NEurope
Helmsly

Super Mario Odyssey

I think it looks great!

Not a smart move to first show off New Donk City, though. It doesn't mesh, and in the context of visiting wildly different worlds, it's utterly wonderful. But as a first sample, it's a shocker. They should have shown it later in the trailer, when there is more context to it, and you realise it's intended to be... weird. ;)

And a smart move to keep it for the holidays.

Something a few people noticed about New Donk City

Names of characters from Donkey Kong Country appear on street signs a billboard posters:

qvSjCGd.png1uda016.png

bringbackkroolbabyihsd5.png

Edited by Helmsly

I'm fine with Mario in New York. We already saw him in Mexico and the Amazon Forest in the trailer, there's nothing wrong with adding a 3rd real-world-based location. The only thing Mario is incompatible is with grittiness, and New Donk surely isn't gritty.

I'll admit, it'd be funny to have every citizen be as cartoonish and weirdly-proportioned as Mario, but since they're going for a real-world theme, might as well go with similar aesthetics.

If Donkey Kong isn't the King Kong of this city, hanging off the top of a skyscraper whilst Mario has to wall jump and run up a girder construction site to reach him, I'm gonna be pissed.

If Donkey Kong isn't the King Kong of this city, hanging off the top of a skyscraper whilst Mario has to wall jump and run up a girder construction site to reach him, I'm gonna be pissed.

It would be incredible. Please do it nintendo!

Why didn't they show the side somersault? With the way Mario stops at 1:08 it's most likely there though.

Why didn't they show the side somersault? With the way Mario stops at 1:08 it's most likely there though.

I would assume he can do it.

Im just completely stoked that this year I'll be playing the Zelda and Mario I've always wanted since like 1997.... Two damn decades. :cry:

I'm absolutely certain it is in the trailer.

Though I always call it the diagonally back somersault :)

I only just noticed the trailer is in 60fps (Thanks Chome). Very nice! I do expect it to go to 30fps in handheld-mode though. Still... just look at it! LOOK AT IT!!

I recall Sunshine initially was 60fps too, but that was a very really built. Oddysey is confirmed to be nearly complete.

I like the city setup - those shots make me think of TMNT for some reason! Like just as a concept not as a game - the turtles running round on rooftops at night whilst the city sleeps!

Why is the human in the second picture looking at Mario like its normal?

Shouldnt he be like "omg thats mario in real life!"?

Why is the human in the second picture looking at Mario like its normal?

Shouldnt he be like "omg thats mario in real life!"?

Because he's probably more confused as to why he's stepped out of a Hanna Barbera depiction of a 40s accountant.

Also, why is one of the kids from Ducktales on the poster in the first image? :heh:

Just had a random thought.

Do you think it would be cool to see one of the [secret] worlds this Mario visit - be Super Mario 64?

Seeing as Mario seems to be almost 'dimension hopping' it would be kinda cool to see him appear outside the Mario 64 castle, in all it's 64 visuals glory. The contrast between smooth 2017 Mario and the blocky N64 world could be an interesting contrast. How much of the Mario 64 world Mario could explore (and what the purpose is) would be entirely up to Nintendo - although revisiting the Bowser fight could be fun. Perhaps upon Bowser hitting the final landmine the illusion is broken, to find Mario somewhere else - and he has to do battle with the real boss of the world.

Could just be a fun call back, in what is a new 'sequel' to the exploration Mario games.

Do you think it would be cool to see one of the [secret] worlds this Mario visit - be Super Mario 64?

Seeing as Mario seems to be almost 'dimension hopping' it would be kinda cool to see him appear outside the Mario 64 castle, in all it's 64 visuals glory. The contrast between smooth 2017 Mario and the blocky N64 world could be an interesting contrast. How much of the Mario 64 world Mario could explore (and what the purpose is) would be entirely up to Nintendo - although revisiting the Bowser fight could be fun. Perhaps upon Bowser hitting the final landmine the illusion is broken, to find Mario somewhere else - and he has to do battle with the real boss of the world.

Could just be a fun call back, in what is a new 'sequel' to the exploration Mario games.

Paper Mario: Colour Splash called. It wants it's brilliant idea back.

Yeah, it did a very similar thing with various Mario Bros 3. levels.

I do like the concept though.

Yeah sounds like Metal Gear Solid 4 where they revist the first game and the graphics revert back to PS1.

I think something like that would be quite cool for a Mario game. They could really exploit the theatre group idea Nintendo have spoken about.

I could see it happening. They brought back that Mario 64 level back in Galaxy 2 after all.