NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

Nex Machina (PS4)

We’ve been thinking long and hard about how to bring back a “true arcade experience” in a world where arcade halls are almost extinct. Nex Machina is our shot at cracking that problem and over the next few months we’ll have more information on what you can expect on day one. For now, rest assured that the game will provide the classic Housemarque arcade experience and a kickass competitive framework, which we will expand over time to make it the obvious choice for players looking for a challenge.

PlayStation Blog

Housemarque's new shooter. @Daft will be happy to hear that it's a twin stick-shooter :p

Looking forward to this. : peace:

I got excited with the first 30/40 seconds of that trailer. I loved that art style! Why can't we get a whole game that looks and plays like that? :heh:

This will obviously be fantastic. Obviously.

I got excited with the first 30/40 seconds of that trailer. I loved that art style! Why can't we get a whole game that looks and plays like that? :heh:

This will obviously be fantastic. Obviously.

Give it ten years and you may well get your wish! But yeah the art style of the opening cinematic was incredible.

A tad disappointed by the actual game though, I'm sure it'll be great, but it just looks like a cross between Resogun and Alienation, things we've seen before. Will still get it for sure though.

Sweet mother of everything that's holy. Day freaking one.

Dat soundtrack :awesome:

This looks damn rad. Any news on co-op?

Local co-op now confirmed:

Release date: June 20th : peace:

I wish it didn't look so similar to Alienation, a great game but was hoping for something more unique.

Looks like Housemarque games will be going multiplatform.

For Kuittinen and Housemarque, the period between 2007 and 2010 was a "golden" time for digital games on console, but that changed with the arrival of the current generation. Smaller games are less visible now, Kuittinen says, the breakout successes fewer and further between.

"Now it seems that we aren't having that many digital console hits in this generation, even though this generation has been more successful. For me, Rocket League is maybe the only smaller, digital-only game that became a really big success story on the console side.

"I might be totally wrong, but you don't see the coverage of small games like you did, say, eight years ago. There was a stream of hits at that time, but it dried up when we started this [generation]. Journey was the last one, I think."

"There is now a bigger audience for digital games in general, but not exactly on the console platforms," he says. "Steam and PC are offering great success stories. The audience on PC is much more willing to try out different stuff than the console audience. I don't know if that's more demand or supply, but that's what has happened."

When asked about future releases.

"Yeah, we've been exclusive and, relatively, we've done really well, but the big, big picture tells us that it seems there's not enough demand for [arcade throwback games like Resogun, Alienation, and Nex Machina]," he says. "Maybe this multiplatform thing is going to fix that up. But the thing is the games, and how we've done those; we've used relatively big teams, we make our own tech, these sorts of things that we feel are really necessary in order to get to that level that's needed, that we're pleased with.

Ultimately, that could mean a change in direction for the studio, the details of which Kuittinen is not yet ready to discuss. "The next games that we are working on are not really that kind of game," he says, referring to the top-down shooters for which Housemarque is known. "It's going to be something different from us, after the games we're getting out now... In general terms, the problem might be that the bigger audience might be expecting something else than a top-down or side-scrolling game - let's put it that way.

I think PS+ could be hurting a lot of indie developers. Seeing as the service is now more indie focused, many gamers seem to be happy to just wait it out and let these types of games get released on PS+, rather than buying them on day 1.

The more people can experience Housemarque's greatness the better. :)

"There is now a bigger audience for digital games in general, but not exactly on the console platforms," he says. "Steam and PC are offering great success stories. The audience on PC is much more willing to try out different stuff than the console audience. I don't know if that's more demand or supply, but that's what has happened."

Not only different but also new stuff, as in "early access" games. Something I would welcome on consoles, actually (yeah, yeah, most people hate it).

There are a lot of games in early access I'd like to give a try myself after seeing lots of videos but I'm not a PC gamer anymore. No idea why. It's weird, especially because I could just connect a controller and play games as if they were on a console. ::shurg:

Anyway, early access games can work and are a good way for indie devs to fund their projects (some abuse this system, though).

I think PS+ could be hurting a lot of indie developers. Seeing as the service is now more indie focused, many gamers seem to be happy to just wait it out and let these types of games get released on PS+, rather than buying them on day 1.

Yeah, while it might be good for the devs that have their games being part of the PS+ line up, it hurts others as you said.

The game can be pre-loaded now.

It's ready...but it still won't be playable until Tuesday midnight :( Can't fucking wait :D

Can I expect some highscores from people here? Or is nobody buying it? :p

Edited by drahkon

Reviews are coming in.

Looking good. :bouncy:

Yup, I'm talking to myself in here and will be happy to do so in the future :p

Reviews are coming in.

Looking good. :bouncy:

Yup, I'm talking to myself in here and will be happy to do so in the future :p

I was just waiting until the game is actually available to play, I've been checking it on the store every time I load up my PS4 ever since I pre-ordered it ages ago. :p

*three weeks ago*

"Is it ready yet?"

*two weeks ago*

"I could have sworn more time had passed than that"

*a week ago*

"Can't I just... play it now?"

