NEurope
Helmsly

Super Mario Odyssey

Just now, Kav said:

I’m really enjoying this, nabbing most stars on a world before moving on to the next - it really is a great game for the commute, it makes my journey a joy...

...but so far, I’m only up to the Lakeside Kingdom bear in mind, it’s not as good a platformer as Titanfall 2 was.

I don’t get the 10/10 scores, it’s a 9 at best so far, a solid 8 at worst.

What do you mean you don't "get" the 10/10 scores?

I don't "get" how it can score an 8!

See how ridiculous that sounds. Its all opinion. The fact is this game has been univerally praised.

Interesting that you mention it is not as good "a platformer as Titanfall 2 was". Although an odd camprison and almost hyperbole it does raise a discussion what type of game Odyssey is.

I'd say Mario has three type of games going for it:

The pure 2D games

The 3D/ Galaxy games

64/Sunshine games

They are all three very different type of games. I'd say Odyssey fits in the 64/Sunshine type of game. Not a pure platformer in a "get to the goal post" through an obstacle course but of a sandbox exploration platform adventure.

I personally love it and if given the choice would prefer not to wait a further 15 years for a similar game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Blade you’ve said yourself how you don’t get how it scored an 8 on here! Albeit not in those exact words.

I mention Titanfall 2 because, so far, it had better platforming within it than this has. It’s not hyperbole, just my opinion... Titanfall 2 has awesome platforming sections!

I’m not shitting on the game, as I say, it’s good and very enjoyable.

37 minutes ago, Kav said:

I’m not shitting on the game, as I say, it’s good and very enjoyable.

I felt exactly the same as you after the first few worlds. After seeing the credits and doing a fair amount of the post-game content, it definitely picks up! Some of the later moons are tricky to get and you begin to appreciate the variety on offer in world design and how tightly put together they all are. 

I'm still on the fence as to whether I agree with the universal 10/10 praise, but I can see more clearly now why many called it that way. 

• Thanks 1

It's now the fastest selling Mario game.

REDMOND, Wash., Nov. 2, 2017 – In just five days, the new Super Mario Odyssey video game for the Nintendo Switch system sold more than 1.1 million units in the U.S. alone. That makes it the fastest-selling Super Mario game ever in the U.S., surpassing the New Super Mario Bros. Wii game. Super Mario Odyssey is also the fastest-selling game so far for Nintendo Switch.

• Like 2

Well that's good. Good to hear it's faster selling than the 2D titles, which in recent years have felt more like stale cash grabs.

22 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Well that's good. Good to hear it's faster selling than the 2D titles, which in recent years have felt more like stale cash grabs.

Such a shame as well. I absolutely loved New Super Mario Bros on the DS. I just wish they had progressed the series instead of basically remaking that game all over again.

13 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Such a shame as well. I absolutely loved New Super Mario Bros on the DS. I just wish they had progressed the series instead of basically remaking that game all over again.

New Super Mario Bros Wii and New Super Mario U were particularly great, as was New Super Luigi U but I definitely feel like they need to shake things up next time!

It'll be really interesting to see what Nintendo do with 2D Mario on Switch as we could get something completely fresh, an improved Mario Maker or yet another New Super Mario Bros title..

110% deserved.

Mario Odyssey is an absolute joy to play. I can't play it in handheld mode though because I want to be all comfy and have my big-ass TV to see it in all its glory.

My only negative of the game is that you can't pose Mario in any way for photo mode. Which is a shame because there are so many awesome things to take pictures of, but Mario's face is most just dead...starring off into the distance...he's been doing this shit for over 20 years...this is it...this is as good as it gets....Where was I? Ah yes, I want to select stupid faces for Mario to make. Like in the latest Uncharted photo mode.

The omission is doubly weird since you can pose Link in Zelda.

Edited by Daft
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, nekunando said:

New Super Mario Bros Wii and New Super Mario U were particularly great, as was New Super Luigi U but I definitely feel like they need to shake things up next time!

It'll be really interesting to see what Nintendo do with 2D Mario on Switch as we could get something completely fresh, an improved Mario Maker or yet another New Super Mario Bros title..

I found the Wii and U versions just kind of meh games that I felt like I'd played before.

I still think they should have gone along the retro titles giving them the "New" treatment. I'd love to have seen a "New" version of 2 & 3 from the NES and then a New Super Mario World.

