NEurope
Helmsly

Super Mario Odyssey

Absolutely loving the game so far and I've resisted going to the Metro Kingdom just yet while I hunt down moons and purple coins in the stages I've already been to! I imagine they'll eventually become trickier to find :grin:

Am I wrong for feeling like this is like a Mario-Kazooie..?

26 minutes ago, Blade said:

The post game moons are not so easy...

Spoiler (Reveal hidden contents)

Yup. I lost a fair few coins trying to nab both moons on that stage, as well. :D 

23 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Am I wrong for feeling like this is like a Mario-Kazooie..?

Nope. That's exactly what it is. The big worlds, the transformations/Cappy captures and the ability to collect multiple moons without being kicked out of the level, all these things are straight up Banjo. Maybe this is why Inlove the game so much as I always rated Banjo-Kazooie higher than Mario 64.

Initial impressions are that it’s good but not great. Playing with the JoyCon doesn’t feel right, it’s much better with the Pro Controller.

I’ve only been on the first 3 worlds and whereas it’s good, it’s not been anywhere near as fun as the start of the Galaxy games or even 3D World.

I do prefer the level style Galaxy has to the open world design of this.

It’s still good of course, better than any non-Mario platformers out there, but it’s got a long way to go to be on par with the top tier Mario games for me so far.

I have to agree that this is a good game but not great.

I agree with a few comments I've seen about the game being easy. Well, not so much easy but, in my opinion, a lot of the things you have to do to earn moons are pretty trivial. They feel more or less like something you gradually accumulate without too much trouble while going through the level rather than being a huge driving force like in previous games. Stomping glowing spots on the ground for instance (literally one in a pile of rubbish in one of the levels). I can't help but feel this adds nothing and they would have done a better job having less moons but more meaningful ones.

As a mechanic, taking control of things with your hat and even the feel of throwing the hat doesn't feel as good as controlling something like the FLUDD in previous games (which felt pretty darn good). Given controlling Mario has always been a highlight for me in these games, the over-reliance on this mechanic isn't super exciting to me.

Overall I am enjoying the game but I don't feel compelled to play it every night, which is a shame. I was looking forward to a more open world take again but somehow this game feels like a similar, very polished game that has gone before but on a much bigger scale. Contrast this to Zelda which basically rewrote the rule book this year and left me very much wowed.

• Like 2

Just snapped up the Odyssey theme for the 3DS. It's currently half price (80p) and it plays Jump Up! When you're on your home screen. :yay:

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Overall I am enjoying the game but I don't feel compelled to play it every night..

Thankfully, I feel like I want to play this all the time :grin: I was always a little dubious about the more open nature of the game but I'm loving it so far :hehe:

As for the Banjo-Kazooie comparison, I kinda disliked Tooie but this feels like that type of platformer done right. The sound when you first collect a flower in the Wooded Kingdom to send Mario running really fast is extremely reminiscent of Click Clock Wood from Banjo-Kazooie :grin:

8 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Thankfully, I feel like I want to play this all the time :grin: I was always a little dubious about the more open nature of the game but I'm loving it so far :hehe:

As for the Banjo-Kazooie comparison, I kinda disliked Tooie but this feels like that type of platformer done right. The sound when you first collect a flower in the Wooded Kingdom to send Mario running really fast is extremely reminiscent of Click Clock Wood from Banjo-Kazooie :grin:

And me. I'm absolutely buzzing about this game.

I was watching some Sunshine videos earlier today. Odyssey is the true sequel to both 64 and Sunshine :D

Edited by Blade
  • Like 1

I've just done Metro Kingdom. Damn. My favourite part of the game so far. Absolutely loved it. And it's funny, as that's the level that I thought looked the ropiest from all of the trailers! :o

That opening section of it looks absolutely gorgeous. 

I can't get enough of the game at the minute. I love the easy moons that you can get anywhere. I feel like it needs to have those in there as some of them are obviously going to get a lot more challenging as time goes on with the game. 

I also like the surprise moons that you can stumble across. Won't ruin anyone's surprises by mentioning specifics, but they do always raise a smile when I think I might find something somewhere, and do. :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Blade said:

And me. I'm absolutely buzzing about this game.

I was watching some Sunshine videos earlier today. Odyssey is the true sequel to both 64 and Sunshine :D

I cleared Sunshine last year again and it didn't hold up for me at all. It's always been my least favourite 3D Mario title, the only one I haven't beat 100%, and playing it on 2016 further cemented those feelings. Even the much-lauded FLUDDless stages felt imprecise and frustrating at times.

To have that game mentioned with Odyssey made me more apprehensive but any pictures or videos I saw helped to melt away my anxiety :smile:

Anyway, I just helped my brother uncover a few moons on his Switch but watching him play was a highly frustrating experience. He has been playing games for as long as me but sometimes you wouldn't know it :red: Even camera control seems to be a real barrier for him :hmm:

Wow!

Spoiler

I just played through the New Donk City Festival. What an incredible throwback to the old Donkey Kong arcade machine. Jesus, I was playing on the bus, and I swear I almost cried a couple of times just because of how good the level and the music was! Amazing game :D:D:D 

I tried the jumprope yesterday. Got 114 on my first go :P. It was easier than I thought. And I love the reference the rope girls have before you start jumping. "Jump, man!" Yes, Nintendo, I see what you did there.