*two nights ago*

"aww come on!"

*last night*

"this is ready to play now right? Oh... 23 hours and 16 mins..." :hmm:

So tonight, I'm going to be all over this as I love me some Housemarque. :D

Well, I didn't really like Alienation that much but this looks so much better than that so all is well! ;)

@S\.C\.G

344f148238488166e812cae596a2217438e87396929acf3ec0df24ebcc6262dc.jpg

At least one person that will get his highscores obliterated :p

This is basically me right now:

wait.gif

At least one person that will get his highscores obliterated :p

I couldn't agree more... ;)

May the best highscore "Obliterator" win. :cool:

First attempt: Arcade on Veteran.

Reached world two and lost maybe halfway through. Didn't use a continue.

This game is fucking amazing :D

First attempt: Arcade on Veteran.

Reached world two and lost maybe halfway through. Didn't use a continue.

This game is fucking amazing :D

How are you playing it alre...

Oh yeah, time-zones.

Less than fifteen minutes to go for me, get hyped! :D

How are you playing it alre...

Oh yeah, time-zones.

Totally forgot about the time zones :laughing: I was wondering when your scores would show up :p

Second attempt: Died in World 3. Didn't use a continue again. My goal is to complete Arcade on Veteran without a continue : peace:

Currently uploading my first attempt at the World 2 boss. Will post it here once it's ready, in spoiler tags of course.

2 mins to midnight, it's almost time! :awesome:

As promised:

Chuffed that I didn't get hit once : peace:

This game is pure crack. Already can't wait for what Housemarque has in store for the future. The only thing I need is online co-op.

Edit: @S\.C\.G do you have a new PSN ID? Didn't see you online last night and don't see any high scores in my friends list.

Eurogamer.net gave this an "Essential". Even though I only scratched the surface of Nex Machina I'm inclined to agree.

Currently sitting at 88 on Opencritic. Well deserved : peace: Come on people, show Housemarque some love :p

Edited by drahkon
Automerged Doublepost

@S\.C\.G do you have a new PSN ID? Didn't see you online last night and don't see any high scores in my friends list.

Eurogamer.net gave this an "Essential". Even though I only scratched the surface of Nex Machina I'm inclined to agree.

Currently sitting at 88 on Opencritic. Well deserved : peace: Come on people, show Housemarque some love :p

Nope, same one as ever. :)

I was definitely online, just perhaps somewhat stealthily. ;)

I only got a little bit into the first stage last night - the heat was too much in the evening - :( but I'm keen to put in some more time with this wonderful game later on today as it's as enjoyable as it is punishing and I love it. : peace:

I see you got yourself a nice number 7 on the leaderboard last night :o well played.

Nope, same one as ever. :)

I was definitely online, just perhaps somewhat stealthily. ;)

Plus, the servers were down for a while last night. I now see your highscore in the leaderboards :)

I see you got yourself a nice number 7 on the leaderboard last night :o well played.

Didn't last long, though :D

I heavily underestimated the difficulty of this game and overestimated my skill with Shmups, which apparently has declined over the recent months.

Currently doing an Arcade run on Experienced. Reached world 5, no lives left. :laughing: Might just break my rule and take a continue just to see the game "end".

I'm missing soooooo many secrets. But to look for them and survive at the same time is kinda tough right now.

Once I get used to the enemy waves I'll start searching for secret exits and all that :D

I heavily underestimated the difficulty of this game and overestimated my skill with Shmups, which apparently has declined over the recent months.

Currently doing an Arcade run on Experienced. Reached world 5, no lives left. :laughing: Might just break my rule and take a continue just to see the game "end".

I'm missing soooooo many secrets. But to look for them and survive at the same time is kinda tough right now.

Once I get used to the enemy waves I'll start searching for secret exits and all that :D

Yes, I too thought that I'd be breezing through most of the stages with relative ease...

...nope! :p

I'm sticking to Veteran but I am using continues, I think that's the best way to just get used to the gameplay, I made good progress on my first run and then I ended up making silly mistakes thus ending my subsequent runs earlier. :sad:

I may end up just trying the easier difficulties just so that I can make some progress but again I like to choose the highest possible difficulty, especially when I know there's a harder difficulty to unlock. ;)

We shall see, either way I'm going to keep putting a bit more practice into it as I feel like Nex Machina is well worth the time. : peace:

Those beams you can't dash through...I always try and I always die. :D I really need to remember: Do not dash through those fucking beams!!! :laughing:

One thing that's a little annoying: Once you use a continue during a boss, you're mostly fucked. I had to quit what I assume is the final boss three times now because after using a continue you lose every powerup. Without range you can hardly hit the boss and without triple dash it's almost impossible to avoid some bullet patterns. ::shrug:

Well, getting closer to beating the game on Experienced, though. It's tough but so rewarding.

Managed to beat the game on Experienced just now. Without using a continue :peace:

I'm currently ranked at 21 for that difficulty. Not bad :D

It's time for Veteran...oooohhh boy :laughing:

Edit: The soundtrack is available on Spotify. It's awesome.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this