NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Beast

Weight Loss & Fitness 2017

@Animal I hear you. I am built very big asides being overweight, and when i've been slimmer, I've still been "large" (my dads a big thicc military man and my mum is tall and wide, so cursed genes) and having to accept that had been difficult.  Especially being a female, the ideal body presented in the media being these ridiculously small feminine frames, thigh gaps and tiny waists, you're either born with that or not.

I spent most of my 20s being unhappy, and not caring enough to try hard enough to lose weight.  On top of having undiagnosed adhd, which has a strong connection to a lot of eating disorders (emotional disregulation, overthinking, obsessive tendancies, boredom eating) I was pretty much a disaster. Any time I got anywhere near being slim I was just as unhappy as i ever was so it all slipped again.

I'm getting to a stage in my life where diagnosis is within reach, and I am accepting of my physical shape - which is giving me a lot more control over my eating. Its still an uphill battle but i'm getting there step by step. 

I'm also getting to a stage where i'm nearly at the weight I was before I started the diet rollercoaster, I'm just into the 17stones - I haven't seen 17st anything since i was 21 (now 31)

Edited by Raining_again
  • Like 2

On 03/10/2017 at 10:44 PM, Raining_again said:

You can do IF whatever way you want

Good :D

Doing 16/8 for now. It's not too difficult as I don't eat breakfast anyway.

I doubt I'll pay too much attention to macros for my meals, though. I just eat enough protein to cover my needs and the rest...who cares. :laughing: Maintaining a calorie deficit, though. Let's see if I can make the fat around my stomach disappear.

Personally I think the easiest way you can operate a diet or way of eating is the best way as you're likely to stick to it long term.

I do keto and IF and on a lot of groups i'm on people are extremely anal about how much protein/fat/calories they get, and even scrutinize the TYPES of carbs they eat... I just combine IF and eat under 40g of carbs a day. If i'm not losing weight I try to eat a little less. Full stop.  If I counted anally I would fall off the wagon within days.

I'm still kicking ass, am now 18 stone and still going strong (i have tipped the scales close enough to 22 stone in my life).  I used to get this far into a diet and be totally mentally exhausted and give up, and put on the weight again.  But I think the right diet for me, and the right MH tactics are keeping me going

WAKENED FROM THE DEAD

Seriously this time of year is like...... the best time of year to be in the gym.

I started coaching sessions again today, he evaluated my form, we talked over weaknesses and training.  Had a blast.  He's EXTREMELY cute.

• Like 1

I don't have the time for exercising anymore. :/ Or rather, I have the time per se but it would mean that I won't be spending time with my son or wife when I get home from work, and simply exercising in the morning doesn't really help with that. In the evening (after 8 pm) I'm too tired. 

So I go in the weekends but that's too little - yesterday I had to do 50 strict pull-ups within 6 minutes and only managed 40. That wouldn't have been a problem back in the old days. It's really frustrating to see yourself get in worse shape!

I think I'll try to set up a basic home gym so I can at least do a little weights at home. Just a simple rack and barbell would suffice.

Two weeks ago I decided I was:

1. Finally well enough

2. Very bored of being my current "fitness"

and joined the gym  my friend has been going to, its a bit pricey for me at £38 a month, but that includes a ridiculous amount of classes and the gym is swish. So far, I've tried a bunch of classes (such as boxing today) and their weights/tyres/ropes. Its tough going, because I have to be very aware of what my abdomen is doing and that's fustrating, but I can see the difference already.

Before my surgery I was nearly 15 stone. That was in August. Today, I'm 13st 13. Which is frankly both amazing and disgusting. I do plan to try and lose a little weight with my exercising, because I dislike the way my body feels and have done for some time, but I don't mind it being a long process. 

@MindFreak for your body, any exercise is better than none, as I've come to understand this last year. Why are mornings a no go? Is it dude to your little un? Perhaps taking walks/runs as he gets older - cycling with him and make it a fun dad/son thing which will help you also? 

1 hour ago, nightwolf said:

for your body, any exercise is better than none, as I've come to understand this last year. Why are mornings a no go? Is it dude to your little un? Perhaps taking walks/runs as he gets older - cycling with him and make it a fun dad/son thing which will help you also? 

I bike to work (2*8 km fast-paced biking) so that helps a bit. But mornings don't work for me because I'm really not good at morning workouts and also because doing it would delay my work so I'd get home an hour or two later which then would amount to the same.

On 11/21/2017 at 9:52 AM, nightwolf said:

Two weeks ago I decided I was:

1. Finally well enough

2. Very bored of being my current "fitness"

and joined the gym  my friend has been going to, its a bit pricey for me at £38 a month, but that includes a ridiculous amount of classes and the gym is swish. So far, I've tried a bunch of classes (such as boxing today) and their weights/tyres/ropes. Its tough going, because I have to be very aware of what my abdomen is doing and that's fustrating, but I can see the difference already.

Before my surgery I was nearly 15 stone. That was in August. Today, I'm 13st 13. Which is frankly both amazing and disgusting. I do plan to try and lose a little weight with my exercising, because I dislike the way my body feels and have done for some time, but I don't mind it being a long process. 

@MindFreak for your body, any exercise is better than none, as I've come to understand this last year. Why are mornings a no go? Is it dude to your little un? Perhaps taking walks/runs as he gets older - cycling with him and make it a fun dad/son thing which will help you also? 

ooooh ropes and tyres that sounds like a class wee gym. :D

the place im training at has lots of strongman gear, i cannot wait to be fit enough to get a go on those! 

