NEurope
Helmsly

Super Mario Odyssey

Hearing some thoughts from those attending E3 regarding this game, and it's hugely positive except for Mario having a weighted feel when compared to earlier entries such as 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy and Galaxy 2, specifically, though I'm sure that if Nintendo feels there's a problem, it will be ironed out before launch.

I have a feeling that this game swapped release dates with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Odyssey was originally planned as Holiday 2017, and I wouldn't really point to late October as "Holiday"), as that game likely needed more touching up and score alignments adding than this.

As for my thoughts on the game itself: it looks like so much fun. I think it says something that there are already whispers of this competing with Breath Of The Wild for GOTY. What a first year for the Switch!

Edited by Julius Caesar

As for my thoughts on the game itself: it looks like so much fun. I think it says something that there are already whispers of this competing with Breath Of The Wild for GOTY. What a first year for the Switch!

I heard whispers it's going to be Knack 2. I think it's a bit early for whispering.

Star

hqdefault.jpg

Sun

shine_get.jpg

AdcOPf.jpg

Pancreas?

I'm curious what the physics are like for non-Mario characters. One thing Nintendo has down is the movement and I hope switching to different characters doesn't result in lacklustre movement.

Looking forward to playing though.

Rumurs there are 6 worlds. Which feels a little disappointing, but not knowing anything about size and scope of the worlds it's a little premature. But still, the variety of the worlds is one of the most instantly incredible features of the game, so the more the better in theory!

Also, what's been apparent this year is the rise in video; previous years it was all written reports on how games play and details and features, now it's just video!! Obviously they are there still, but it feels like a back seat in comparison!!

Read a few things about this, again, ever so slightly concerning - weird seems to be the choice weird, all very positive, but the controls seem to be a regular thing that is coming up as a potential problem. Which is mental for a Mario game, probably the greatest character to control in gaming!

Rumurs there are 6 worlds. Which feels a little disappointing, but not knowing anything about size and scope of the worlds it's a little premature. But still, the variety of the worlds is one of the most instantly incredible features of the game, so the more the better in theory!

In the Gamespot gameplay demo the guy from Nintendo mentioned that New Donk City was in the "Metro Kingdom", which leads me to believe there'll be multiple levels per kingdom, and if so 6 kingdoms seems fine. Treehouse were going on about the crazy amount of content in the game, so I wouldn't worry.

As for controls, think I read a couple of articles talking about the motion controls if you use the split joycons, which is all Nintendo are letting people use for the demo. I imagine Pro controller will be fine.

Odyssey is going to get lots and lots of 9s and 10s, it just will. I was thinking yesterday how the 3D Mario team at Nintendo are probably one of three developers in the industry that you just know whatever they release will be amazing. I think the other two would be the Zelda team at Nintendo and maybe Naughty Dog from Sony.

Am I the only one who thinks the city hub world looks a bit dull? A bit too blocky, geometry wise. Yes I know it's a city and cities have blocks and are generally dull. But I'm questioning the setting of a game that seems to be bursting with imagination otherwise.

The rest looks spectacular though.

Yeah the city seems a bit dull looking. I don't think it's a hub world though.

The progression is interesting. There seems to be both the moons you find hidden around and the story moons that follow a linear path. Both let you carry on after collecting but collecting the latter unlocks a new path/area of the level. Seems like it's sort of a mix of 64's find a star anywhere and Galaxy's mission based structure.

As a massive Mario fan, it's sad for me to say I'm not happy with the direction they went with this game. I really don't like the hat gimmick.

For me, taking control of objects and enemies just doesn't feel like it belongs in a Mario game. I want to control Mario in a Mario game, not possessed objects and enemies.

I worry how they will control compared to Mario, some from the videos I've watched look a bit off.

The original trailer got me hyped and I probably would have bought a Switch just for this but now... nah, the wait will go on.

Graphically it looks great, except the city which looks like they grabbed it from Sonic Adventure where like Sonic, Mario looks out of place in.

