NEurope
Serebii

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

No surprise but looks like they put work into this after all.

10 hours ago, Ronnie said:

No surprise but looks like they put work into this after all.

I hopped through video via the news section on the Switch and didn't immediately notice any evidence of this? Maybe what you're alluding to will be more evident when racing on them.

Kind of grown used to the track list being divided between the "good screen" and the "cheap screen". :laughing: 

11 hours ago, Dcubed said:

MK8DXBCP

Can we just say MK or booster pack, way too many letters.

But this is what we need, don't make them all Tour tracks.

After playing the Arcade MK whilst I was away, I have thought could those be included. But then they feel different to normal mainline game tracks, they are all wider and just don't seem to have as many corners as normal tracks. I think they really are designed for the arcade machine so that you don't end up crashing every 10 seconds. But maybe tighten them up and have them in Mario Kart Ultimate when they (please please) release it.

• Haha 1

Just now, BowserBasher said:

Can we just say MK or booster pack, way too many letters.

Nah, we need to make it even longer! MK8DXBCPW2 it is! :p

Just now, BowserBasher said:

But this is what we need, don't make them all Tour tracks.

After playing the Arcade MK whilst I was away, I have thought could those be included. But then they feel different to normal mainline game tracks, they are all wider and just don't seem to have as many corners as normal tracks. I think they really are designed for the arcade machine so that you don't end up crashing every 10 seconds. But maybe tighten them up and have them in Mario Kart Ultimate when they (please please) release it.

The arcade tracks are rubbish, nobody wants them.  Namco couldn't design a good MK track (or a good MK game) if their lives depended on it.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, darksnowman said:

I hopped through video via the news section on the Switch and didn't immediately notice any evidence of this? Maybe what you're alluding to will be more evident when racing on them.

Kind of grown used to the track list being divided between the "good screen" and the "cheap screen". :laughing: 

There's a brand new track. I'm sure it'll appear in Tour, but still a nice surprise.

5 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Nah, we need to make it even longer! MK8DXBCPW2 it is! :p

The arcade tracks are rubbish, nobody wants them.  Namco couldn't design a good MK track (or a good MK game) if their lives depended on it.

Fair enough, honestly looking back at them they really aren't any that stand out or are memorable. Heck, you can't even hold your item behind you can you. I could ever find the way to do it.

Getting a new track, and one that uses the anti-gravity mechanic (something I thought we may lose completely with the booster courses) is a really nice surprise.

Not a bad selection of courses, as I remember liking Waluigi Pinball and Mushroom Gorge.

Kalimari Desert was iconic on MK64 although I remember replaying it in MK7 and sadly realising that it’s actually quite basic with long stretches and few corners.

Overall, looking forward to next week and trying these out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WackerJr said:

Kalimari Desert was iconic on MK64 although I remember replaying it in MK7 and sadly realising that it’s actually quite basic with long stretches and few corners.

Well, then. You might be in luck, because this might not be quite the Kalimari Desert you remember.

• Thanks 1

So I kept seeing talk of a leak that has been proving right with the Wave two tracks. Never knew about it so went looking around 

It seems to be this and that this person was able to see the prefixes for the games that the track was from. And after the release of wave to details this seems right.

2 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

So I kept seeing talk of a leak that has been proving right with the Wave two tracks. Never knew about that so went looking around

Skim-read that as "So I kept seeing talk of a leak that has been proven right with the Wave Race tracks." :o I never knew about that either, and for a second I thought it seemed pretty rational because of the hover kart aspect before I caught myself on.

I haven't sat down and thought about a wishlist of tracks I want so I'm happy enough with whatever they throw in.

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Well, then. You might be in luck, because this might not be quite the Kalimari Desert you remember.

I’ve just seen a tweet from Nintendo UK about the track. 😃 Ok, I’m more optimistic about this now!

Just now, WackerJr said:

I’ve just seen a tweet from Nintendo UK about the track. 😃 Ok, I’m more optimistic about this now!

Yeah, it's cool, huh? I agree that Kalimari Desert is on the lower end of track quality from the N64, so this should help shake things up.

