NEurope
Ronnie

Rime

7 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Do you not have another console or PC? The game will be cheaper on that and run much better.

I do have a PS4 but I've always been set on playing this on Switch. Stubborn stupidity I know but I managed to get the physical version for the same price as digital too so will be able to lend it my brother when I'm done with it so will get good value for it.

16 hours ago, killthenet said:

It's a shame that it's noticeably worse than the other versions, I was hoping that the Switch version might be the definitive one. Still I'm glad that I waited, look forward to playing it once I'm done with Mario. Though I've realised that the first game I play after Mario is going to feel as janky as hell after the freedom of movement on offer in Odyssey so I'll play something else first as a palette cleanser.

I played them side by side and it was actually a nice peaceful game in comparison, but yeah not as smooth movement.

• Like 1

The game is only 26.13 USD on the Mexican eShop. That's about half the price here.

Edited by MindFreak

I started watching RGT 85 some time earlier in the year. I don't watch everything he does but I do check in from time to time. He is pretty passionate about Sega ( dude loves the Saturn so instantly gets my respect :D )  and Nintendo and he's often a level headed guy. It seems this game really broke him, though. He speaks out about the state of this game, how the industry is a mess ( talks about the BF2 loot box controversy ) and how day 1 patches should not be a thing.

I knew the Rime port was a mess but I didn't know just how much of a mess until I watched this video and seen the day 1 patch notes. Is quality control a thing of the past for most games these days?

3 minutes ago, Kaxxx said:

This is history repeating itself. Cue crash.

At this point I would honestly welcome it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

At this point I would honestly welcome it. 

True. I know Nintendo forcing publishing rights hit the developers hard but when quality control is this far off the mark i would welcome a return to strict policing.

Edited by Kaxxx

My copy arrived today, was pleasantly surprised to see that it comes with an instruction booklet! The patch is only 570mb so doesn't take too long to download, want to finish up Mario first but thought I should get everything ready for this first. Looking forward to playing it.

Just finished playing this, it's a really lovely game with a great soundtrack but as has been mentioned elsewhere the Switch port isn't great. I think it's a case of the developers decisions rather than the hardware itself considering games like Breath Of The Wild and Skyrim run so consistently whether docked or in handheld mode. The game starts to run more smoothly as you progress further in but it is quite jarring in the beginning how choppy the framerate can be. I played it in docked mode almost exclusively but tried it out in handheld mode for a little while and the resolution drops quite a bit, it becomes very hard to distinguish details in the distance. 

I would still recommend it if Switch is your only console and you're a fan of games like Ico, despite the technical hitches the quality of the game design really shines through to provide a really moving and haunting experience. 

Did the patch improve the game much over the code reviewers received? I was tempted to pick this up but the poor response has really put me off...

I don't know how much the patch improved things as I only played it after downloading it but I can say that although the frame rate is jarring at first it does get smoother the deeper you go out into the game. It could be that the reviewers who were negative on it had already played it on other platforms and so didn't play through the entire game again on Switch and so were just judging it on the admittedly choppy opening sections.

I still really enjoyed the game and don't feel like my opinion would be any different if I hadn't encountered the technical issues but it is quite a short game (around 5 hours) so you might want to wait until it drops in price a bit.

• Like 1

https://www.resetera.com/threads/rime-v1-02-switch-update-detailed-stabilized-fps-increased-visual-fidelity-view-distance-more.23888/

The long awaited performance patch comes out on Monday 19th! And...

Image_1_-_Labeled.width-800.jpg

Image_2_-_Labeled.width-800.jpg

Image_20_-_Labeled.width-800.jpg

RiME Switch 1.0.2 Patch Notes

- Increased visual fidelity, bloom and post-processing

- Sharpened image resolution

- Opening Cinematics visually improved

- Fixed possible stage exploits that would enable players to skip parts of the stages

- Increased texture quality in specific areas

- Increased view distance

- Fixed an issue with foliage density, shadows, and render distances

- Updated texture mipmaps for the Fox

- Improved global mipmaps

- Improved shadow distance and quality

- Fixed instances of foliage pops

- Stabilized FPS

- Optimized the Boys cape and hair physics

- Rebuilt streaming volumes

- Fixed an issue that allowed you to see outside of the map in later stages.

- Updated lighting to prevent bleed through

- Updated the quality of trees in earlier stages where they would display poorly.

... it looks pretty promising!

• Like 1

The visuals do look a lot better.  Hopefully the FPS is improved like they say as that was the biggest issue.

Glad to see they've improved it, will be interesting to see how it plays in handheld mode now as the visuals were so muddy it was almost unplayable beforehand. I only tried it out in handheld mode to see how it was, played it docked for the most part and really enjoyed my time with it but there were a lot of performance hiccups so if they've ironed those out then I can see it being even more enjoyable.

On 17/02/2018 at 12:33 PM, Dcubed said:

Image_1_-_Labeled.width-800.jpg

Crazy! :o

Looking forward to a new Digital Foundry vid if those screens are for real. :D And I still need to play this at some point too. Damn you Sony for making it a PS+ title on the same month as my subscription expired. :heh:

Just tried it on a couple of stages in handheld mode and it definitely feels like an improvement. It's been a couple of months since I played it so my memory of the performance isn't that strong but I do remember the opening section and the penultimate one being quite choppy and the latter section was pretty much unplayable in handheld mode because of the loss of resolution but it looks much sharper and runs a lot smoother. Will be interesting to see what Digital Foundry make of it but I think there is a real improvement with this patch so those of you on the fence should enjoy it.

• Like 1

Been slowly playing the PS4 version (thanks to PS+), so far this is a great game with some great mechanics.

5 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

Been slowly playing the PS4 version (thanks to PS+), so far this is a great game with some great mechanics.

How far into it are you?

Have played it for 30 minutes and was bored senseless.

13 hours ago, drahkon said:

How far into it are you?

Have played it for 30 minutes and was bored senseless.

I'm about 1/2 way through the 3rd chapter, and now i feel this is getting like a chore.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jimbob said:

I'm about 1/2 way through the 3rd chapter, and now i feel this is getting like a chore.

Good to know. I won't bother with it again, then. Thought it was a chore from the very first second.

7 hours ago, Jimbob said:

Stick with it. The ending is amazing....or dump the game and just go watch it on Youtube. :D 

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Has anyone played this since the recent patch? Is it still a disaster or did they fix the frame-rate and graphical issues?

I could just get it on PS4 I guess, but would prefer on Switch

How can anyone say the game is boring? There's a fox!