Oh so it looks like there is motion control stuff in this and possibly even motion control only moves. People trying it out yesterday saying that the spinning hat attack were told to do a "hoolahoop" type motion with the joycons/pro controller and when they asked how you would do it without the motion controls they were told they couldnt. I really hate that.

Just remembered​ that awful song in the trailer. What is this, a Sonic game?

Sorry @Josh64

Sorry @Josh64

It's funny you should say that as I thought the song was amazing. But yes, it does have a very SEGA feel to it :p

It's funny you should say that as I thought the song was amazing. But yes, it does have a very SEGA feel to it :p

Likewise, it's a type of rare song that I'm happy I can't get out of my head. Great for setting the game's tone (and absolutely has a SEGA feel to it)!

I figured most would hate it but judging by a thread on gaf, 99% are similarly in love with it. Very very catchy!

I figured most would hate it but judging by a thread on gaf, 99% are similarly in love with it. Very very catchy!

I hated it the first time I heard it.. but I've been singing it all evening in my head :red:

The ARMS theme will soon displace it when it arrives later in the week :heh:

As for Super Mario Odyssey, a caught a little bit of the Treehouse stream this evening and I already feel like I've seen too much! The game is going to be awesome :yay:

As for Super Mario Odyssey, a caught a little bit of the Treehouse stream this evening and I already feel like I've seen too much! The game is going to be awesome :yay:

Yeah, I've been avoiding the Mario footage, just like I done with Zelda. I want everything to new and fresh.

I love the song. I've listened to it a bunch of times today. Each time I listened to it I had a grin on my face.

Just a heads up, GAME are giving away Cappy away with preorders of the game. Sadly they are charging £60 for the game. Hopefully the Nintendo store will have the same offer but at a more reasonable price.

Pretty sure I saw Mario doing a spin-dash in the trailer.

I hated it the first time I heard it.. but I've been singing it all evening in my head :red:

The ARMS theme will soon displace it when it arrives later in the week :heh:

I think the ARMS song sounds like a rubbish version of the Mario and Sonic Rio Olympcs theme :p But you're right, I've barely watched any trailers and still can't get the damn arms song out of my head!

Rumurs there are 6 worlds. Which feels a little disappointing, but not knowing anything about size and scope of the worlds it's a little premature.

We've actually seen seven worlds already.

- Metro Kingdom

- Sand Kingdom

- Wooded Kingdom

- Colourful polygonal

and then from the latest trailer:

- The spooky monochrome world

- Dinosaur world

- Only seen briefly, but the underwater level where you're a Cheep Cheep looks new

There is a map that seemed to outline 6 completely separate kingdoms

oUtAWf6_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

Each kingdom could be huge though and have a wide variety of locales, I assume the colourful polygonal one is part of the Luncheon Kingdom but the whole kingdom probably doesn't look like that and there could be water based areas in quite a few of them.

We've actually seen seven worlds already.

- Metro Kingdom

- Sand Kingdom

- Wooded Kingdom

- Colourful polygonal

and then from the latest trailer:

- The spooky monochrome world

- Dinosaur world

- Only seen briefly, but the underwater level where you're a Cheep Cheep looks new

Kingdoms are like Worlds, but I believe there are multiple levels in each Kingdom

Speedrunner testing out Mario's movement and controls:

Aside from what looks to be the most fluid, tight and versatile moveset since Mario Sunshine, there are so many things to love about this game! They've really embraced the whimsical collison of elements that's always been a part of Mario's core iconography (Italian plumber vs mushrooms and turtles...). It looks absolutely beautiful and the music is top notch (though that's par for the course now with Mario). Also, very pleased you don't get booted out of a world on collecting a moon!

Agree with the Sega comments above. It's as if Nintendo have taken on some of Sega's freewheeling imagination and design from the Dreamcast era, with things like this, Splatoon and Arms. Now to summon up the will to go on a blackout till release... :shakehead