NEurope
Helmsly

Super Mario Odyssey

I've just had a nightmare trying to nab a Power Moon

Spoiler

• Haha 1

I love those sections. They remind me very much of the sections in Sunshine when they take away your water pack.

what_are_you_playing_right_now.png
Always that one person..

Spoiler

mario_chilly.png
It's a bit Chilly here.

mario_shame.png
It's hard to please everyone, but this doesn't get mario down.

mario_so_long_gay_bowser.png
So long, Bowser!

mario_what_dresscode.png
Always dressed for the occasion.

mario_when_mario_met_pauline.png
When Mario met Pauline. A New Donk love story.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Glen-i said:

So I think I'm two worlds away from the pre-credits final battle. Around 130 starsshines, moons. And I've got a few things to say. Firstly...

DNLy2kbVwAAb6er.jpg:large

Y'all suck at skipping

That's throwing down the gauntlet. (Tries to improve on my 30+...) :laughing:

Secondly, this has to be the most conflicting Mario game I've played. Am I missing something? This doesn't seem any more special than 64 or Sunshine. Which is great, don't get me wrong. Like BOTW, this is a little bit overhyped so far. Unlike BOTW, I am enjoying it. New Donk City has been the highlight so far. Everything about the set pieces was astounding. The rest of the worlds feel pretty run of the mill, some good, some boring. Mario is a joy to control, but then, when isn't he? This Mario is great though, so much momentum and the extra joy con tricks feel great. I've already mastered the double jump-hat flick-ground pound-dive manuever and it allows for all sorts of skips.

I'd say it is that clear leap over 64 and Sunshine.  Just from the way it's built and how much is going on.  But then again, I thought Breath of the Wild was a huge leap over the other Zeldas; just not as good.  Even now I think it's more overrated than overhyped, as I remember the excitement when playing it for the first time.  It was very real.

But am I the only one who feels like about half of the moons don't need to be there? They're just everywhere. And half of them aren't very satisfying to find. It's Korok Seeds all over again. It also reinforces to me that I prefer Galaxy and 3D Worlds more focused platforming.

I loved doing the Korok Seed puzzles; it was just finding them that was the problem.  There definitely should have been a feature for that regardless of paid DLC.  I love the fact in Odyssey that you can just keep stumbling across Power Moons, whereas others take more effort.  It keeps that sense of reward going.

Only played a little as my son won't get off it. It sure does feel amazing!! 

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I love those sections. They remind me very much of the sections in Sunshine when they take away your water pack.

I would totally enjoy a game with only those sections. 

Still trying to conquer Champion's Road. The second section is too tricky and it takes so much time to get there... I have and love it.

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

what_are_you_playing_right_now.png
Always that one person..

That has superior taste?

I bet that was me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ike said:

That has superior taste?

I bet that was me.

That reminds me of when everyone was playing Pokémon R/B/Y and mentioned here that I was the only one on their friend list not playing it.

I was playing Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon. So I did have superior taste.

A little part of me kinda wants to be that guy. I want to try FE Warriors.

2 hours ago, Grazza said:

I loved doing the Korok Seed puzzles; it was just finding them that was the problem.  There definitely should have been a feature for that regardless of paid DLC.  I love the fact in Odyssey that you can just keep stumbling across Power Moons, whereas others take more effort.  It keeps that sense of reward going.

I find it gives a diminishing feeling when I just stumble upon a Moon that required very little effort on my part. There was one pretty ridiculous example about halfway through the game. There was a Moon in a block that I had to manipulate an enemy into destroying and that was all well and good, but after I got it, I turned the camera a little, and lo and behold, another moon on a ledge that only required me to drop down about a foot to get. That second moon added absolutely nothing. It was just there for the sake of being there.

EDIT: This is what I mean.

Edited by Glen-i

1 hour ago, Ike said:

That has superior taste?

I bet that was me.

I wouldn't mind if you didn't think Mario Odyssey was great, but to show superior taste you need to come with something better than a musou game.

I can't remember for certain, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't you.

20 minutes ago, Blade said:

@Hero-of-Time :grin:

Spoiler (Hide contents)

You monster!!!

In other news, I've just beaten the equivalent of this games Champions Road. :yay: It's less intense than Champions Road but it feels easier and longer. 

I'll post some pics once I get in from the cinema.

