NEurope
Hogge

Arms

The 1 on 1 matches are great.

The 2 v 2, no thanks.

Funny you say that. 2 V 2 is where @Dcubed and I exceled.

Yeah, we gave it a go, I'm sure we were the only ones there as a duo.

No-one playing this has actual friends, it seems.

Not gonna lie, I have to eat my words. This game is fun. Definitely have to practice blocking and curving punches. But that hour flew by. Was starting to get the hang of working out a strategy.

Kudos ARMS, you did what Splatoon couldn't.

That said, it's very multiplayer focused, so I won't be buying it myself.

Yeah, it's pretty great. Figured out that to throw a curve punch with the motion controls, you're supposed to throw a straight punch and THEN curve afterwards though, rather than just try to throw curve punches. Basically you punch and then control the ARM's trajectory in mid air.

There's a lot tucked away in the help section. Didn't even know that there was a parry move! Also you can do a whip crack with the slapamander by doing a downwards whip cracking motion after punching! There's a ton of depth hidden away in this game!

But yeah! Game is pretty awesome. I'm jostling for the full game right now! :D

Edited by Dcubed

Kudos ARMS, you did what Splatoon couldn't.

What couldn't Splatoon do?

My first 15-30 minutes with ARMS was relatively weak, almost to the point where I thought it might be best to cancel my preorder..

I started with the motion controls and, as has been highlighted by others, it felt like I wasn't in total control. Having said that, we were all just stepping into a brand new game for the first time :heh:

I moved to more traditional controls and had a little more success, despite confusing which buttons were which constantly!

I eventually returned to motion controls and had much more fun, partially due to an increased understanding of how some things worked :smile:

In the end, I had fun and will probably enjoy it more when I fully get a grasp of how to play it well, even if fighting games have never been a strong point :red:

What couldn't Splatoon do?

Give me some enjoyment. Like, seriously? Do you read any of my posts?

Hi, my name's Glen. I never enjoyed Splatoon for the whole week I tried it out. It was incredibly boring.

In other words, I kinda think it's a bit rubbish.

Give me some enjoyment. Like, seriously? Do you read any of my posts?

Hi, my name's Glen. I never enjoyed Splatoon for the whole week I tried it out. It was incredibly boring.

In other words, I kinda think it's a bit rubbish.

:blank:

ok...

One thing I do have to say... I wonder how many people won't give motion controls a fair shake because they're holding it wrong...

I mean, even I got stuck a bit at the start before I figured out that I wasn't supposed to hold it in the normal stance like a div, but that I was supposed to use the thumbs up grip.

Also they don't really make it very clear that you're supposed to punch and THEN put spin on your shot with the motion controls. At the start I was just instinctively throwing curved punches; it wasn't till near the end of the Testpunch hour when I found out that you're supposed to put English on it AFTER throwing a straight punch.

If even I got confused for a bit, then I can't imagine most obstinate "gamers" giving it a chance :heh: Shame really, because they're clearly the best controls and what the game was designed around.

I was totally unaware of the times of the testpunch.. I saw people posting about it here, so I quickly went online.. Just in time for the tutorial and 2 practice games.

I think I like the motion controls in general (I didn't try other controls), but I want them to be tighter. Could be a matter of finetuning in the settings (if there are any), getting used to the gameplay, or perhaps it was just a quirk of the character I was trying out. Anyway, I'm up for the next round, and I'll be using motion controls again, though I'll be checking out the other characters.

It baffles me though, why I can't play the single player portion outside of the multiplayer test sessions. Though it's good it has a single player option anyway, unlike the Splatoon test.

Holy shit, playing testpunch rn, this game is legit great. Super super surprised by how deep it seems as a fighter. £50 price tag is just a massive boner killer though.

Played ARMS a few times before, only in motion.

Testing out on button controls and I'm not only doing better, I'm enjoying it more

I will definitely be giving the motion controls more of a go Dcubed, I just tried them out for 20 mins in the current session and had a much better time of it than I did last night. I think the problem was that I hadn't played the game at all before so I had to learn the quirks of the game as well as the controls. I'm still not sure if i'll buy the full game, but I've had enough fun playing it to want to play more, unlike Splatoon where it didn't click for me at all because I was so bad at it I never got more than 30 seconds before I got killed, at least with ARMS you can spend some time in the practice area and get used to the controls before being battered by another opponent.

Testing out on button controls and I'm not only doing better, I'm enjoying it more

How do you go about angling your punches with standard controls? As in both at the same time? I found that I got used to the motion controls pretty quick, but for sure in a competitive environment I'd def want to have a more precise control set.

Also, that volleyball mode is total gash.

Edited by The Bard
Automerged Doublepost

Played this Testpunch using standard controls. I wasn't very good but I enjoyed it all the same. Going to try motion controls tomorrow.

Fuck me this game is amazing! Took a little while to get used to, wasn't amazing at it, but absolutely loved it. Though I think I'm pretty good at V-ball!!

@Hero\-of\-Time Weirdly, you can press the home button on grip, handheld and pro mode, just not thumbs up... bizarre!!