Spoiler

I really enjoyed Paris Promenade, and Tokyo Blur has an interesting mechanic behind the different track layout per lap (Even if it is a bit dull). So I'm very happy they're doing a similar thing here.
And let's face it, everyone tried to drive through the train tunnel at some point, so it's cool that you'll actually have to do that now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

So I kept seeing talk of a leak that has been proving right with the Wave two tracks. Never knew about it so went looking around 

It seems to be this and that this person was able to see the prefixes for the games that the track was from. And after the release of wave to details this seems right.

See, issue with this data mine is that the others could just be fake placeholders to throw off the scent of the real course list.

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

See, issue with this data mine is that the others could just be fake placeholders to throw off the scent of the real course list.

Which is why I always take this with a 10lbs bag of salt. Heck even Nintendo could be doing it just to mess with people. They put those in and "let people find it" only to then mess it all up by completely changing it for the next release. 

OK, now that I've played each track in multiplayer and raced against the staff ghosts as well, I'm gonna rank Wave 2.

Spoiler

#8 SNES Mario Circuit 3 - Seems kinda harsh putting this last, but it's a similar thing with Toad Circuit, in that the track is realtively untouched compared to the original. The difference here though is that the original track is solid, so I'm fine with it being there.

#7 Wii Mushroom Gorge - Another solid track left almost untouched, there are some subtle differences though. The shortcut at the start and the cave section mixing elements of the Wii version with the gliding blue mushroom from MK 7. I dig it!

#6 Tour New York Minute - Tokyo Blur, but better. A much more interesting layout that changes each lap like most of the other Tour tracks. However, this one is more visually interesting and the manhole jumps and taxi obstacles keep things interesting. Also, Donkey Kong is the best musical apparently.

#5 GBA Snow Land - Real talk, I forgot this track existed until the Wave 2 trailer. So I booted up Super Circuit to see it again. Out of all the GBA tracks so far, this is the one that sticks closest to the source. There are differences. The pools of water are mostly gone, there's some verticality to it, and a new shortcut has been plonked on the last corner. It also doesn't have 25 coins all in a row anymore, thankfully. The music remix is great, too. I love the harmony here.
My inward drifting bike does not appreciate the slippery surfaces though.

#4 Sky-High Sundae - Hey, a new track. And it's anti-gravity! Nice to see that's not getting completely ditched in the booster pass. There's a lot of jumps here, and the wafer section has a lot paths going on, but I'm kinda disappointed that there seems to be no opportunity for mushroom shortcuts. A minor complaint considering the anti-grav makes this stand out in the pack.

#3 Tour Sydney Sprint - This one's wild! A similar layout change gimmick with the other Tour ones, but lap 2 is way longer then the other laps! Some proper tight cornering needed as well at times! Definitely up there with Paris Promenade.

#2 N64 Kalimari Desert - Boy, did this track need an improvement! It was really boring on the N64, but here with a quasi layout change, it finally manages to be, dare I say it... fun!? Loads of new shortcut opportunities and the lap 2 twist is so good! It's hilarious how narrow the train tunnel is when the train is present. There ain't no way in hell 12 people are getting through that unscathed! And I love it!

#1 DS Waluigi Pinball - I give a lot of flack for tracks staying too close to their source material, but, well... It's Waluigi Pinball! You don't mess with the best! It would've been nice if the pinball table section was anti grav, but that's a minor nitpick. With 12 people at once now, it's gonna be even more chaotic!

All in all, this is better then Wave 1. Nothing quite reaches the heights of Ninja Hideaway, but the quality is much more consistent here.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Helmsly said:

I love the music in Sydney Sprint

That Saxophone really is something else, huh?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I seen Kalamari Desert was in I rolled my eyes a bit as like Glen says, it was always a bit of a boring track. 

But I love what they've done with it. I haven't played the other cup with the other 4 tracks yet, but will do so later! 

On 05/08/2022 at 4:31 AM, Glen-i said:

That Saxophone really is something else, huh?

