NEurope
Helmsly

Super Mario Odyssey

It's quite fitting that it's the 1 year anniversary of Odyssey, as this book celebrating the first 30 years of Mario dropped through my door today.

DqhjjYMXQAAU7D0?format=jpg

Over 250 pages of Mario goodness awaits.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ronnie said:

DqbvMTFUUAAYxTx.jpg:large

Brings back some great memories of this great game...

Yes, can't believe its been a year already. It seems they hid some pixel Luigi's and Toads in the Metro Kingdom .No idea if you get a reward for it though

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 2

Brilliant game.  I only ever got approx. 300 Moons, so have always wanted to get the rest; it's just finding the time.

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:33 PM, drahkon said:

Sadly, yes.

Celeste is a welcome change in that regard. That game kicks my ass and I love it :D 
Super Cloudbuilt, as well. 

That reminds me...I need to get back to those games.

How about trying to 1-cred some arcade games?  If you could complete Alpha Mission 2 or Metal Slug 3 (to name two difficult games I have on Switch) with one credit, that would be amazing.

16 minutes ago, Grazza said:

How about trying to 1-cred some arcade games?  If you could complete Alpha Mission 2 or Metal Slug 3 (to name two difficult games I have on Switch) with one credit, that would be amazing.

Never played those. Don't have a Switch so no idea if I'll ever get to play them ::shrug: 

There are enough indie games out there that challenge me, though :D Dead Cells now being the newest in my collection. :peace: 

The adventure begins....again.

DqiD9eAWoAApsbc?format=jpg

DqiELI3WoAA4I-r?format=jpg

DqiEPVHWoAUYlT6?format=jpg

DqiEUxlW4AENTm4?format=jpg

It feels great to be playing this. One of my mates text me this morning asking why I hadn't finished Assassin's Creed Odyssey yet and I replied how I was burnt out on massive open worlds ( my fault for playing two Creed games back to back ) and was looking for some Nintendo goodness to break things up a bit. Ironic that it's another Odyssey that has done just that. :D 

I know it's only been a year but I'm surprised by how good my memory is in terms of remembering the location of some of the more well hidden Moons. For example, like this one...

DqiLby_WwAAEMyB?format=jpg

I managed to nab over 75 Moons and reached the Metro Kingdom before I called it a day on my session.

• Like 3

I will come back tomorrow evening to read @Hero-of-Time's "Hey, I completed Super Mario Odyssey 8 times today; and I finished Assassin's Creed Odyssey twice."-post :p 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I actually didn't make it to Metro Kingdom. I forgot you have to make a detour to Cloud Kingdom and Lost Kingom after fighting Bowser. 

10 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's quite fitting that it's the 1 year anniversary of Odyssey, as this book celebrating the first 30 years of Mario dropped through my door today.

DqhjjYMXQAAU7D0?format=jpg

Over 250 pages of Mario goodness awaits.

I got it too, haven't opened yet. Hope it's good

I finished the game today.

DqnDbHvU4AI1wYL?format=jpg

Its crazy how short the game is if you just concentrate on nabbing only the Moons that are needed. I ended up with 160 by the end of the game. It was fun playing through it again but, having done so, I don't think it was as good as I remember it being.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I finished the game today.

DqnDbHvU4AI1wYL?format=jpg

Its crazy how short the game is if you just concentrate on nabbing only the Moons that are needed. I ended up with 160 by the end of the game. It was fun playing through it again but, having done so, I don't think it was as good as I remember it being.

After I completed Super Mario Odyssey and got all of the moons I'm pretty sure I was apprehensive about the possibility of ever going back through it again.

I felt like just playing to get to the credits would be way too quick and easy to provide enough satisfaction while attempting to collect every moon again would probably be too much of a slog.

I absolutely loved the game, of course, but, like Breath of the Wild, I'm not sure the structure lends itself particularly well to repeated playthroughs.

Edited by nekunando
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I felt like just playing to get to the credits would be way too quick and easy to provide enough satisfaction while attempting to collect every moon again would probably be too much of a slog.

I absolutely loved the game, of course, but, like Breath of the Wild, I'm not sure the structure lends itself particularly well to repeated playthroughs.

This is pretty much how I feel. Most of the more satisfying moons are the ones that are locked away behind end game material. When you look at the game from the perspective of playing it just to see the credits then I feel it does fall short compared to the likes of the Galaxy games and Mario 64.

