NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
dan-likes-trees

iOS and Android gaming

Got myself an ipad for work so I thought I'd get a thread going, since I'm finding it night impossible to find anything that isn't total rubbish on the app store.

I've been playing Subterfuge this week, which is a week long, real time strategy game along the lines of Risk, with submarine bases and various special units added into the mix. Attacking a base will usually take between 5 and 20 hours real time, making for some tense standoffs as the clock ticks down.

subter3.jpg

It's brilliant, kind of exhausting, and all about playing people off against one another, forging alliances, backstabbing. Nervewracking waking up in the morning to notifications of subs entering your sonar range...!

I might start an N-Europe playground match if people are interested (it's free to play)

Also a fan of 80 Days, which is a kind of narrative-driven game where you take trains, planes, boats around the world as ther servant to a rich toff. Good fun!

edb7d764ada9cf0285177b9072faf589.jpeg

What have you guys been enjoying recently?

I like a quick-fix simple game on my phone these days. To that end, currently enjoying Sonic Dash 2 :)

All of the Room games are amazing. Monument valley is a must. If you like football the football manager mobile games are very very good. The three Go games are excellent too (Tomb Raider, Hitman, Deus Ex). Agent A is a good point and click puzzle game. Framed. Her Story. Rayman Jungle Run. Carcassonne. Plague Inc.

Mario Run....

A couple of my favorites:

Mario Run

Sure it's $10 or whatever to unlock the full game but the level design is superb and Nintendo have done a great job of converting Mario to mobile.

Imago

Fun little number puzzle game.

Slither.io

MMO Snake

Nimble Quest

Another Snake type game with a fantasy theme.

Sonic Dash

I prefer this to the second game but both are good.

Disney Crossy Road

Disney version of Crossy Road.

Smash Hit

Break glass with marbles.

Lara Croft Go

Adventure puzzle game.

Motorsport Manager

Racing management game

New Star Soccer

Football Manager but from the view of a player with some in-match gameplay.

Rainbow Unicorn Attack 2

Retro 2D platform with awesome 80's style soundtrack.

There are some great games on mobile you just need to dig them out and be aware that these are not console games. The ones that take advantage of the hardware and gameplay styles really can be great.

Sonic Dash

I prefer this to the second game but both are good.

I do too, are they from the same people? The only reason I'm now playing the second is because I'd unlocked almost everything I wanted on the first game. Hopefully the second will add characters at a similar pace to its predecessor.

There are some things that are much better and some things that are sadly just missing, like the swipe QTEs for banking and the boss fights (outside of events, as far as I can tell?)

From your list, Lara Croft Go is amazing. The art and music in that game is fab, much preferred it to the more recent Deus Ex Go too.

I do too, are they from the same people? The only reason I'm now playing the second is because I'd unlocked almost everything I wanted on the first game. Hopefully the second will add characters at a similar pace to its predecessor.

There are some things that are much better and some things that are sadly just missing, like the swipe QTEs for banking and the boss fights (outside of events, as far as I can tell?)

They're from the same development team but with a fair few differences in the design process. The original wasn't really designed as a free to play game originally and had lots of development hacks (such as the QTE's hiding level loading) to handle the lower spec'd phones of the time. The two Sonic brands are managed a little differently too which leads to certain design elements being viable in one vs. the other.

In theory Boom should be the deeper experience but for me it just lacks a little of the charm of the original.

Sign in to follow this