NEurope
Helmsly

Super Mario Odyssey

31 minutes ago, Blade said:

I've only played this game through once quite late on in the Wii's life. Its making me want to play it again but with the new Mario being released so close its just not going to happen.

I've also not played Galaxy 2.

What the actual fuck mate?!!!

I'm personally grumpy because I'm being dragged to MCM by my girlfriend on launch weekend and, then soon after, I have to focus my time on USUM. I'm unlikely to play much until December :(

2 minutes ago, Serebii said:

I'm personally grumpy because I'm being dragged to MCM by my girlfriend on launch weekend and, then soon after, I have to focus my time on USUM. I'm unlikely to play much until December :(

On the upside though, perfect Christmas game. :)

Just now, S.C.G said:

On the upside though, perfect Christmas game. :)

I always have a game to play after coverage on the site for a job well done. This year it will be this.

Heck, in 2012 I managed to 100% Lego Batman 2 while covering Black 2 & White 2. Who knows, maybe I can fit it in

I also hadn't played Galaxy 2 until I played it last year. It came out at the wrong time for me, just after I dropped out of uni and before I got a job so I wasn't able to get it when it launched. I really liked it and can see why people think it's the better game but I prefer the first Galaxy, really felt like it recaptured the Mario 64 magic. 

I had planned on replaying Sunshine and Galaxy before Odyssey came out but I was too busy playing other games and think it'd be Mario overload to play them now. I'm currently playing Xenoblade Chronicles and worried I'm not going to finish it before Odyssey launches, want my slate to be totally clean for that 

In my defense, Galaxy 2 was released some time after I lost my (proper) job. Didn't really have the money for games, it's the same reason why I don't a WiiU, a 3DS, or the first Xenoblade Chronicles and whole shitload of other Wii(U) and (3)DS games. Wasn't great for my backlog.

The road to Odyssey continued last night as I added another bunch of stars to my collection.

DMe1aTqX4AAFNBF.jpg

During yesterday's evening session I came across the power up that everyone loves to hate.

latest?cb=20150426190517&path-prefix=en

My experience with it hasn't been that bad....at least, so far. For some reason I remember it being an absolute nightmare to control but i've managed to finish all the levels that have used it so far without any issues. The same can be said about this next thing...

galaxybig_2029.jpg

Again, no massive issues with these levels either. I will say though that I did have a few close call when doing the Rolling Gizmo Galaxy. There were a few times where Mario would be teetering over the edge of a platform or i'd hit a Goomba and completely lose control. Luckily I managed to reign him back in these cases and finish the stage on my first try.

I had a cracking race against Cosmic Mario in the Gold Leaf Galaxy. I completely cocked up my run at the start and spent the rest of the race just trying to catch up to him. I had to take a lot of risky routes and make a few dodgy jumps to get near him. I honestly thought he was going to reach the star before me but I pulled off 2 long jumps in quick succession and managed to grab the star just milliseconds before he could reach it. It felt great. :D

The other day I mentioned how I forgot that Captain Toad was in this game. Well, here is something else I forgot about.

latest?cb=20100430214303

Yup. I completely forgot that Mario could fly in the game. I did find the controls a little fiddly to get to grips with when flying. I missed one purple coin that was floating in the air and it took me about 5 minutes to actually grab the thing. I simply couldn't get Mario lined up to nab it and if I did miss it I couldn't turn him around to have another pass at it. I found it must trickier to fly in this than Super Mario 64. I think it's because of the sphere designs of the worlds.

So, 84 stars down now. I guess i'm not too far off the end. I'm not sure if i'll get to play any of the game this evening. It depends if Fire Emblem Warriors shows up and sucks me in. Saying that, I still may try and grab a few stars. We'll see, I guess.

• Thanks 1

So many people who've not played Galaxy 2 make me sad. You shouldn't be allowed to play Odyssey until you've at least seen the credits.

Maybe this segment from Brawl In The Family will convince you.

YX1tLDG.jpg

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 2

I never played Galaxy 2 either. I got it for the WiiU a while back but didn't play for more than 20 minutes. I wasn't a fan of the Galaxy games really. I much prefered 64 and Sunshine, Galaxy felt too linear. I'd love a more open world Mario title, set exclusively in the Mushroom Kingdom, with plenty of linear, difficult platforming sections to be found. I always loved the cartoon as a kid and just wanted to explore the whole Kingdom.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I've not played Galaxy or Galaxy 2, beat that.

We're gonna beat you.

• Like 2

I've played both, but can't remember whether I finished either.

13 hours ago, somme said:

I never played Galaxy 2 either. I got it for the WiiU a while back but didn't play for more than 20 minutes. I wasn't a fan of the Galaxy games really. I much prefered 64 and Sunshine, Galaxy felt too linear. I'd love a more open world Mario title, set exclusively in the Mushroom Kingdom, with plenty of linear, difficult platforming sections to be found. I always loved the cartoon as a kid and just wanted to explore the whole Kingdom.

I preferred 64 and Sunshine too.  They felt more enjoyable to 100%, whereas I couldn't quite shake the slight feeling of "overhyped" with the Galaxy games (which were very, very good, but almost mandatory to love).  Actually, I did manage to 100% complete Galaxy, but could never get Star 242 in Galaxy 2, which annoyed me.  Similar with 3D World - I couldn't do the hardest two challenges in those and find them extremely frustrating.

Who knows what the difficulty of Odyssey will be like, but I'm pleased to see it at least seems more similar to 64 and Sunshine.

• Like 1

Sunshine is a horrible game to 100%. Those Blue Coins are just flat out unfun to find.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 5

28 minutes ago, Grazza said:

I preferred 64 and Sunshine too.  They felt more enjoyable to 100%, whereas I couldn't quite shake the slight feeling of "overhyped" with the Galaxy games (which were very, very good, but almost mandatory to love).  Actually, I did manage to 100% complete Galaxy, but could never get Star 242 in Galaxy 2, which annoyed me.  Similar with 3D World - I couldn't do the hardest two challenges in those and find them extremely frustrating.

Who knows what the difficulty of Odyssey will be like, but I'm pleased to see it at least seems more similar to 64 and Sunshine.

I found Star 242 and the final challenges of 3D World to be masterpieces. They were the accumulation of everything you had learned in those games and I didn't think there was anything unfair or frustrating about them. Sure, they took a while to master but there was an immense sense of satisfaction once you completed them.  It was all about precision platforming and speed in some parts of the stages. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I found Star 242 and the final challenges of 3D World to be masterpieces. They were the accumulation of everything you had learned in those games and I didn't think there was anything unfair or frustrating about them. Sure, they took a while to master but there was an immense sense of satisfaction once you completed them.  It was all about precision platforming and speed in some parts of the stages. 

Maybe, but having to do everything perfect in one go (which is what they were) is frustrating in a very unique way.

• Like 1

Just read the EDGE review. Their writing style really is fantastic. 

Re: the above, I'm pretty sure the final challenge in 3D Marios seems to be getting tougher and tougher. Wonder if that'll continue in Odyssey...

@Hero-of-Time unintentionally got me to play Mario 64 again. Started at around 4, just reached the credits. This game's great to blitz through.

• Like 1

I saw a commercial for Mario Odyssey today in the morning (between an episode of Frasier ), it's pretty much a shortened version of the music video thing they uploaded on youtube last week, which is awesome