NEurope
Serebii

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Love it. Now all we need is a new “I’m using cardboard controls” option to use in the online lobby. 

• Haha 3

If I used the Labo controls, the moment I get fucked by items I'd tear the cardboard to pieces, burn everything and throw the ashes on my friends.

10/10 will buy and I don't even have a Switch.

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 4

The online seems completely knackered on this at the moment. It's taking ages finding games online and there are communication errors all over the place. 

I did manage to get into a game and was voice chatting with a couple of random players. It was a nice conversation until everyone got booted out of the lobby!

I'm gonna try Regional and see if I have more luck with that.

Played some regional matches without issues. I was sat talking to some guys from Spain and Finland while we were racing. Good stuff. This is how I want my online gaming. Being able to actually communicate with those I'm playing with.

Fantastic (but very technical) analysis of the music on Mount Wario:

The amount of work that went into the soundtrack for MK8 is just extraordinary. :bowdown:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RedShell said:

Fantastic (but very technical) analysis of the music on Mount Wario:

The amount of work that went into the soundtrack for MK8 is just extraordinary. :bowdown:

I didn’t understand 97% of that video but I loved it. Never thought of the music li,e that and this was definitely worth the watch. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RedShell said:

I kinda want it. :hehe: 

I definitely want it, I like the look of the more "serious" premium model wheel, I did just get rid of a wheel for the Xbox One... but for the Switch, I'd probably be more likely to use it.

Depends on the price and if it holds up... and the size of the wheel as I'm feeling like I'm really short on space here.

Then I've got to think... which games would I really use it for? Well... Virtua Racing definitely! :D In fact... I might have found my one reason to convince myself to get it.

When I can reasonably afford it though, which probably isn't right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

But none of you even use tilt controls!

But this isn’t tilt control, it’s a whole steering wheel. :heh: that’s my excuse. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

But this isn’t tilt control, it’s a whole steering wheel. :heh: that’s my excuse. 

That's an awful excuse because I've been using these the entire time.

11396104-1134458411082914.jpg

There is a tournament at my work on Tuesday in this. I haven't played since last year but have been playing MK Tour over the past couple of weeks. It was a bit strange coming from Tour to this as the speed difference on 150cc is quite big. And then there's the timing of Rocket Start... 

But finally managed to get 3 stars on all cups in 150cc today while training. It only took me what, 6 years? 

Last year, I got a second place in a crazy close race. The guy who beat me has left the company now so I hope to get first place this year. :D

Edited by MindFreak

For those that missed it, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is getting 48 remade courses as paid DLC.

FLMFQZxXMAAF_0c?format=jpg&name=smallFLMFRQDX0AA13EQ?format=jpg&name=large

it's included with the NSO Expansion Pass or sold separately for $24.99

This has actually tempted me towards the NSO Expansion.

I assume though, if I got the expansion but didn't renew it I would lose access to the DLC?

Hhhmmm choices, just pay for DLC, or get expansion and play Banjo?

Quite surprised they're not sweetening the deal with some extra characters.

But, ah well. The courses were the selling point of the WiiU DLC, anyway.

5 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Quite surprised they're not sweetening the deal with some extra characters.

But, ah well. The courses were the selling point of the WiiU DLC, anyway.

I bet they will probably include costumes alongside each set as they get released... Mario Kart Tour has a ridiculous amount of costumes that they will want to carry over here (after all, this entire DLC set is designed to salvage as much from that failed mobile project as possible!); they will most likely just announce them later on.

You can tell they were struggling for power-ups when they had to resort to "The Apples That Yoshi Eats in SMW Cup" :laughing:

Must admit, I kind of wish they halved the number of courses and made those look a little better. Most of them from the trailer seemed strangely basic compared to the original MK8DX tracks.Still, hyped af.

Just now, Ronnie said:

You can tell they were struggling for power-ups when they had to resort to "The Apples That Yoshi Eats in SMW Cup" :laughing:

Must admit, I kind of wish they halved the number of courses and made those look a little better. Most of them from the trailer seemed strangely basic compared to the original MK8DX tracks.Still, hyped af.

Well yeah, they're all recycled from Mario Kart Tour.  Of course they're gonna be basic looking compared to MK8's native courses lol.

The (stupidly cheap) price also reflects this.

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Well yeah, they're all recycled from Mario Kart Tour. 

I haven't been keeping up with Tour. I had no idea it had that many courses from all the old games.

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Of course they're gonna be basic looking compared to MK8's native courses lol.

Nothing stopping them from spending time polishing them up lol

Edited by Ronnie

45 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I haven't been keeping up with Tour. I had no idea it had that many courses from all the old games.

Nothing stopping them from spending time polishing them up lol

Nintendo have already wasted outrageous amounts of time, money, manpower and resources on that failure of a mobile game; there's no way they can justify wasting EVEN MORE resources on this!

This is a salvage port project, further asset reworking would be completely outside of the project's scope.

oCoMc4L.jpg

KZCOCVi.jpg

You're getting reworked lighting/shading in the MK8 engine and that's about it.  No actual major geometry or texture art asset reworking.

Also keep in mind that 48 courses is literally 1.5x a brand new Mario Kart game's worth of content.  That is a HELL of a lot of content you are getting here!  Mario Kart Tour literally prevented Nintendo from making an original Mario Kart game for Switch, and it was a complete bomba on mobile.  The opportunity cost in play here with that game is absolutely unbelievable, and Nintendo clearly realised this.  Hence, this DLC had to happen; but the price also had to reflect the effort being spent on the port.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

wow...

If there was ever a perfect argument for why I massively disapprove of Mario Kart Tour, that's it.