NEurope
Serebii

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Don't want to set myself up for pain. But I really think Wii u owners are going to get a discount. Digital owners.

I think DLC owners would be fair enough a distinction. No point owning the dlc (which afaik was download only?) without the game.... and probably those without the dlc wouldn't be too interested in deluxe anyway...

the dlc packs together were about £15 weren't they? I think that is about the maximum I would be willing to consider paying for MK8 deluxe. 1080p really doesn't interest me, the battle modes with 1080p, double weapon mechanic (if they balance it well) and portability would maybe just push me into interest.

It's looking more and more likely that two items is the only option available.

Hope you like Ultra-defensive Mario Kart!

showing how long it has been since I played MK... is it not possible to hold a shell/banana peel behind you and collect a second weapon? I seem to recall many people using that tactic in MK8 when they reached 1st/second. I personally think they should introduce a drag mechanic for shells where holding it behind you for too long it begins to spark and increasingly create drag, slowing you down and pulling you back into the pack. Maybe with banana peels have a short "oil slick" type of trail left behind and the banana peel is spent... Basically make any "defence" short lived. Also you should be able to drop speed boost mushrooms as poison mushrooms (like the ones princess peach AI had in the snes version)...

showing how long it has been since I played MK... is it not possible to hold a shell/banana peel behind you and collect a second weapon?

In older games, yes, but not in MK8.

At first I was thinking that two items would be ultra defensive, but actually you could look at it as more attacking for the pack too. The person in front is likely to get more coins and such, but the behind there maybe more red/blue shells, mushrooms etc!

in MK8 I actually found it too defensive for the 1st 2nd place... in the mk league generally 1st/2nd position would have a shell/peel behind them and then just go round the track. 3rd place seemed to get pathetic items, 4th would get reds/greens, hit 3rd and basically the rest would kinda huddle together in mayhem. even if someone escaped the pack, the mushrooms, stars and bullet bills didn't boost enough to close the gap to second/first. That happened far too often in MK8. Still fun though. I also liked double dash (the racing side was what let that one down a bit for me) so I hope mk8 deluxe is fun for those who buy it!

Although I really wish they put some extra tracks in, and I hope they give us Wii U owners a discount' I'm far more excited for this than I expected. Battle mode looks incredible, but actually the idea of a handheld Mario kart 8 is amazing. I have some great memories of local ds play on Mario kart' but then I lived with 3 others who had it and loads of friends over all the time. 10 years on and I'm middle aged and a lonely gamer :)

I'm just overjoyed they've put the Feather back in. SNES battle mode tracks + feather, yes please.

I'm just overjoyed they've put the Feather back in. SNES battle mode tracks + feather, yes please.

I didn't realise until I watched the trailer again yesterday but the Boo/Ghost also returns :hehe:

There may not seem to be a lot new in this version but I do kinda want it, especially after seeing those screenshots!

The Wii U servers might not stay around for long so an upgrade to Deluxe could well still be worth it :smile:

I'm just happy I can own a complete copy of Mario Kart 8. With everything compiled on the Switch cart, all the content will be accessible forever unlike the Wii U version which will eventually go offline and prevent people obtaining the DLC packs.

It will be a bit frustrating buying the game again but it's no different to buying a cd ofor an album you already own on vinyl. I've bought the star wars films three times vhs/dvd/bluray

It will be a bit frustrating buying the game again but it's no different to buying a cd ofor an album you already own on vinyl.

You've either outed yourself as old or as a hipster :heh:

You've either outed yourself as old or as a hipster :heh:

I would be utterly gobsmacked if I'm not the oldest member on here and by a stretch to.

I would be utterly gobsmacked if I'm not the oldest member on here and by a stretch to.

I've no idea how old you are but Cookyman is 46.

I've no idea how old you are but Cookyman is 46.

We'll then that dirty old bustard has done me by a year. Now I feel like a whipper snapper.

Why aren't they mentioning online in the ad..?

Because the focus is the portability play anywhere!

Why aren't they mentioning online in the ad..?

I think you're looking too hard into this.

I think you're looking too hard into this.

I'm not "looking into it", we know it'll have online, I'm just wondering why they don't mention it. It is a selling point after all... probably moreso than the 8 player local play in all honesty. ::shrug:

The message it gives is that online isn't a focus once again... and that isn't good, surely..?

Because the focus is the portability play anywhere!

It's good that the image they're putting across is more a handheld than home console. I do think a hybrid is the right move for Ninty.

I wish they mentioned voice chat in that ad

Not as much as I wish it did! ;)

Edited by Kav
Automerged Doublepost

I'm not "looking into it", we know it'll have online, I'm just wondering why they don't mention it. It is a selling point after all... probably moreso than the 8 player local play in all honesty. ::shrug:

The message it gives is that online isn't a focus once again... and that isn't good, surely..?

It's good that the image they're putting across is more a handheld than home console. I do think a hybrid is the right move for Ninty.

Not as much as I wish it did! ;)

Exactly on all counts, we know it will have online so why mention it? In that regard, i think 8 player local is a better feature, also one the competition doesn't have.

But yeah, the hyrbrid is why this thing is incredible, they just need to keep ramming it home. I think all their adverts are really good!

Exactly on all counts, we know it will have online so why mention it?...

We know, but some people may well not. Parents looking to get things for their kids for instance, newcomers to gaming perhaps.

It's better they have it in than out!