NEurope
Helmsly

Super Mario Odyssey

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The whole main game is pretty easy. If that's annoying you a lot then i'm afraid it's not going to get much better.

Oh boy...so I won't enjoy the game as much when I eventually play it.

Why can't Nintendo just release a Mario game that consists only of variations of Champion's Road (but more difficult :p)? :(

Just now, drahkon said:

Why can't Nintendo just release a Mario game that consists only of variations of Champion's Road (but more difficult :p)? :(

Haha. :D

Probably because they want players of all ages to enjoy and finish the game.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Haha. :D

Probably because they want players of all ages to enjoy and finish the game.

It's always about the children...

Fucking kids.

Just now, drahkon said:

It's always about the children...

Fucking kids.

There were plenty of adults who couldn't finish Champions Road, as well. :p 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

There were plenty of adults who couldn't finish Champions Road, as well. :p 

Amateurs :p

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

There other day I posted this gif the other day...

giphy.gif

...to celebrate the sheer awesomeness of a level I played. Now that the game is officially out, I can now upload my video. These are spoilers for one of the last moons you collect in New Donk City, so be warned.

New Donk City Spoilers (Reveal hidden contents)

Another cool video that I captured in New Donk City was this...

More New Donk City Spoilers (Reveal hidden contents)

I completely finished off the first and second worlds last night and have now got over 300 moons. I ended up waking up early today just to get an hour in before I headed off to work. The game has me hooked. :D 

Impressive. One thing I've yet to discover after completing the story is this:

Spoiler

How many bundles of 10 moons can you buy at the shops? And are they counted towards completing the game or are they just cheating the system? 

I have 450 moons now but have bought a couple of Moon Bundles.

16 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Impressive. One thing I've yet to discover after completing the story is this:

Shops (Reveal hidden contents)

How many bundles of 10 moons can you buy at the shops? And are they counted towards completing the game or are they just cheating the system? 

I have 450 moons now but have bought a couple of Moon Bundles.

Man, the first sentence by me that you quoted is pretty rough. I need to stop posting while i'm still half asleep. Saying that, it's still not as bad as Dazzybee's typing. :D 

Spoiler

I think it's just cheating the system. I've only bought 1 Moon from each area ( 2 from Cascade Kingdom) but haven't bothered with the bundles. I think it's just there for players who want to unlock the later stages but without having to grab the moons themselves. I could be wrong, though. At this early stage i'm just guessing. ::shrug:

Edited by Hero-of-Time

16 minutes ago, Kaxxx said:

Why cant NintendoUK handle a game launch? My copy is still not despatched.

Weird, they shipped mine yesterday.

This is a lovely game and a great entry for the series, but at the same time it's very straightforward, you just plow through moon collection without much brainpower. The biggest challenge is that damn purple insta-death goo which I fall victim to frequently just because I'm rushing. And it kinda feels more like an entry in the BK series than a Mario game, what with all the NPCs with their gibberish voices and jokes/riddles.

Those are my only gripes though, it's a very fun experience. Doesn't do anything to topple Galaxy or SM64 as my fav 3D Marios, but a worthy outing and great use of the Switch visually/technically.

• Like 2

Yeah the game isn't difficult, but neither is any Mario. I found Galaxy for instance very easy to get the mimimum amount to fight Bowser.

In Odyssey you do stumble across power moons quite a lot there are lots that require a little bit of thought and effort to obtain. 

Yeah I won't be waiting till mid November to play this as originally planned lol. @Hero-of-Time I think you and I are on the same page when it comes to the Mario series, so am relieved you like it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Blade said:

Yeah the game isn't difficult, but neither is any Mario. I found Galaxy for instance very easy to get the mimimum amount to fight Bowser.

In Odyssey you do stumble across power moons quite a lot there are lots that require a little bit of thought and effort to obtain. 

Exactly. Having played through a few of the Mario games last week, this is statement is spot on. Mario 64, Galaxy, 3D World are all pretty easy, with the exception of the odd level here and there. I mentioned it earlier in the thread but the challenge of this game comes not from the platforming but in tracking down the Power Moons. 

• Like 2

Just done:

Spoiler

In Donk City the Donkey Kong level whilst Pauline is singing the Odyssey song. Wow that was something special. I absolutely loved it and didnt want it to end.

How anyone can claim that this game lacks the Nintendo magic and soul is beyond me. It never stops me from grinning.

Edited by Blade

3 minutes ago, Blade said:

Just done:

Spoiler (Reveal hidden contents)

In Donk City the Donkey Kong level whilst Pauline is singing the Odyssey song. Wow that was something special. I absolutely loved it and didnt want it to end.

How anyone can claim that this game lacks the Nintendo magic and soul is beyond me. It never stops me from grinning.

Yup. It's such an amazing moment.

That's the video I posted which Mindfreak quoted a few posts up. You can look at it now that you've beaten the stage. 

Not sure I have you on my friends list Hero, was checking one of the leaderboards in Mario earlier and you weren't listed. Whats your friendcode?

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Not sure I have you on my friends list Hero, was checking one of the leaderboards in Mario earlier and you weren't listed. Whats your friendcode?

No idea. :D Unless it's listed somewhere on here, I'll have to add you once I get in from work.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Blade said:

Just done:

Spoiler (Reveal hidden contents)

Not just ANYONE... ;)

It definitely has some stand out moments, like that one :)

• Haha 1

No idea. Unless it's listed somewhere on here, I'll have to add you once I get in from work.
You mean you don't remember your 16 digit friend code off by heart?!

I love reading the maps to the Kingdoms i visit. 

Its the little touches.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ike said:

Weird, they shipped mine yesterday.

Nothing arrived, no email, nothing. Ended up popping out to Argos and buying it. Going by twitter I'm not the only one.

4 minutes ago, Kaxxx said:

Nothing arrived, no email, nothing. Ended up popping out to Argos and buying it. Going by twitter I'm not the only one.

Don't Nintendo use the same people who were part of the hut group. For that reason alone I have never ordered one thing from Nintendo UK. 

No way you can rely on them getting things done correctly.

Exactly. Having played through a few of the Mario games last week, this is statement is spot on. Mario 64, Galaxy, 3D World are all pretty easy, with the exception of the odd level here and there. I mentioned it earlier in the thread but the challenge of this game comes not from the platforming but in tracking down the Power Moons. 
I agree that the "baseline" level of Mario is low (minimum number of stars required to advance to the next level), same with a lot of games with these checkpoints (e.g. musical notes in Banjo Kazooie). It's in the maximising and completitionism that the true difficulty often lies.
  • Like 1