NEurope
Helmsly

Super Mario Odyssey

10 hours ago, drahkon said:

One thing: Nintendo and their obsession with motion controls...so dumb. Are there any Moons that you can't get without motion controls? 

I played most of the time with a Pro Controller and didn't have any issues so I don't think you have to worry about mandatory motion controls for the moons.

Though I haven't completed it so I don't know for certain.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I played most of the time with a Pro Controller and didn't have any issues so I don't think you have to worry about mandatory motion controls for the moons.

Did some reading around the webs and technically none of the moons require motion controls. They are significantly easier to get, though, i.e. if you don't use motion controls you need some very precise movements or weird tricks.
It's a damn shame Nintendo is still so adamant about shoving these controls in our faces.

Anyways, still enjoying the game. I've read that more moons open up for collection once you beat the game, so I decided to just go for the final boss and wait with thorough exploring 'til the end :) 
Here's hoping that later moons are more difficult to get, because so far the game has been easier than Kirby games. Maybe I'll try to get the moons that are easier with motions controls without motion controls to get a bit of a challenge out of it :p 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, drahkon said:

Here's hoping that later moons are more difficult to get, because so far the game has been easier than Kirby games. Maybe I'll try to get the moons that are easier with motions controls without motion controls to get a bit of a challenge out of it :p 

Yeahhhh...

That's one of the two things that I don't like about Odyssey. Too many moons and only 20 of them provide any remote challenge.

4 hours ago, drahkon said:

so far the game has been easier than Kirby games. 

4520646d3624c9acf78265f85b1177fe.jpg

Don't smack talk Kirby.

• Haha 2

I beat the main story a few weeks ago, currently in the process of mopping up all the Moons, currently up to Browser's kingdom. Other than two, I'm loving almost every moment.

Beat the story just now.

Great game, but waaaayyy too easy. I also really don't like how a lot of bosses are reused over and over again...

Not sure if I'll keep playing. There are other games waiting for me :D 

On 1.1.2020 at 7:27 PM, drahkon said:

Not sure if I'll keep playing. There are other games waiting for me :D 

Since I've stopped playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 I've decided to go back to Super Mario Odyssey

I'm now at 250 Power Moons and what do you know...another instance of bosses being reused. Is it too much to ask for a little more creativity with boss fights? :hmm: 

Anyway, great game but to be honest, it's nothing spectacular. A lot of the Power Moons are just busy work. It feels like the game was made for people who aren't great at video games, which is not particularly bad. It did, however, ruin my continuous experience with it. It's too easy. 
I've played the hardest level quite some time ago at a mate's and found it not very difficult, so I doubt I'm going to try and collect 250 more moons to unlock it. I will go back to some Kingdoms and collect a couple more moons, though, because I do like some of the worlds. :) 

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Since I've stopped playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 I've decided to go back to Super Mario Odyssey

I'm now at 250 Power Moons and what do you know...another instance of bosses being reused. Is it too much to ask for a little more creativity with boss fights? :hmm: 

Anyway, great game but to be honest, it's nothing spectacular. A lot of the Power Moons are just busy work. It feels like the game was made for people who aren't great at video games, which is not particularly bad. It did, however, ruin my continuous experience with it. It's too easy. 
I've played the hardest level quite some time ago at a mate's and found it not very difficult, so I doubt I'm going to try and collect 250 more moons to unlock it. I will go back to some Kingdoms and collect a couple more moons, though, because I do like some of the worlds. :) 

Solid 8/10?...😎

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Solid 8/10?...😎

Hehe :D 

No, I'd give it a 7/10 because that horrible theme song takes a point off the final score.

• Haha 3

I would've enjoyed the game much more if the "Moon Rock Power Moons" were the ones you had to get from the start. Some of them are a little more challenging. 
Anyways, up to 300-something moons. I'll go for 500 and finish that level until I move on to the next "big" game.

The perfect next Mario game for me would be: a Super Mario Galaxy-style game with the 2D-3D switching we have in Super Mario Odyssey. Those are easily the best sections of the game. The sequel should make the transitions seemlessly, though; i.e. without pipes. 

A man can dream...

Just finished, loved almost every moment of it. Got every single moon, although had to use amiibo for locations of a few. The Darker Side was extremely difficult (that damn pokey bird) but felt rewarding afterwards.

Then there was a long grind for money to get the remaining moons...and the same again for much much longer if I want to get the costumes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The finish line (for lack of a better non spoilery term) at the end of the Darker Side is fantastic. 

I've been so tempted to go back and play through it again, what a joy from start to finish.

Thanks go Balloon World, it wasn't actually too bad collecting enough coins for all the costumes.

So all moons, special coins, souvenirs/stickers and costumes collected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a random urge to play this again so started last night.

I haven't been able to get off it really it's just so enjoyable. 

I'm seeing things I don't even remember from my first play through in each world I have been in so far (done 4 world's) which is amazing. 

I never 100% each world on my first go through so will aim to do that this time. Or as close to without a guide anyway.

But I'm loving it. I remember the first time thinking some of the obvious moons obtained by just ground pounding a shiny spot was cheap and lazy. But I don't feel like that this time. The game seems to reward exploration, and if it's going to throw easy moons in along the way then I'm all for it. 

I also think it's one of the most pleasing platformers to control. Nintendo have really got Mario's movement and move set down to a fine art now. 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

I also think it's one of the most pleasing platformers to control. Nintendo have really got Mario's movement and move set down to a fine art now. 

Glad you're enjoying it, I genuinely could happily spend hours just running around the Sand or Cap Kingdoms. It's control and movement perfection, from the masters at it.

• Like 1

Five years since this gem of a game released, IGN released a brilliant video showing off a ton of little touches and easter eggs. Loads there I'd never seen before

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2