1 hour ago, nekunando said:

...but I definitely feel like they need to shake things up next time!

Shake things up, you say....?

WiiMusic.gif?resize=349,248

BRING ON THE WAGGLE!!!

Spoiler

A couple of shots from near end game that I’ve taken which I find just amazing  

Bizarrely, it's cheaper to buy a Switch and a physical copy of this game from Amazon than it is to buy the bundle with a download code...

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

People are acting like the skipping is some impossible task. Besides, @drahkon remains the king of skipping on this forum.

At least in video games.

Skipping in real life? Fuck right off with that. No idea why, but I'm incapable of doing that. :laughing:

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Daft said:

My only negative of the game is that you can't pose Mario in any way for photo mode. Which is a shame because there are so many awesome things to take pictures of, but Mario's face is most just dead...starring off into the distance...he's been doing this shit for over 20 years...this is it...this is as good as it gets....Where was I? Ah yes, I want to select stupid faces for Mario to make. Like in the latest Uncharted photo mode.

Yes! I've said this, insane, I'd also go even further and allow you to change costumes in the photo bit too.

• Like 1

Getting to 100 in skipping feels impossible. Or at the very least pure luck.And volleyball, @Hero-of-Time How the hell do you have 242?!

And @Blade I wonder if mine or you groan was loudest when we saw @Kavs Titanfall post... #attentionseeker ;)

How are people trying the skipping? I’ve heard it’s a lot easier undocked as there’s just enough lag using a controller to cause issues.

32 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

Getting to 100 in skipping feels impossible. Or at the very least pure luck.And volleyball, @Hero-of-Time How the hell do you have 242?!

And @Blade I wonder if mine or you groan was loudest when we saw @Kavs Titanfall post... #attentionseeker ;)

I’ll not be bothering with the skipping, can’t be arsecwith that, haha.

Have you played Titanfall 2 Dazzybee? I’m now at New Donk City and there still hasn’t been any platforming section as good as there was in Titanfall 2!

To quote Eurogamer:

To actually go into detail about the specific gameplay tricks and one-shot gimmicks that Titanfall 2 employs would be doing an injustice to anyone looking forward to ploughing through the game, but the one constant that ran through my mind as I played was 'this is like a Nintendo game'. Or, should that be, a Nintendo game developed by the hands and minds behind Call Of Duty at its finest.

Edited by Kav
  • Like 1

Just hit the 500 power moon mark and have unlocked...

Spoiler

...what I assume is the Champion’s Road level of Odyssey. :grin: Unless there’s another location for reaching 999 moons. Anyway, don’t think I’ve made it too far into this particular challenge yet, but it seems to be chucking pretty much everything from Mario’s adventure into the mix. All kinds of environmental hazards and enemy types to capture, so lots of fun. :hehe:

I probably would’ve reached this point a bit sooner, but am still spending a huge amount of time messing around with the camera! So damn addictive!! :laughing: This feature simply must return in future Mario titles. Will get some of my shots posted in here soon.

Going to try and pace myself when it comes to collecting the remaining power moons now, but the game is just so well designed and so much fun to play that it isn’t easy to slow down. I might need to take even more pictures to help me with that. :D

Edited by RedShell

I just had a 'costume' spoiled by a tweet that GameXplain liked. Absolutely gutted as it's such a cool inclusion that I'd have preferred to discover myself :hmm:

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Just hit the 500 power moon mark and have unlocked...

Hide contents

...what I assume is the Champion’s Road level of Odyssey. :grin: Unless there’s another location for reaching 999 moons. Anyway, don’t think I’ve made it too far into this particular challenge yet, but it seems to be chucking pretty much everything from Mario’s adventure into the mix. All kinds of environmental hazards and enemy types to capture, so lots of fun. :hehe:

I probably would’ve reached this point a bit sooner, but am still spending a huge amount of time messing around with the camera! So damn addictive!! :laughing: This feature simply must return in future Mario titles. Will get some of my shots posted in here soon.

Going to try and pace myself when it comes to collecting the remaining power moons now, but the game is just so well designed and so much fun to play that it isn’t easy to slow down. I might need to take even more pictures to help me with that. :D

I've got approximately 350 moons and am taking a break now myself.  It's one of the most intense games I've played for ages - maybe too intense for me nowadays, to be honest!  I prefer something more sedate, like a nice, turn-based RPG.  Good thing Etrian Odyssey V arrived!

• Like 1