47 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You monster!!!

In other news, I've just beaten the equivalent of this games Champions Road. :yay: It's less intense than Champions Road but it feels easier and longer. 

I'll post some pics once I get in from the cinema.

Damn. I hoped I could be first... But I still have trouble with 

Spoiler

Where you are a poky bird or whatever it's called. Can't get it to stick to the last part of the planks. It's utterly frustrating as I nail every part up to there without taking too much damage on a normal run. Bit otherwise I agree, it doesn't seem too hard at all just long. (That's what she said?)

Edited by MindFreak

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

I wouldn't mind if you didn't think Mario Odyssey was great, but to show superior taste you need to come with something better than a musou game.

I can't remember for certain, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't you.

Just trying to make the wait until Christmas a bit easier. :cry:

• Haha 1

Sold out at my local(ish) Game. I’ve got £20 in store credit there so I’ll pick it up when it’s back in instead of getting it elsewhere.

So i finally got to the credits a few hours ago. Very fun game and i'm far from finished with it.

That last part was a nice surpries. After the credits is an even better one :D

Edited by martinist

Credits rolled. Pretty spectacular end boss sequence (To be fair, the past three games have had spectacular end boss sequences) even if I called every single thing that happened. I even guessed at what happened after the credits. The map gave it away for me.

All in all, it's solid. I still maintain that a handful of worlds are too big for their own good, but the later ones felt more like the Galaxy style of levels I prefer.

I'll probably tackle the post-game once the Switch recharges.

11 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I even guessed at what happened after the credits. The map gave it away for me..

Hmm.. This post just reminded me of something I think I caught a glimpse of regarding the map a few weeks ago so I won't really be surprised if it turns out to be what I think..

I'm still very early in the game so I haven't really played enough to form any real thoughts yet but it promises to be a lot of fun, even if I may end up coming down on the same side as @Glen-i in preferring titles with more of a focus on platforming!

Just finished the credits.

A spectacular game! Fantastic. I've given my thoughts throughout the thread. They have not changed.

I knew the surprise post credits as I stumbled upon a painting that transferred me there.

3 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Damn. I hoped I could be first... But I still have trouble with 

That part (Hide contents)

Where you are a poky bird or whatever it's called. Can't get it to stick to the last part of the planks. It's utterly frustrating as I nail every part up to there without taking too much damage on a normal run. Bit otherwise I agree, it doesn't seem too hard at all just long. (That's what she said?)

Yeah, it's a pretty tricky section. If you get past that then you should be golden, as you aren't far off the end.

Here's my pics. 

Spoiler

DNPIGEvV4AAe821.jpg

You also unlock something for completing the final stage.

Spoiler

DNPIBABVQAE4LBO.jpg

1 hour ago, Blade said:

Just finished the credits.

A spectacular game! Fantastic. I've given my thoughts throughout the thread. They have not changed.

I knew the surprise post credits as I stumbled upon a painting that transferred me there.

Hang on, without spoilers... a painting you stumble on in a regular kingdom takes you to a post-credits world??? Bit strange Nintendo let people do that!

Is it something you can avoid to save the surprise?

5 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Hang on, without spoilers... a painting you stumble on in a regular kingdom takes you to a post-credits world??? Bit strange Nintendo let people do that!

Is it something you can avoid to save the surprise?

Yep it totally does. I thought it was odd too. It is quite hidden away but not too much. The painting gives the game away without even needing to jump in. I didn't realise it was a post game world until after the credits.

32 minutes ago, Blade said:

Yep it totally does. I thought it was odd too. It is quite hidden away but not too much. The painting gives the game away without even needing to jump in. I didn't realise it was a post game world until after the credits.

Weird

Edited by Ronnie

Would it have hurt to map the homing cap attack (double shake on the joy con) to a double tap of the Y button? 

I really hate motion controls. The only way I can see to do it on a pro controller is the shake it down twice which is hardly natural. 

Also, is there a way to extend your jumps like there was in Galaxy (yes, I know, motion controls) Obviously I know about the cap jump, but is there a way to do it in mid air as I'm struggling with doing this. I also know if you jump as the cap lands on your head, you'll get a slight boost but are there any other tricks? Finding platforming to be not as natural as Galaxy. 

Saw this on twitter just now lol

Edited by Helmsly
  • Haha 3