NEurope
Helmsly

Super Mario Odyssey

17 hours ago, Sheikah said:

How are people getting this 15 days before release?

My Uncle works at Nintendo. ;)

Thinking about keeping this game for Christmas, especially since Fire Emblem Warriors is out the week before.

On 10/13/2017 at 8:16 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm pretty tempted to try and go through as many Mario games as I can before this releases. I'd have to unpack the old Wii U to get access to a few of them. Yup, very tempting...

I started doing this, yesterday. I started New Super Mario Bros. 2 from scratch and 5 starred my profile today. I then went on to finish Super Mario Land from start to finish. After that, I had some lunch and then cracked on with Super Mario Land 2, which I have just finished 100%. Phew. I'll post all my Miiverse evidence tomorrow.

I was just about to start Super Mario 64 but i've only got 3 Miiverse posts left for the day. :p I'll unpack the Wii U and start on that tomorrow, after work. I wouldn't mind getting through 64, one of the Galaxy games and Super Mario Bros. 1-3 before Odyssey hits.

• Like 1

Realised the other day this is coming out just before I return home for my mother's birthday.  Might have to take my Switch into the dangerous wild* to keep myself entertained on the train.

*Birmingham

I'm tempted to put a few holidays in for when this releases. I've got 20 days to use before the end of the year, so I may either give myself a long weekend with the game or just take the full week off. Need me some 15+ hours daily sessions on this. :D 

I'm going to try and wait a few weeks before playing this. I like to play Mario games around Christmas so mid november start, and finish it around xmas.

21 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I'm going to try and wait a few weeks before playing this. I like to play Mario games around Christmas so mid november start, and finish it around xmas.

I think Xenoblade 2 will be my Christmas game.

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm tempted to put a few holidays in for when this releases. I've got 20 days to use before the end of the year, so I may either give myself a long weekend with the game or just take the full week off. Need me some 15+ hours daily sessions on this. :D 

I usually book off the week of Halloween so I have the entire week off after the release of Super Mario Odyssey.. and I can't wait :grin:

I usually book off the week of Halloween so I have the entire week off after the release of Super Mario Odyssey.. and I can't wait :grin:

Wow, this will be the first Halloween ever that you aren't incredibly disappointed then!
  • Haha 1

Yeah I'll definitely take a few days off. Annoyingly I've booked a meeting on the morning of the Friday... though it likely won't be delivered until midday anyway so could be good get back and get stuck in. I'll probably take ten-thur the weekk after as my girlfriend and kid will be home monday and Friday so couldn't imagine getting much done then anyway... Can't wait!! Can the greatest game of all time be beaten after just a few months of holding the title!

I'm doing an art course every Friday to help with my recovery and was worried I wouldn't be in when this gets delivered but found out on Friday that half term is the week that Mario comes out so I should be in when it arrives and will have the rest of the day to enjoy it. 

Apparently Nintendo are going to be selling 'Jump Up, Super Star!' on iTunes, reckon we can organise enough people to buy it to get it into the charts? 

As promised, here are my Miiverse posts from the 3 games I played over the weekend. Nothing really special in them, they were just done as just proof/tracking.

Spoiler

DMUaH6WX4AEMAG8.jpg

DMUaH6UWsAUVLDO.jpg

DMUaH6ZW0AAcnL-.jpg

DMUaH6lXUAARSZw.jpg

DMUaOsSWAAABZ0D.jpg

DMUaOtiXkAA3Ovf.jpg

DMUaOtiX0AEGKkp.jpg

DMUaOuBXkAE5BHb.jpg

DMUaTQLXkAA46km.jpg

DMUaTRyXcAEtYIP.jpg

DMUaTRMW0AAZRrS.jpg

DMUaTSUX0AAEu_d.jpg

DMUaWLZWsAE1lom.jpg

DMUaWMZW4AAQVwg.jpg

DMUaWMnW0AAYDBa.jpg

I have to say, I really enjoyed playing through this again. I don't think i've played it ever since I finished it back when it got released. A lot of gamers give the NSMB series a hard time. While, the looks and sounds could do with a shake up, the gameplay is still top notch. The only bad thing about this entry is that the final boss fight is very lacking.

Spoiler

DMUaZNuWAAAFPUw.jpg

DMUaZPQW4AET8nu.jpg

DMUaZPgX4AEfaTd.jpg

DMUaZPeWAAA7N91.jpg

DMUabc6XcAA_WXd.jpg

DMUabdpX0AEuKK2.jpg

It still blows my mind how short and weird this game is. Back in the day the game felt like some epic adventure but the thing is only around a half hour long. :D Still, the ending theme always makes me smile.

Spoiler

DMUaeptWAAAlQ66.jpg

DMUaerJWkAAqwhA.jpg

DMUaerhXkAA6h0Z.jpg

DMUaesKWsAEz_np.jpg

DMUahAYXUAE4lqP.jpg

DMUahBvWkAAhaEL.jpg

DMUahCWWkAAWMY4.jpg

DMUahCrW4AEGdIy.jpg

DMUajFCW0AEq99C.jpg

DMUajGGXUAA96WP.jpg

This game still holds a special place in my heart, despite it's flaws, most notably the crazy amount of slowdown that the game suffers from. The 3 pigs boss never fails to make me chuckle. Like the first game in the series, this one has such a weird setting but, unlike the first game, this one still manages to feel very much like a Mario game.