I tried the buttons, actually pretty good, you basically use the left stick to direct the arms after you've thrown, so obviously not as complex as motion, but pretty good. I didn't know how to block using the buttons though (I do now) so it was pretty tough!

Can't wait until 7. Can't believe how good it is.

Also the party mode idea is so so good. Mixing and matching all the time, also didn't know you could have 3/4 player free for alls thought 4 player was just for 2 v2 so that was a great surprise.

Fuck me this game is amazing! Took a little while to get used to, wasn't amazing at it, but absolutely loved it. Though I think I'm pretty good at V-ball!!

@Hero\-of\-Time Weirdly, you can press the home button on grip, handheld and pro mode, just not thumbs up... bizarre!!

I tried the buttons, actually pretty good, you basically use the left stick to direct the arms after you've thrown, so obviously not as complex as motion, but pretty good. I didn't know how to block using the buttons though (I do now) so it was pretty tough!

Can't wait until 7. Can't believe how good it is.

Also the party mode idea is so so good. Mixing and matching all the time, also didn't know you could have 3/4 player free for alls thought 4 player was just for 2 v2 so that was a great surprise.

Is there any way to change focus to another player when playing a 3/4 free for all. I found myself getting smacked from behind, when I wanted to turn around to club them back, I couldn't.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Is there any way to change focus to another player when playing a 3/4 free for all. I found myself getting smacked from behind, when I wanted to turn around to club them back, I couldn't.

If you're playing with the 'Thumbs Up' stance, press Y on the Right Joy-Con :smile: Otherwise, it's the right stick on standard controllers.. though I'm not sure what it is with a single Joy-Con ::shrug:

I played for the full hour again and I definitely like it :hehe:

There are many skills and techniques that I will have to get better with when ARMS releases next month, including experimenting more with each character and finding the right weapons for me!

I ususally shy away from playing fighting games online because it's not a genre I've ever really been into or good at but hopefully I'll be able to hold my own in this. I was delighted to see the game run silky smooth despite my weak internet connection :grin:

I don't think I'll take part in any more of the 'Test Punch' sessions as I've already made my mind up to get it. I'll probably enjoy exploring it all further when I have the game in my hands.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

As nando said. Ultimately it's the button your finger naturally rests on in thumbs up mode. They make it really co fusing by saying it's the top button, but in thumbs up mode it's actually the right on. Ultimately, the closest to your left fingers as they wrap around.

I'm fairly sure my preference will be the 'Thumbs Up' grip but ultimately I think I'll want to be competent, or at the very least comfortable, with both motion and standard controls so that I can play in handheld mode or even with sideways Joy-Con with my friends on the big screen :hehe:

How do you go about angling your punches with standard controls? As in both at the same time? I found that I got used to the motion controls pretty quick, but for sure in a competitive environment I'd def want to have a more precise control set.

Also, that volleyball mode is total gash.

You can curve with the control sticks

Managed to get on before Doctor Who tonight to try the motion controls. Like others have said here, the motion controls are the way you're supposed to play this. Can do so much more compared to standard controls.

The only change I'd make is allowing the left analogue stick to control movement while using the motion controls. Found it awkward to move by tilting.

It's also eased my fears on the Switch motion controls being naff. My experience in Zelda was very frustrating as the motion controlled shrines never seemed to track correctly.

Definitely going to buy this.

Tried this out over the weekend. Was absolutely abysmal at first, however after about 3 test sessions I seem to be getting the hang of things a bit. Fighting games have never been my best genre but as long as I lost while knowing what I was doing and at least trying to fight somewhat competently then I'm OK.

Rocking the ninja guy and it took me a few goes to try and find out what my favourite combination was. Had a pretty epic victory when I was knocked down to about one health left and came back to win.

DA39MEHUIAEa2ck.jpg

I don't like the motion controls on this, but with button controls it's a perfectly reasonable fighting game with some decent strategy to it. Hopefully the full game will be more in depth and an actual single player tournament campaign will help refine players to get to know how all the different arm weapons work as well as unlocking new ones. Plus with a lack of boxed games on the Switch so far (Breath of the Wild being the only one I've got so far) I'm tempted to pick this up.

Plus with a lack of boxed games on the Switch so far (Breath of the Wild being the only one I've got so far) I'm tempted to pick this up.

Whatever you do, don't let this be the deciding factor in whether you buy a game or not. Especially during a launch window.

It's setting yourself up for buyer's remorse.

Played the test fire thing of this today.

Really really enjoyed it.

I loved it when I played it at the Switch event back in Feb (?) so I was looking forward to this. Didn't get chance to play any yesterday.

I didn't use motion controls this time, went with the Pro Controller instead. Took a little time to get used to it but once I had gone through the tutorial I was away.

In the actual online matches, I didn't lose one fight! It's like I was a fighting demon! Chose Ribbon Girl and paired her with the party popper arm and this weird wormy type arm. It was so good, controls felt very tight and I had so much enjoyment from it. I liked the volleyball game, that was pretty cool.

The 2 vs 2 I didn't enjoy on the first go, the second time I enjoyed it a lot more.

Either way, I've seen enough. This game can't come soon enough for me.