NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ronnie

Game Maker's Toolkit

I figured Mark Brown's outstanding videos were good enough to dedicate a whole topic to them. There's dozens already up so feel free to trawl YouTube for them, but here's the latest one:

Some really clever innovations here and it's nice to see them highlighted. Plus, any extra love for Darkest Dungeon (besides IGN nominating it for GOTY) is always appreciated from me personally :heart:

The Hitman example is something I wasn't aware of but is a really interesting way of adding replay value and upping the stakes and tension.

Good thread.

I happen to watch his latest video the other day and I, like Ronnie, wayalso unaware but very surprised by the innovation in Hitman. I may pick it up next year, once the retail version has been released.

I also watched his analysis of Star Fox Zero, which I don't think I had seen before. The guy was very on point and echoed a lot of my own thoughts and feeling about the game.

I genuinely thought the thread would be started because of his news today that he'll be doing it full time next year, which is of course great news.

I loved the part about him not minding that his videos on smaller indie games get the least amount of views and that he'll continue to make them regardless :heart:

Interestingly, IGN has put up Mark Brown's video on how to use nostalgia the right way. It's great that he'll get far more exposure this way, wonder if it's the first of many. This particular video is one of my favourites of his

He's freelance so this is just a bit of work he had. He did one recently for Region Locked too:

Love Mark's videos, support him on Patreon - get subbed on YT if you haven't already.

When I bought my Gamecube the system came bundled with this:

The_Legend_Of_Zelda_Collectors_Edition_custom-front.jpg

I'd played OoT on the 64 back in the day, but I didn't give this collection the time or respect it deserved at the time because I had other things to play. Made the mistake of selling it on for pittance, which I deeply regret now considering its value.

Watched the Mark Brown video until he warned of spoilers because I realised I owed the original Zelda a proper play through. At the time I enjoyed the sense of mystery the game cultivated but foolishly I stopped when I got stuck. Think it might be time for me to find an emulator.

This NoClip 'doc' will be interesting to those who liked the latest episode of GMT, covers similar territory:

I enjoyed that. Perfect length, too. I'm glad that he mentioned games like Alien: Isolation as I really fucking love how the Alien's AI works in that game. It's brilliant. Depressing how the game is better than the last few Prometheus/Alien films.

It's not Game Maker's Toolkit so feel free to thrip into another thread if needed but I figured, this is where all the Mark Brown videos go so... :D

It's a good video which covers such things as (!) audio cues, colour and hard to read subtitles   amongst other things.

Well worth checking out. :)

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 3

@DriftKaiser the above may be of interest to you

I've thought about the issue often with Overwatch, there's definitely advantages you can get from audio cues in that game that the developers are not making any effort to solve for deaf players.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Shorty said:

I've thought about the issue often with Overwatch, there's definitely advantages you can get from audio cues in that game that the developers are not making any effort to solve for deaf players.

Yeah, I'd have to agree there. We often play very late at night and turn the sound down to not annoy the neighbours...but we don't turn it off completely due to the audio cues, especially with all of the ults. I think D.Va's ult is one of the only ones that has an on-screen prompt to tell you where it's coming from, but I don't think any of the others do at all. Would be very useful for deaf players to have more of these types of cues. It can't be fun to get High Noon'd out of nowhere without any sort of warning that it's coming.

• Like 1

On 17/07/2018 at 3:00 PM, Shorty said:

It's quite cool that they are making it more accessible for Deaf/HardofHearing players. Hopefully other studios like Blizzard will might do the same thing that don't need subtitles but more visual cues along with audio cues. 

Edited by DriftKaiser

You know, I always asked myself why is it that I barely remember specific moments or layouts in Zero Mission. I wonder if it has to do with the de facto linearity that Mark mentions.

It's a shame that he fails to mention how Zero Mission doesn't actually show you how to get to the chozo statue waypoint, that's a pretty important point here.  While the game does give you a general idea of where to go, it gives you no clue on HOW to get there.  It's up to you to figure out exactly how to get there and that's where the sense of exploration and discovery comes into play in that game.

Hell, even Super Metroid does this by telling you exactly where the boss is when you get the map.  You know exactly where you need to get to, but the game doesn't show you HOW to get to the boss; it's up to you to figure it out.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Just about to watch this myself but I thought I'd waste no time in posting it seeing as Mark Brown's videos are consistently interesting and well produced. :)

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this