I think part of the problem is just how many easy moons you can find just lying around the place. This means you don't necessarily need to grab the ones that are more story related. I can see why Nintendo made it this way. If a younger person is playing the game and can't beat a boss or challenge then the alternative is to just grab a moon that is in plain sight. This does allow for the game to be played and enjoyed by a younger audience but I think it damages the experience for others. At least that's what the case was with me in this repeated play through.

It's still an enjoyable game but I think I gave it too much credit during my original time on it last year.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This is pretty much how I feel. Most of the more satisfying moons are the ones that are locked away behind end game material. When you look at the game from the perspective of playing it just to see the credits then I feel it does fall short compared to the likes of the Galaxy games and Mario 64.

I think part of the problem is just how many easy moons you can find just lying around the place. This means you don't necessarily need to grab the ones that are more story related. I can see why Nintendo made it this way. If a younger person is playing the game and can't beat a boss or challenge then the alternative is to just grab a moon that is in plain sight. This does allow for the game to be played and enjoyed by a younger audience but I think it damages the experience for others. At least that's what the case was with me in this repeated play through.

It's still an enjoyable game but I think I gave it too much credit during my original time on it last year.

In terms of control, Super Mario Odyssey is probably the best Mario game date for me but I'm pretty sure I prefer both 3D World on Wii U and 3D Land on 3DS.. and both Galaxy games.. and Super Mario 64..

It is a brilliant game, obviously, but I suspect the follow up will be even better.. and yes, I feel that way of Breath of the Wild too :heh:

• Like 1

I think I enjoyed the experience of playing on the handheld Switch more than I did enjoy the actual game itself. Can't see myself ever replaying it all again, but then I rarely do.

Definitely agree with some of the above comments regarding moons and the overall difficulty.

I think the issue is that the game was designed around the hybrid concept, and they clearly wanted people to be able to pick up and play the game for 5-10 minutes and feel like they achieved something. The easiest way of doing this was to introduce a lot of moons and to make some of them very easy to capture. If you're playing this in handheld mode on a commute, the concept works and works well, but I would have preferred a greater degree in difficulty when it comes to getting some of them.

I feel like BOTW got the concept right. 120 Shrines (more challenging and rewarding to find/complete) and 900 Korok seeds, compared to 900 Moons but only 30-40 that I found rewarding to find.

• Like 1

Where were all of you when I was making that exact same point!?

I imagine the person who would most enjoy Odyssey is the speedrunner. Like, this game was astonishingly fun to watch on Games Done Quick a couple of days ago.

But casually playing is such a snooze fest. I wouldn't mind so much if the end-game challenges were on the same kind of challenge as 3D World or Galaxy 2, but that was lacking as well.

48 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Where were all of you when I was making that exact same point!?

I imagine the person who would most enjoy Odyssey is the speedrunner. Like, this game was astonishingly fun to watch on Games Done Quick a couple of days ago.

But casually playing is such a snooze fest. I wouldn't mind so much if the end-game challenges were on the same kind of challenge as 3D World or Galaxy 2, but that was lacking as well.

I was there, to be fair.. I'm just reiterating it now :grin:

19 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

THE N-E REVIEW STANDS THE TEST OF TIME! 😉😂

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

THE N-E REVIEW STANDS THE TEST OF TIME! 😉😂

I still think it's a fantastic game IF you do everything in it. If just playing it in a fashion of going from point A to B, I think that's where the game falls short and the cracks start appearing.

What I think the game was missing was a final kingdom or two before the Bowser fight that really tested the players understanding of the Mario's moveset.

Remember Tick Tock Clock at the end of Mario 64? Holy moly, that was super intimidating to me when I first played the game. I wish there was a level like that before the Bowser Kingdom.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Proof the Switch is entirely redundant.

Isn't that more proof that Mario Odyssey is redundant?

That video is nuts though!

Edited by Glen-i

Alright. After two very disappointing Switch exclusives (Golf Story and Astral Chain) it's time to play Super Mario Odyssey. Third time's the charm, aye? :p 

• Thanks 1

After Astral Chain it's great to play a game that knows what it wants to do/be. 

Had a lot of fun in the last two hours. Super Mario Odyssey plays great and is drop dead gorgeous.

One thing: Nintendo and their obsession with motion controls...so dumb. Are there any Moons that you can't get without motion controls? 

• Thanks 1