Edited by ArtMediocre

13 hours ago, nekunando said:

I cleared Sunshine last year again and it didn't hold up for me at all. It's always been my least favourite 3D Mario title, the only one I haven't beat 100%, and playing it on 2016 further cemented those feelings. Even the much-lauded FLUDDless stages felt imprecise and frustrating at times.

Yeah, Sunshine did feel difficult at the time (if I recall correctly, it was widely seen as a negative), but I am proud to have 100% completed it.  The two I couldn't 100% complete were Galaxy 2 and 3D World, which I somewhat resent, to be honest.

13 hours ago, nekunando said:

Anyway, I just helped my brother uncover a few moons on his Switch but watching him play was a highly frustrating experience. He has been playing games for as long as me but sometimes you wouldn't know it :red: Even camera control seems to be a real barrier for him :hmm:

It's a shame, but this game has reminded me how important camera control is.  Just little things like the skipping rope reminded me how much I like choosing the perfect angle.

4 hours ago, ArtMediocre said:

Wow!

Early spoiler in New Donk City (Reveal hidden contents)

I just played through the New Donk City Festival. What an incredible throwback to the old Donkey Kong arcade machine. Jesus, I was playing on the bus, and I swear I almost cried a couple of times just because of how good the level and the music was! Amazing game :D:D:D 

I tried the jumprope yesterday. Got 114 on my first go :P.

Wow. :o

How are people spending their time playing this game then?

I've had a lot of TV time to myself since I got it last week so have rarely payed in handheld mode, but when I do I don't find it quite as immersive. I much prefer playing on the big TV with the Pro Controller. 

Just done snow / ice kingdom. Loved it. 

Playing this game just makes me happy. 

9 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

I've had a lot of TV time to myself since I got it last week so have rarely payed in handheld mode, but when I do I don't find it quite as immersive. I much prefer playing on the big TV with the Pro Controller. 

I play it split joycons, as recommended. I find them fine to use.

I would ordinarily use the pro controller as it is far more comfortable but I don't want to miss out on the motion exclusive moves.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

On my commute to/from work mostly.

If on the TV I’ll use the Pro Controller.

Edited by Kav
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

At the moment, I don't feel like I'll ever need to purchase a Pro Controller so I'm happily playing with the split Joy-Con (including wrist straps, naturally :grin: ) while docked though I've also obtained plenty of moons in handheld form too :hehe:

I absolutely love the Switch :love:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nekunando said:

the split Joy-Con (including wrist straps, naturally :grin: )

Safety first nando... :cheeky:

I'm still tidying up, collecting moons from various kingdoms. I'm up to the Seaside Kingdom and it's really a chore. I still need 10 or so and I have no clue where they are which unfortunately makes me spend too much time in this kingdom. May want to skip the Volley-ball challenge as it's nothing but a chore to reach the 100 returns.

This and Lake Kingdom are just so slow and boring to explore.

Volleyball is easy. You just position Mario in the center of the court and use Cappy to hit the ball back. Mario should never really move. I got a score of 200+ doing that method. 

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Volleyball is easy. You just position Mario in the center of the court and use Cappy to hit the ball back. Mario should never really move. I got a score of 200+ doing that method. 

Yeah, I know. But is it fun? Not in the least. And I just know that I'll miss the shot after 90 hits or something.

• Like 1

Objectively I agree with some of the criticism.. But I'm having fun regardless. Except the volleyball minigame, what the fuck @Hero-of-Time? That is crazy.

But damn, I absolutely loved that end sequence. That song was awesome.. Especially within that context. it really got me pumped.. And it was a real cool ending to the main story. I will now play that song on every level.

Spoiler

I'm using the joy-cons by the way. It took some getting used to, as I've barely used them, and I prefer the pro controller, but I like having access to the motion controls. Most of them are doable with the pro controller, but they don't feel natural. Luckily most of the other controls are pretty basic, so the joy-cons suffice.

I thought I was headed to the Metro Kingdom but it seems there's more to do before that :grin:

This is such a wonderful game and I'm so eager to play more. There just aren't enough hours in the day!

• Like 1

I’m really enjoying this, nabbing most stars on a world before moving on to the next - it really is a great game for the commute, it makes my journey a joy...

...but so far, I’m only up to the Lakeside Kingdom bear in mind, it’s not as good a platformer as Titanfall 2 was.

I don’t get the 10/10 scores, it’s a 9 at best so far, a solid 8 at worst.

I’m really enjoying this, nabbing most stars on a world before moving on to the next - it really is a great game for the commute, it makes my journey a joy...
...but so far, I’m only up to the Lakeside Kingdom bear in mind, it’s not as good a platformer as Titanfall 2 was.
I don’t get the 10/10 scores, it’s a 9 at best so far, a solid 8 at worst.
I got so confused at this comment. Couldn't work out why HoT had flipped and now wasn't finding the game as good as before.

One of you shave, or put on a hat or something.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4