With those done and dusted, it was time to start a 3D Mario game. I was going to start off with Super Mario 64 but I have played that countless times before and instead decided to go with...

DMUZy-xW4AAn0uj.jpg

Crazy to think that the game has been out 10 years! I hadn't even clicked on until I looked at the title screen. I was trying to remember the last time I played through this and I was drawing a blank. I'm sure i've been through it again since I finished it at launch but I can't pinpoint when that was.

DMUZy-uW0AAYL0r.jpg

Seeing as I had no Mii's saved on the Wii section of my Wii U, I had to pick a Nintendo character icon. Obviously it had to be Toad. Sorry, @Blade. :p Speaking of Toad, no word of a lie, I totally forgot that Captain Toad was in this game! I was pleasantly surprised when I seen him.

I was hoping to start the game a lot sooner than I did. As you can see from the screenshot, I didn't get it started until after 7pm. I had to unpack the Wii U, then update it, then download and install Super Mario Galaxy, all of which took an absolute age. Crazy just how fast the Switch is in comparison.

I've loved what i've played so far. The soundtrack is still one of the best that Nintendo has ever made, IMO. Getting to listen to Good Egg Galaxy right off the bat is a great way to start your adventure. Dem feels!

Not long after that you get to listen to the epic tune that is Battlerock Galaxy.

I've nabbed a fair few stars already, some of which didn't give me trouble, even though I remember them being a hassle when I originally played. However, that stupid trash cleanup star still took me multiple attempts. I wanted to punch that little robot in the face. Clean up your own trash!

I've also managed to do a few Comet Stars, as well. I've done a couple of speed run ones and then my final star of the night was a daredevil star against the spinning top boss. This took my tally to 25. I was aiming to start at around 5pm and have 20 stars by the end of the night, so it was nice to get more than the quota I had set for myself, despite starting 2 hours later.

DMUZy_6W0AA_iQX.jpg

My adventure will continue this evening, once I get home from work and the gym. Can't wait. :bouncy:

• Like 5

Amazon are selling a download code for the same price as the physical edition. Only £39.99 with Prime!

For those bothered about scores, it got 39/40 from Famitsu. BOTW confirmed as the superior game. :p 

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

For those bothered about scores, it got 39/40 from Famitsu. BOTW confirmed as the superior game. :p 

Oh my...remembering how "much" you liked BotW...looks you're in for another disappointment with Odyssey seeing as it's even worse :laughing:

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Oh my...remembering how "much" you liked BotW...looks you're in for another disappointment with Odyssey seeing as it's even worse :laughing:

Never mind that, it’s worse than Nintendogs! :laughing:

Edited by Kav
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Yeah, may as well cancel my preorder.. :D

Just now, Kav said:

Never mind that, it’s worse than Nintendogs! :laughing:

We are now in the darkest of timelines.

• Like 3

For comparison, here's what score Famitsu gave the other 3D Mario games.

Super Mario 64: 39/40
Super Mario Sunshine: 38/40
Super Mario Galaxy: 38/40
Super Mario Galaxy 2: 37/40
Super Mario 3D Land: 38/40
Super Mario 3D World: 38/40
Super Mario Odyssey: 39/40

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

Galaxy 2 the lowest?! utterly ridiculous. 

It's crazy that they thought Sunshine was as good as Galaxy and better than the sequel. 

• Like 1

My adventure continued yesterday evening, with me reaching a star count of 56.

DMZ9znwXcAA1-Oo.jpg

I reached Gusty Gardens yesterday...

I adore the music in this world, as I imagine most people do. This is a tune that can constantly put a smile on my face no matter how i'm feeling, especially when it really kicks in at the 1:25 mark. :heart::heart::heart:

I lost a fair few lives doing some more Daredevil comets last night. The two where I had to beat Bouldergeist and Major Burrows were causing me many issues, despite them being pretty easy boss fights. Bouldergeist especially gave me a run for my money. I would be having a good run and thinking I was going to make it but then he would change his moveset from what he done in a previous attempt. Cheeky git. :D 

A level I didn't struggle with was Honeyclimb Galaxy. I'm sure this gave me some difficulty when I originally played the game but I managed to do it first time during this play through. I'm still not a fan of the Bee power up. Sure, it looks pretty funny but I just don't like how it handles.

I forgot how much I love Freezeflame Galaxy. The star you need to nab where level is both fire and ice at the same time was an absolute joy to play. To be fair, I just love faffing about with Mario when he has the Ice Flower power up. Doing a quick twirl and then skating across water/fire just feels so satisfying.

I should easily reach the 60 star mark this evening. I could go and fight the final boss at that point but I think i'll try to get all the stars I can before finishing Bowser off. I doubt i'll do a play through with Luigi, though. I don't think I would have the time to do a full 242 star run before Mario Odyssey arrives.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've only played this game through once quite late on in the Wii's life. Its making me want to play it again but with the new Mario being released so close its just not going to happen.

I've also not played Galaxy 2.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Blade said:

I've also not played Galaxy 2.

EpbLm_s-200x150.gif

Good job I'm no longer a mod as I would have been swinging the ban hammer for such a crime! :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4