NEurope
Serebii

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

40 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

UK price for the DLC is £22.49

I'm currently subscribed to the NSO + Expansion Pass and I still bought this DLC immediately; even though I get it for free with my subscription.

Stupidly good value, and a fantastic way to throw a fat middle finger to Mario Kart Tour! :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSU70zTXzP2pQjzPEUpxi8

Fuck you Mario Kart Tour.  Hope you rot in hell!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

That is a HELL of a lot of content you are getting here! 

I know it's a lot of content, I was saying I personally wish they'd have given us half the number of courses but touched them up a bit, so that they fit a bit better with the original courses.

So, seeing as the boost pass will see MK8 Deluxe get support for seemingly another 18 months at least, how many copies do we think the game will end up selling? It isn't exactly struggling to shift units now, almost 5 years after release, so any boost in sales will keep the juggernaut going for years to come.

50 million seems like a lock, 60 million a genuine possibility?

I'm currently subscribed to the NSO + Expansion Pass and I still bought this DLC immediately; even though I get it for free with my subscription.
Stupidly good value, and a fantastic way to throw a fat middle finger to Mario Kart Tour!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSU70zTXzP2pQjzPEUpxi8Fjg5hRl1jhIkd1w&usqp=CAU

Fuck you Mario Kart Tour.  Hope you rot in hell!

You spent money on something you get for free anyway? Do you get it sooner or something?

32 minutes ago, bob said:
6 hours ago, Dcubed said:

You spent money on something you get for free anyway? Do you get it sooner or something?

He does get to keep it once Switch online eventually gets shut down.

But take it from his cousin, this is mostly a statement against Mario Kart Tour.

He does get to keep it once Switch online eventually gets shut down.
But take it from his cousin, this is mostly a statement against Mario Kart Tour.
But you could wait, and buy it slightly cheaper in future once NSO gets taken down.

And making a statement by giving Nintendo even more money than you need to isn't exactly going to have them quaking in their boots.

14 minutes ago, bob said:

But you could wait, and buy it slightly cheaper in future once NSO gets taken down.

And making a statement by giving Nintendo even more money than you need to isn't exactly going to have them quaking in their boots.

I think it's more making his point that Mario Kart Tour doesn't deserve his money.

Really wish they’d have done this earlier and spread the releases over a period of time, still, a great price for such a big addition to the game. This will probably be my excuse to finally upgrade to the OLED Switch.

10 hours ago, Mokong said:

This has actually tempted me towards the NSO Expansion.

I assume though, if I got the expansion but didn't renew it I would lose access to the DLC?

Hhhmmm choices, just pay for DLC, or get expansion and play Banjo?

If I recall correctly it was confirmed when the Animal Crossing DLC was announced you lose access when you stop subscribing so I'd assume this is the same

Awesome news and didn't expect this. I have the NSO Expansion pack so this has paid for that and then some. I didn't think any Mario Kart news would come out, especially this after so long.

Looks like MK will be getting dusted off.

10 hours ago, Glen-i said:

If there was ever a perfect argument for why I massively disapprove of Mario Kart Tour, that's it.

Well it would be, if that were entirely accurate, but it’s actually just another case of someone talking complete and utter poo on twitter. :laughing: 

You see, while it was indeed possible to purchase Diddy Kong in MK Tour like that (obviously not advisable :heh:) it’s far from the only way to obtain the character. Fact is that Diddy is only a gold driver which is a relatively common drop in basically every single pipe on each tour, he’s also been available in the token shop on a couple of occasions and even as a tour gift at one point too I believe. :blank:

In other words, it would be pretty much impossible to play MK Tour and not obtain Diddy (for free) at some point. I think he was one of the first characters I unlocked back when the game launched, and he has popped up multiple times on free pipe drops since then as well.

Anyway, as far as this DLC for MK8DX is concerned, I have to admit that it made me laugh as soon as I saw it. How the hell has it taken this long for Nintendo to get around to doing this I’ll never know! :eek: The fact they’re going to be drip feeding it is also quite ridiculous seeing as it’s essentially a copy & paste from Tour and everything is already done.

