NEurope
Helmsly

Super Mario Odyssey

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:14 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

I found the volleyball one to be more a pain in the butt than the skipping one. You tried it yet?

Volleyball is just a pain because it takes forever to get going

Is there an easier way to get the skipping rope going because jumping into that is frustrating?

11 minutes ago, Serebii said:

Volleyball is just a pain because it takes forever to get going

I kept spiking it at he start to speed up the process.

7 minutes ago, Daft said:

Is there an easier way to get the skipping rope going because jumping into that is frustrating?

Do it on the moped

I...will give that a go. Not sure why that didn't cross my mind, I take the moped everywhere ha

I've put a good hour or two into the game now and made it to the desert kingdom, I'm going to spend the next few hours around here and the previous ones exploring, trying to pace myself and not rush through the kingdoms.

Really enjoyed the opening cinematic and the tutorial area, loads of charm and personality. So far Cappy seems like a fun companion.

I'm using the Pro controller and it seems to work perfectly fine. You can shake it to climb faster, shove it to the left to spin attack, and shake it to do a homing attack. Not sure I'm missing anything not playing with the joy-con.

Mario controls like a dream. I genuinely just spent ten minutes running around the desert doing nothing in particular and had a blast.

Nintendo have always had great gameplay, lovely visuals, expert level design and fantastic audio but in the last 5 or so years they've added an insane level of polish to their titles and it's never been more evident than in this game, at least at this early stage.

If I had to find any nitpicks at all it'd be the controls that flash up on screen and overstay their welcome, but it's a microscopic negative in the grand scheme of things.

Oh and the photo mode is great, I think I'll be spending as much time in that than the actual game!

Edited by Ronnie

22 hours ago, Helmsly said:

Video

I just tried this in a different kingdom, and it played a different song :O. Seems that there are a number of songs, maybe for each stage. It's a lovely detail :D

Edit: sorry Ronnie :S

Edited by ArtMediocre
  • Like 1

Credits rolling. Really enjoyed it, laughed at the ending, great little bit of comedy in there.

Finished with 367 Power Moons and now I’m looking forward to both the end game and going back for more.

All in all, as far as up to the credits go, I’d say it’s one of my least favourite 3D Mario games (I only enjoyed Sunshine less)... but that doesn’t say anything bad about it as they’re amongst the best games there are!

Theres just no tight platforming that both challenges & amazes like there were in the Galaxies and even 3D World - there’s been no “wow” moment.

Only heard about the option to use a random costume so I've started using that now for Mario. Nice to see the different combinations each time I die.

• Like 2

So I only noticed this recently (when messing around with photo mode :hehe:) but the 2D sections in the game actually use 3D models! If you get close to one of these sections, activate photo mode then zoom in and rotate the camera, you can see that all of the enemies, coins and even Mario himself are slightly raised from the surface. So cool.

Anyway, I've reached 600 power moons...

Spoiler

Looks like that's it for unlocking costumes until 999. Have to say though, I love how all of this stuff (which could've been locked to amiibo) was also obtainable in-game. Now that is how you handle amiibo content. :cheeky: Shame they didn't take the same approach with Breath of the Wild.

Anyone else slightly disappointed that the Metal Mario costume doesn't play this:

or have the metallic footsteps sound effect? :D

I've also been checking out Jump Up, Super Star! covers/remixes on YouTube, it's taken off in a big way:

Spoiler

Not surprising though, as it's such an amazing and inspiring piece of music. :love:

Stumbled upon this fun vid too :grin::

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really like how coins are given a purpose in this game. It's very noticeable how much I'm going out of my way to collect them whereas in previous 3D games they were kind of pointless and I didn't bother as much.

Edited by Ronnie

16 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Only heard about the option to use a random costume so I've started using that now for Mario. Nice to see the different combinations each time I die.

What's this?!

16 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

What's this?!

When you're selecting a costume in the wardrobe, you can press Y and it'll randomly pick two different items for you. It seems to randomize it again anytime you die as well

Spoiler

DOMQcMdVAAEUU-R.jpg

Unrelated to any of this, I just found out you can have multiple save slots (up to 5) in this game. For some reason its tucked away in Options>Data Management. All this time I was assuming I'd have to make a second account to start a new file without erasing my current one

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 2

Can someone who's finished the game explain how far from completing the Sand Kingdom I am please?

It's just turned to night-time after a battle on the pyramid, without specifics or spoilers, how many story moons are left in this Kingdom?

Can't decide whether to do the next moon or move on to another kingdom and come back later.

13 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Can someone who's finished the game explain how far from completing the Sand Kingdom I am please?

It's just turned to night-time after a battle on the pyramid, without specifics or spoilers, how many story moons are left in this Kingdom?

Can't decide whether to do the next moon or move on to another kingdom and come back later.

1 multi moon. You'll know you're done in a world when the amiibo bloke shows up.

That said, no moon (other than the first one) is mandatory.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

1 multi moon. You'll know you're done in a world when the amiibo bloke shows up.

That said, no moon (other than the first one) is mandatory.

Thanks for that. Are four story moons the norm/average for the rest of the Kingdoms? Sorry, I tend to overthink these things, but I just like to know what I'm getting into

Edited by Ronnie

Just now, Ronnie said:

Thanks for that. Are four story moons the norm/average for the rest of the Kingdoms? Sorry, I tend to overthink these things, but I just like to know what I'm getting into

No, it varies wildly depending on the size of each world.

On 31/10/2017 at 9:31 PM, Blade said:

The post game moons are not so easy...

Spoiler (Reveal hidden contents)

I did this one on the way into work this morning. First time I felt a challenge in the game which I’m glad of, more of this will do nicely... that first clip in your spoiler, exact same thing happened to me, haha.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kav said:

I did this one on the way into work this morning. First time I felt a challenge in the game which I’m glad of, more of this will do nicely... that first clip in your spoiler, exact same thing happened to me, haha.

Spoiler

I don’t know if that is a different one but I did both of those moons by just using my cap on the bullet bill and travelling as him to smash the blocks on the bottom  

2 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:
  How I did it (Hide contents)

I don’t know if that is a different one but I did both of those moons by just using my cap on the bullet bill and travelling as him to smash the blocks on the bottom  

Spoiler

I hat dived through it, like I did pretty much every moon in this game. That move is incredibly OP.

10 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:
  How I did it (Hide contents)

There's two sets of the same 2 moons. One you can use your hat and the other you cant. You have to long jump your way to the end while getting chased by the Bullet Bill and jump out the way so he smashes the wall.

• Like 1

That one took me so many tries. The second one, that is, did the first one by capturing the Bullet Bill. 

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

There's two sets of the same 2 moons. One you can use your hat and the other you cant. You have to long jump your way to the end while getting chased by the Bullet Bill and jump out the way so he smashes the wall.

Thanks. Guess I’m going back there again at somepoint.