I both love it and hate it when you get great sax portions. Because they sound awesome, but then remind me of how far I've got to go :(

Anyone else feel that Nintendo upped the AI's game with this booster pack? I've noticed that their banana dropping game is much more coordinated in that they place them in groups or in much more strategic places, like before boxes or jumps. But I've also noticed, and correct me if I'm wrong, but they are THROWING RED SHELLS BACKWARDS NOW!!!!

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Anyone else feel that Nintendo upped the AI's game with this booster pack? I've noticed that their banana dropping game is much more coordinated in that they place them in groups or in much more strategic places, like before boxes or jumps. But I've also noticed, and correct me if I'm wrong, but they are THROWING RED SHELLS BACKWARDS NOW!!!!

Yep, they've definitely been tweaked to gun for the player more. I noticed it while going for the Gold 3 stars on the new cups. Try to avoid being directly in front or behind them. Because they'll always know you're there.

Also, they've made item boxes respawn a little quicker, so people are less likely to have an item stolen by the jerk in front.

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2022 at 11:28 PM, Glen-i said:

OK, now that I've played each track in multiplayer and raced against the staff ghosts as well, I'm gonna rank Wave 2.

Good Heavens! Rankings! (Reveal hidden contents)

#8 SNES Mario Circuit 3 - Seems kinda harsh putting this last, but it's a similar thing with Toad Circuit, in that the track is realtively untouched compared to the original. The difference here though is that the original track is solid, so I'm fine with it being there.

#7 Wii Mushroom Gorge - Another solid track left almost untouched, there are some subtle differences though. The shortcut at the start and the cave section mixing elements of the Wii version with the gliding blue mushroom from MK 7. I dig it!

#6 Tour New York Minute - Tokyo Blur, but better. A much more interesting layout that changes each lap like most of the other Tour tracks. However, this one is more visually interesting and the manhole jumps and taxi obstacles keep things interesting. Also, Donkey Kong is the best musical apparently.

#5 GBA Snow Land - Real talk, I forgot this track existed until the Wave 2 trailer. So I booted up Super Circuit to see it again. Out of all the GBA tracks so far, this is the one that sticks closest to the source. There are differences. The pools of water are mostly gone, there's some verticality to it, and a new shortcut has been plonked on the last corner. It also doesn't have 25 coins all in a row anymore, thankfully. The music remix is great, too. I love the harmony here.
My inward drifting bike does not appreciate the slippery surfaces though.

#4 Sky-High Sundae - Hey, a new track. And it's anti-gravity! Nice to see that's not getting completely ditched in the booster pass. There's a lot of jumps here, and the wafer section has a lot paths going on, but I'm kinda disappointed that there seems to be no opportunity for mushroom shortcuts. A minor complaint considering the anti-grav makes this stand out in the pack.

#3 Tour Sydney Sprint - This one's wild! A similar layout change gimmick with the other Tour ones, but lap 2 is way longer then the other laps! Some proper tight cornering needed as well at times! Definitely up there with Paris Promenade.

#2 N64 Kalimari Desert - Boy, did this track need an improvement! It was really boring on the N64, but here with a quasi layout change, it finally manages to be, dare I say it... fun!? Loads of new shortcut opportunities and the lap 2 twist is so good! It's hilarious how narrow the train tunnel is when the train is present. There ain't no way in hell 12 people are getting through that unscathed! And I love it!

#1 DS Waluigi Pinball - I give a lot of flack for tracks staying too close to their source material, but, well... It's Waluigi Pinball! You don't mess with the best! It would've been nice if the pinball table section was anti grav, but that's a minor nitpick. With 12 people at once now, it's gonna be even more chaotic!

All in all, this is better then Wave 1. Nothing quite reaches the heights of Ninja Hideaway, but the quality is much more consistent here.

but I'm kinda disappointed that there seems to be no opportunity for mushroom shortcuts

Oh? You sure about that buddy?

;) 

Edited by Dcubed

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Oh? You sure about that buddy?

;) 

I don't see no mushrooms being used!

Also, 200cc shenanigans is cheating!

14 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I don't see no mushrooms being used!

Also, 200cc shenanigans is cheating!

Edited by Dcubed