago.

It has two-player co-op in the campaign as well which is a really nice addition. :D

I've never played a Bomberman game and I'm definitely not about to spend that amount on this one but I'm encouraged by the fact I can play co-op with my wife :hehe:

The boxart is kinda cool too!

Konami published the opening to the game yesterday. Not quite what I expected...

Excellent, this only adds further enthusiasm for the games release. :)

It's a bare-bones story which plays on the series history, is tongue-in-cheek and plays off the different personalities of the different Bombermen (and Bomberwomen) whereas in-game it will just be business as usual; blowing stuff up presumably. :D

Also...

they've brought back the Five Dastardly Bombers! : peace:

Bring on March 3rd! :awesome:

Great to see they've put some real effort into this game. Looks like a real, fully featured and properly budgeted Bomberman; even the intro looks like a proper, silly and cheesy Bomberman intro! :D

Last time we saw a proper BM release like this was back on the GCN with Bomberman Generations. Every other release since (even the good, internally made, ones like Bomberman DS and Bomberman Blast) was cut down to the bare essentials and were very low budget; so it's great to see them put some decent money behind it!

Still feels like this came out of some alternate dimension where Konami didn't implode out of sheer stupidity. Nintendo must've paid them pretty handsomely!

I think it looks fun although a little run of the mill. Very surprised that they're charging so much for it though. Might be more to my price expectations by the time I get a switch though.

Super Bomberman R is going to be a tough sell at $50, unless you have lots of parties

Eight-player madness

Super Bomberman R came out of nowhere during the Nintendo Switch reveal event, after the legendary mascot had been sidelined for over half a decade. Headlined by Konami and HexaDrive (who typically works on ports, like Rez HD or Snake Eater 3D), this $50 game sports a 50-stage campaign and support for up to eight players.

But if online play doesn't take off, you'll need a way to tap into its full multiplayer potential at home.

S2-noscale.jpg

First off, if you want to run your own local session, you'll need to scrape together eight controllers. Your Switch actually comes with two -- as single Joy-Con can be used for two separate people -- but for the other six you'll either have to find more Joy-Con or more $70 Pro Controllers. Campaign co-op (which wasn't on offer at the event) is limited to two players.

I was surprised at how well the single Joy-Con controls, even with my big hands. It helps that Bomberman is so simple, with its "set bomb" button, and occasionally, kick/punch buttons, but it wasn't uncomfortable to use and I had no sensation of cramping even after 20 minutes with it. It's obvious that a lot of retro-themed games are perfect for it, including Sonic Mania (modeled after the old 2D style) and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (which essentially controls just like every other classic Mario Kart since the SNES).

I enjoyed my time with Super Bomberman R, but I wasn't overly excited playing it even with the lengthy hiatus since my last fix. The art style is a little washed out and lacked detail, especially on the character models. The art and menus were pristine, with crystal-clear coloring, but the in-game engine itself felt indistinguishable from, say, systems that were out 10 years ago.

Although it's a pre-release build, multiplayer doesn't look super customizable. You can set the max player count (and bots), change the time and amount of rounds, alter starting positions, and turn off special blocks, skulls, and revenge carts (if you die you go on the outskirts, and can return after killing someone -- a staple of recent iterations).

Still, it's Bomberman. If you want to get more competitive you can turn revenge carts off, or you can go for an eight-player bash with all sorts of twists and turns and silliness. The core of blasting each other into bits still holds up, it just doesn't feel like a must-buy Switch title at the moment.

https://www.destructoid.com/super-bomberman-r-is-going-to-be-a-tough-sell-at-50-unless-you-have-lots-of-parties-418160.phtml

It's a shame the game is so ugly looking and that weird floating camera is very strange. Hope there's an option to turn that off.

It's a shame the game is so ugly looking and that weird floating camera is very strange. Hope there's an option to turn that off.
Turn ugly looking off? Not sure, but i dont think thats possible.

If it is, let me know. I might land a date.

I've never played a Bomberman game, but this looks pretty good.

Is it co-op only?

No, I'm certain there's a single player mode.

That said, multiplayer is the bread and butter of Bomberman, so I hope you plan on playing it online at some point.

Its always weird when you hear someone say they didn't play a game that was big in your childhood. Kind of snaps you back to reality and reminds you that not everyone played the same games you did lol.

I've never played Bomberman. I've never played a Sonic game.

I've never played a 2D Zelda, or a 2D Metroid, or Donkey Kong Country, or a single Kirby game.

I've never played Metal Gear Solid. I've never played a Star Fox game, or a Mortal Kombat game, or a Street Fighter game, or any of the Final Fantasy series.

I never played on a NES...or a SNES. Or a Master System, or a Mega Drive.

I've never played a Bomberman game, but this looks pretty good.

Is it co-op only?

Mental.

Bomberman is BANGING.

I mean, I've heard of it. But I don't really know why I've never played one?

I never had a SNES / NES, I started with Mega Drive, N64, GC, DreamCast etc etc.

I know there was a Bomberman on N64(?) but was never inclined to actually play it but can't remember why?!

Hmm, might look into picking it up then.

My main Bomberman game was Mega Bomberman on my Mega Drive. Played a lot of that with friends.

Same. Best version of the game with the Louies. :)