Not including of any of the numerous characters and kart customisations from Tour is quite frankly bizarre as well. :hmm: 

But yeah, better late than never I suppose, and it’s obviously better than nothing… Just a bit weird. ::shrug:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Not including of any of the numerous characters and kart customisations from Tour is quite frankly bizarre as well. :hmm: 

I'm sure that they will also be coming as well.  They'll just be saving those announcements until later (can't be revealing their whole hand too soon after all!).  Each wave will probably come with a selection of those bits from Tour as a bonus; much like how we got Mii Costumes announced alongside Smash DLC characters.

Edited by Dcubed

8 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I'm sure that they will also be coming as well.  They'll just be saving those announcements until later (can't be revealing their whole hand too soon after all!).  Each wave will probably come with a selection of those bits from Tour as a bonus; much like how we got Mii Costumes announced alongside Smash DLC characters.

They’d be mad not to, as there is just so much content available and ready to go.

I think the character count on Tour is up to 140 now! :D I have about 90 or so unlocked anyway, and it’s  similar numbers for karts.

Utilising every variation might be overkill actually :heh: but they should at least consider bringing over the characters that don’t appear in MK8. Like Pauline and Monty Mole, etc.

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

The fact they’re going to be drip feeding it is also quite ridiculous seeing as it’s essentially a copy & paste from Tour and everything is already done.

I love the release schedule, prolongs interest in the game, keeps the game in the conversation for the next two years. Obviously I'm stating the obvious here but the entertainment business is based around pacing stuff out these days, it's why Marvel or Star Wars don't release all their tv shows at the same time.

1 hour ago, Ike said:

Shopto is selling the pass for £16.

Nice find. :smile:

At that price, I ordered two, as I know my brother will want the new tracks as well.

It'll be time to renew my Nintendo Switch Online subscription in March then. :D

(I'm just going for the basic tier, as the N64/MD games and temporary access to the Mario Kart 8 tracks/AC dlc isn't worth it to me)

Also, it looks like its been almost three years since I last ordered anything on ShopTo.

Edited by S.C.G

On 10/02/2022 at 12:50 PM, RedShell said:
On 10/02/2022 at 12:50 PM, RedShell said:

Anyway, as far as this DLC for MK8DX is concerned, I have to admit that it made me laugh as soon as I saw it. How the hell has it taken this long for Nintendo to get around to doing this I’ll never know! :eek: The fact they’re going to be drip feeding it is also quite ridiculous seeing as it’s essentially a copy & paste from Tour and everything is already done.

But yeah, better late than never I suppose, and it’s obviously better than nothing… Just a bit weird. ::shrug:

I reckon they shoved MK8D on Switch early doors for no other reason than to bolster the launch window line-up and they've been just as taken aback as everyone else that the thing won't stop printing money. :laughing: I've no doubt the Direct reveal for MK9 has been ready for broadcast for some time now and they've pushed it back and pushed it back until finally opting to do this DLC. Actually, I think the DLC makes so much sense I'm kind of surprised to see it happening! The gradual release is no bad thing (imo) as it'll give people time to enjoy and master the new tracks (not everyone will have played the mobile game) and it gives Nintendo something to fill the vacant Smash Bros. new character slot in upcoming Directs.

It'd be great if they expand it further with new characters and vehicle parts. I'm just looking forward to getting back on MK8D to see if I can finish unlocking the parts in it already but if there ends up being more, all the better! Although perhaps they want to hold something back for MK9, unless like someone else (@drahkon?) said, they're gonna turn that 8 on its side and make this into MK Infinite. :peace: 

2 hours ago, darksnowman said:

It'd be great if they expand it further with new characters and vehicle parts. I'm just looking forward to getting back on MK8D to see if I can finish unlocking the parts in it already but if there ends up being more, all the better! Although perhaps they want to hold something back for MK9, unless like someone else said, they're gonna turn that 8 on its side and make this into MK Infinite. :peace: 

Might as well just put my quote from the other thread in here...

On 10/02/2022 at 2:57 PM, S.C.G said:

Should the thread title be changed to... "Will Mario Kart 9 be released?" :p

At this point, might as well turn the "8" on its side... "Mario Kart Infinity"

It's a good business move, Mario Kart 8 still sells... lots... and the best thing they could do for it is to add more tracks.