• Like 1

Amen sister! 

I've slacked the last week, only ended up doing boxing. So this week its back to the tyres and ropes and hoping I can get in at least 2 gym sessions in before my holiday :D

I'm trying to find consistency for exercise and it really just differs from week to week depending on how busy I am at the moment. Last week wasn't great, but the week before I managed to sneak in football and 3 lifting sessions. Still finding the balance.

Quite enjoying doing lower/moderate weight and going for 10 reps. It's a killer when trying to overhead press for that amount of reps.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I'm trying to find consistency for exercise and it really just differs from week to week depending on how busy I am at the moment. Last week wasn't great, but the week before I managed to sneak in football and 3 lifting sessions. Still finding the balance.

Quite enjoying doing lower/moderate weight and going for 10 reps. It's a killer when trying to overhead press for that amount of reps.

I switched to German Volume Training 2 weeks ago. 10x10 is an absolute killer. Every single compound I'm doing 10x10 for has seen the max volume in one session increase which is great. Can feel a difference already. Squats tonight though, the thought of that after a big weekend is not good.

On 11/26/2017 at 5:05 PM, Fierce_LiNk said:

Yeah my coach has me doing low weight high reps which is very much outside of my comfort zone... its not for technique, but endurance... Especially as I've been out of the game for so long my "fitness" aka endurance is through the floor.  OHP is the WORST at the best of times without lots of reps ;_______;  I have two complexes to work on:

Strict OHP / Jerk

Hang clean / romanian deadlift

Start with sets of 3, so i do 3 strict then 3 jerk, then increase to 4, 5, 6, 7 to fail....vile.

My first session with my coach was crap, i struggled to rep 40kg (what an ego buster) and cleans were just all over the place... turns out i had a fairly severe kidney infection which is now resolving and i came in the next session and got so much more done.  Repping 30kg cleans easily, and 70kg deadlifts. Allllll tedious endurance work....

oh my impatient adhd brain just wants to play with new fun things and 1RMs lol

@Charlie i think you might just be a masochist - 10x10 sounds like death

Edited by Raining_again

13 hours ago, Raining_again said:

@Charlie i think you might just be a masochist - 10x10 sounds like death

It's seriously hard work. The first few sets are straightforward but from there the lack of rest (you're limited to 90s) starts getting to you and you don't have enough time to properly recover between each set.

I did 10x10 squats at 72.5kg last night but only managed 95 reps. I was absolutely done in on set 7 and only managed 5. Pulled myself together for the final 3 after that.

10x10 most take quite some time to finish. What's the break, 1:30 between sets or something? It almost sounds like a crossfit workout. :p

On 28/11/2017 at 11:43 AM, MindFreak said:

10x10 most take quite some time to finish. What's the break, 1:30 between sets or something? It almost sounds like a crossfit workout. :p

60-90s between each set as required.

Difference between this and crossfit is that good form is still important and you're lifting heavy weights! It does take a while. I have 3 GVT workouts, each one has 2 10x10s and 2 accessories. It's about an hour in total.

• Like 1

It's not that you don't need good form in crossfit. It's just that so many people are really shit at keeping their good form because they want to lift too heavy too quickly and aren't strong enough or flexible enough to keep the form. It's terrible to watch to be honest. But that's not really a fault of crossfit more that the instructor is bad a guiding people.

mmm there are some but not many crossfit boxes that advocate good solid reps over speed or #.  They don't exactly tell you to have crap form but stand by and watch you do it, which isnt much better.  And as well I think a lot of folk doing crossfit are chasing that "prescribed" weight dream and know exactly well that they're doing cheat reps.  I don't really believe in "kipping" pullups as good practice as you can pull and damage all kinds of muscles and you CAN learn to do pull ups properly through other means.

That said, I love what crossfit has done for the weightlifting community. Its far more acceptable and even COMMON to see women in the weight room deadlifting, and squatting more than just silly small dumbells that weigh less than a water bottle....  Crossfit type training is better for females than males as our bodies are better adapted to recover from a lot more repeated stress than our male counterparts.  And bumper plates, strongman gear and all kinds of AWESOME gym kit is getting far more accessible because of it! yay!

@Charlie Thats a really interesting approach, what kind of accessory work do you do, and does it follow the same theory?  Certainly seems to be good for endurance which is something i'm significantly lacking at the moment...

4 hours ago, Raining_again said:

@Charlie Thats a really interesting approach, what kind of accessory work do you do, and does it follow the same theory?  Certainly seems to be good for endurance which is something i'm significantly lacking at the moment...

Workout 1:

10x10 Bench press

10x10 bent over row

3x10 cable flyes 

3x10 cable pull downs

Workout 2:

10x10 squat

10x10 hamstring machine

3x10 calf raise

3x10 hanging leg raise

Workout 3:

10x10 close grip bench

10x10 bicep curl

3x10 lateral shoulder raise

its working pretty well so far just finished my second week of it and moving back onto workout 1 tomorrow. 

• Like 1

After a couple of months stuck in a funk, I feel okay. I feel the fire sparking again. My friend, the boxer, won his fight and we've been continuing to train together. Though now he's properly training me and teaching me how to box and it's going awesome. I'm really getting into it.

He told me I have very quick hands and a brilliant jab. He's punched me a few times and I've been okay and he's been impressed with my blocking and punching.

There was a one minute video of me practicing but Tapatalk said its too large to post.

I was also thinking of doing 5:2 when it comes to my diet. Would anyone recommend this or not?

Sign in to follow this