NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hogge

Left field retro recommendations

When it comes to retro games, each forum has a bunch of games that end up on virtually all top lists. However, there are also great games that never do end up there.

So the idea for this thread is to share recommendations for games that should deserve more love.

I'm kicking it off with part one of my first retro gaming video:

Here's an enhanced version of my video :)

Fixed the script, voice over, editing and other things.

I've only just bought an Elgato Game Capture HD so may experiment with video creation by piecing together some sort of reply to this thread :hehe:

Very hard to think of truly left field recommendations.

I always loved MRC Multi Racing Championship on the N64 when I got it with the console, but there can be no denying there are better racing games.

That's what I loved about the Dreamcast demo discs... I spent an age playing random games - but I'm not sure how many went on to be successful. Games like Red Dog, Incoming etc...

Headhunter was maybe a bit left field - great game! But again I think it has many fans.

Love to hear if anyone else remembers these as fondly as me, they're not that left field but they're certainly not all counted amongst the classics.

Commodore 64:

Batman

Pang

Ghostbusters

PC:

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Little Big Adventure

The Lost Vikings

NES:

Adventure Island II

Mega Drive:

Batman Forever

Vectorman

Gameboy/GBC:

Bionic Commando

Worms

R-Type DX

Gameboy Advance:

Scorpion King

N64:

Rocket: Robot on Wheels

Cruisin' World

WCW vs. NWO Revenge

GC:

SSX 3 (loved it more than Tricky but nobody seems to look back on it as fondly as the latter)

Vexx

Edited by Shorty

N64:

Rocket: Robot on Wheels

WCW vs. NWO Revenge

GC:

SSX 3 (loved it more than Tricky but nobody seems to look back on it as fondly as the latter)

Yes, yes and yes. Rocket was amazing, especially being able to build your own rollercoaster in the first world. Revenge was the best wrestling game on the system until No Mercy came along, but I had a buggy cartridge that wouldn't save data so could never use the editing mode to build my own federation like on Revenge.

SSX3 was incredible on the GC and easily one of my most played games of that gen.

I'll throw in Top Gear Rally and World Driver Championship. Two games that easily gave the best the PSX had a run for their money.

I don't know if it's particularly "left field" but Timesplitters 2 on the GC was a spiritual successor to Goldeneye and Perfect Dark (the dev team was made up of mostly ex-Rare employees). It has some of the best FPS level design of the era.

Shout out to Aggressive Inline and Dave Mirra's BMX 2. While the Tony Hawk's series began employing elements of the Jackass TV show and the absurd, these two games offered massive, interesting worlds to play in, tight and satisfying controls and, most importantly, absolutely killer soundtracks.

Edited by Nicktendo

Not watched the vids yet but seeing reference to the N64 made me think of an old game that I think a lot of Nintendo people may have not bothered with - Yoshi's Story. Sure, it was no Yoshi's Island, and on the surface of it was a very kiddy Nintendo game that was super easy to complete. However, despite that initial shallow appearance, there was actually a large number of optionals etc in the game and ways you could opt to play it with the scoring system that actually gave it a strange amount of depth. Tbh just posting about it now makes me want to try and attempt one day to properly 100% it; something I never even tried because the never forced or encouraged me to, particularly.

Also yeah it is super cutesy and kiddy but I actually really appreciate the style when I think about it - still rather unique. Had some great audio for the settings in it too.

Also yeah it is super cutesy and kiddy but I actually really appreciate the style when I think about it - still rather unique. Had some great audio for the settings in it too.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Yoshi singing is stuff of nightmares. :D

Haha yeah that's pretty cack(I don't mind it having it as such a childhood memory) but I was referring more to some of the level music :p Very smooth/chill stuff generally, bit of funk later in the jungle iirc, but I just think back and think how serene a game it was. I'm starting to wonder if it might be just the sort of game to play whilst under the influence...

*goes to find N64 and Yoshi's Story*

EDIT: What guts me a bit is I actually had a proper little tear-off guide for the game that came with ONM well back in the day - never used it much because I didn't want to at the time but I kinda wish I had it now! I remember it had a space for the secret letter that was in each level and you could fill the boxes in slowly and put together the big message eventually!

Thanks for the videos. :)

I guess my view of what Left Field is, is different from everyone else. I consider games like No One Can Stop Mr. Domino!, Katamari Damacy, Rez... to be left field in some way.

Anyway, I never had an N64 but my mini list would be-

Space Station Silicon Valley

Glover

Iggy's Reckin Balls

Conker's bad fur day

Hybrid Heaven

and maybe Hey You, Pikachu!

I've been experimenting with my capture card and Windows Movie Maker and I've finally put together a video with graphics I created and footage recorded from my own Nintendo 64, @Hogge :hehe:

There's no commentary to explain the decisions mainly because the quality of my microphone is detrimental and I'll need to look into improving that situation. You'll hear what I mean if you watch the video!

I would really appreciate feedback on all aspects from anyone, be it about visual quality, sound effects, logos, voice or whatever else, as I'm still figuring things out :smile:

I'm awkward about hearing my own voice too so would like honest feedback on whether it sounds OK or not :red:

Did anyone get a chance to watch the video I posted above? :smile:

It's obviously nothing special but as the first video I've pieced together, I'd really like some thoughts on it if possible!

Did anyone get a chance to watch the video I posted above? :smile:

It's obviously nothing special but as the first video I've pieced together, I'd really like some thoughts on it if possible!

Ah yeah... I watched it soon after you posted, really enjoyed it, I just didn't say at the time but yes I thought it was pretty good. :grin:

I agree with the games and I like the style of the video, just need to make the mic a bit clearer/louder and it'd be even better. :)

Really liked all of your above videos as well @Hogge plus your Switch video was appreciated as well I might add. :D

Seeing all of this is really making me want to start properly using my game capture device and having a go as well, so much to do though but I may have a crack at it some day. :grin:

It may be nostalgia talking, but I always liked Talmit's Adventure on the Mega Drive:

Rolo to the Rescue was always good fun too. Mainly because there was quite a lot to explore if I remember right:

Why dont they make a new one?

The last Spy vs Spy game I bought was the one that came out for the PS2 back in 2005. I don't have an iphone but there is remake of Spy vs Spy for it which came out in 2012.

Edited by sumo73

Sign in to follow this