Even if this is a move to recoup losses(?) or investment from Mario Kart Tour, it's clearly worth doing.

Now it's a case of, once all the tracks have been released, by the end of next year?!? Will there be a retail release titled "Mario Kart 8 DX/Plus/Ultimate"?

It's a really good move, when Mario Kart 8 Deluxe came out on the Switch, I wasn't surprised, it was the right time to do it, because even if you just take it on face value, it's an improved version of Mario Kart 8, with a more stable framerate, slight increase in resolution(?) and the hardware it runs on is a fraction of the size of the Wii U Gamepad, let alone the size of the console and the controller.

There are plenty of people who never owned a Wii U, who bought a Switch, so this is a new Mario Kart game to them. And even those who supported the Wii U and bought the game when it originally released, Mario Kart 8 DX is still worth picking up if you play it often enough.

Adding DLC to a title which has "Deluxe" in the title, might seem contradictory, but for its time of release, being that the game will have been out for around five years even on the Switch, it's definitely worth it to get a bit more life out of the game. Especially as personally, it felt like I was playing the game on auto-pilot whenever I'd play it online, so some new tracks to learn are very welcome.

Plus I now have a reason to renew my Nintendo Switch Online subscription, when I let lapse late last year... by the time these tracks start to be released, it will have been around six months since I last had NSO active on my account. It might only be £17.99 a year for the basic subscription, but a £9 saving is still worth it, and if you take that "saving" off the ShopTo price of the DLC pass, then all of these new tracks, have only cost £7 which seems to be pretty good value. :smile:

• Like 2

Anyone that does not buy the Boost Pack can still play the new courses online if it is selected by those that do have it:

Courses from wave 1 of the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass can be played from March 18th locally or online in Friends and Rivals races, even if only one player owns the Booster Course Pass or has access to it as part of a Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack membership. From March 22nd, courses from wave 1 will also appear in the Random selection when playing Global or Regional races with anyone online.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-games/Mario-Kart-8-Deluxe-1173281.html#Booster_Course_Pass

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Wow, that's a pleasant surprise. Guess Ninty didn't want to split the player base like they did with the WiiU version?

Hmmm... I wonder if this means that the pack will have some character and vehicles to make it more tempting to buy the pack, but then why not mention it?

Makes little business sense, but oh well!

EDIT: Oh crap, that's gonna muck up any theme nights I do for N-E get togethers.

Edited by Glen-i

Wow! That's crazy generous.  Nintendo are practically giving these courses away!

The Booster Course Pass DLC purchase is cheap enough on its own, but then they throw it in with the NSO Expansion Pass subscription for nothing AND now they're letting people mooch the DLC for free off of others?  Someone clearly didn't tell the accountants about their plans :laughing:

Edited by Dcubed

Random speculation... I wonder if Nintendo could be planning on bringing back MK8 DX's previously scrapped Reverse Mode with this upcoming DLC? (Yes I've been browsing TCRF again!)

I mean... Mario Kart Tour did actually steal this concept and actually incorporate reverse variants of many of its own tracks... With all of these new DLC tracks all coming from Tour... I could see them pulling this surprise out of their hat at some point (perhaps with the final DLC pack) with a new Reverse CC Mode! :D

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Random speculation... I wonder if Nintendo could be planning on bringing back MK8 DX's previously scrapped Reverse Mode with this upcoming DLC? (Yes I've been browsing TCRF again!)

I mean... Mario Kart Tour did actually steal this concept and actually incorporate reverse variants of many of its own tracks... With all of these new DLC tracks all coming from Tour... I could see them pulling this surprise out of their hat at some point (perhaps with the final DLC pack) with a new Reverse CC Mode! :D

I don't see why not? 200cc was just randomly dropped alongside the WiiU DLC, wasn't it? And this Booster Pass is mostly a way to salvage tracks from Tour, after all.

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Would reverse Mode work though with many of the tracks in 8? A lot of track are built in a way that if you try to go in reverse you can make it all the way around because of jumps and ramps. I'd love them to bring it back if they had thought of making it though.