drahkon

Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy (PS4)

I've saved some money in the last few weeks and bought the Trilogy just now :D

Gonna grab something to eat and plaaaayyyy :bouncy:

41 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I've saved some money in the last few weeks and bought the Trilogy just now :D

Gonna grab something to eat and plaaaayyyy :bouncy:

Good man! You're in for a treat.

I managed to platinum the first game. I gotta admit, it's been a while since a platinum caused me so much stress. Some of the time trials are stupidly tight and you have to do perfect runs just to get a gold, never mind a platinum. The High Road and Road To Nowhere were an absolute nightmare. I considered giving up and just moving on but I kept getting that nagging in my head. I knew I could do it if I just put in the time and sure enough I did.

During the launch week it was fun reading various meltdowns from people on different forums. It goes to show just how easy a lot of modern games are when people were getting stuck and having raging fits over levels that were on the first island. Being a NES era kid has its perks as I grew up playing games that were stupidly difficult. Gaming kids these days have had it too easy. :D

I got most of the way through the 2nd game but then had to give it a break as I was getting a bit burnt out by that point. Still, at least the hardest one is out of the way now. I'll get back to the second game some time soon.

23 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I managed to platinum the first game. I gotta admit, it's been a while since a platinum caused me so much stress. Some of the time trials are stupidly tight and you have to do perfect runs just to get a gold, never mind a platinum. The High Road and Road To Nowhere were an absolute nightmare. I considered giving up and just moving on but I kept getting that nagging in my head. I knew I could do it if I just put in the time and sure enough I did.

During the launch week it was fun reading various meltdowns from people on different forums. It goes to show just how easy a lot of modern games are when people were getting stuck and having raging fits over levels that were on the first island. Being a NES era kid has its perks as I grew up playing games that were stupidly difficult. Gaming kids these days have had it too easy. :D

Awesome :D Haven't played much besides CoD in recent weeks so I'm really looking forward to a tough Platinum.

Played a little bit just now. It's awesome. The nostalgia is real :laughing: It looks absolutely beautiful.

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Good man! You're in for a treat.

I got most of the way through the 2nd game but then had to give it a break as I was getting a bit burnt out by that point. Still, at least the hardest one is out of the way now. I'll get back to the second game some time soon.

I've nearly snapped the pad on numerous occasions!

Beat Ripper Roo.

Really enjoying the game :) Tight platforming with a nice difficulty. Love it.

The only annoying thing: The fucking load times whenever you start up the trilogy...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Beat Ripper Roo.

Really enjoying the game :) Tight platforming with a nice difficulty. Love it.

The only annoying thing: The fucking load times whenever you start up the trilogy...

Yup, having to watch the opening scene at the start of each session is very tiresome. 

• Like 1

“We knew that there was a passionate audience out there for Crash – full disclosure, myself among them – but we had no idea [it’d be this popular],” he [Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg] said.

All of this means that you can expect more classics to make a comeback: “This is a strategy that clearly has our attention, and while there are no new announcements today, I think you can be confident there will be more [remake/remaster] activity like this in the future with more great IP,” he continued.

Elsewhere, Hirshberg also hinted that we haven’t seen the last of Crash Bandicoot by a long shot, with brand new entries a possibility.

Source (PushSquare)

Sure....they didn't expect its success after the high demand :p

Good news, though. Hope we'll see CTR and Spyro at one point.

I'd love to see a true Spryo remaster. Though I regret making this purchase. 

Spyro strikes me as the kind of game that wouldn't be that fun to play now.

I played a good portion of the original a few (5-6) years back. It's still fun despite the common 3D platformer issues of the time. Some smoother control and rebalancing of some difficulty and I think it would hold up very well. Certainly as well as Crash does for others. 

Have reached Pinstripe Potoroo but didn't start the fight.

Haven't had a lot of trouble so far, but I've only been doing my way through the levels without going after gems. I can already see how the Golden Relic Hunt will test my patience...

By the way, @Hero-of-Time wtf is this game on your trophy card? The one with the cat? :D

Edited by drahkon

26 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Have reached Pinstripe Potoroo but didn't start the fight.

Haven't had a lot of trouble so far, but I've only been doing my way through the levels without going after gems. I can already see how the Golden Relic Hunt will test my patience...

By the way, @Hero-of-Time wtf is this game on your trophy card? The one with the cat? :D

LOL. Energy Cycle. My trophy whoring ways got the better of me. £2.50 for a 10 minute platinum. I have no shame. :D

• Like 1

The amount of dying I've been doing in this game really makes me respect my younger self, who got all the gems on the original game the old fashioned way. Some of these platforms seem rather hard to get naow. One of the Brio bonus stages inparticular I've not been able to crack yet.

1 hour ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

The amount of dying I've been doing in this game really makes me respect my younger self, who got all the gems on the original game the old fashioned way. Some of these platforms seem rather hard to get naow.

It's always a peculiar phenomenon. Back in our childhood, games were a lot more precious to us, due to how little we got. It was pretty normal for most 80's/90's kids to get new games only on Birthdays and Christmas. So when you got a game, you worked on it. Hard. The increased ease of getting a game these days will inevitably make gamers, both young and old, to be less tolerant of repeated failure.

I'd like to think I try to avoid that, but even I sometimes fall victim to the thought of "I'd much rather spend my time making progress somewhere else" sometimes.

Despite that, I never find myself wondering how I did something in a past game. I tend to have a creepy memory of games I've played before. Quickly recognising where secrets are, the best way to tackle an obstacle, stuff like that. Just ask @Dcubed whenever I play a Metroid game again. It has it's uses, although it ruins repeat playthroughs of visual novels. All I realise is that younger me, while not as skilled at games, had a hell of a lot more time and a hell of a lot less games.

• Like 2

Carrying on with finishing games from this years backlog, I had a look on the shelf and decided to crack on with this game. I finished and platinumed the first game earlier in the year and got close to beating the second. I decided to skip the second game and go straight for the third. I've nabbed the platinum for it this evening.

The 3rd game was my favourite in my youth and that still remains the same today. I love the variety to the levels and Naughty Dog finally seemed to nail a good length of a stage.

As much as I adored Mario Odyssey, it was nice to play a platformer with a bit of challenge to it. Some of the time trials in this game would put Champions Road to shame. They were still easier than Crash 1's time trials, though. Those things were brutal! :D 

I may go back to the second game and keep picking away at it. It would be nice to finally get the game off my PS4 menu before the end of the year. It's been sitting on there since June!

• Thanks 1

That reminds me...I still need to put more time into this :D

Think I'll put Skyrim on hold and after finishing the CoD WWII campaign I'll get back to the first Crash.

This is where I got to. I don't know whether I can be arsed with it to be honest.

Have you tried running along the ropes at the side of the bridge? Or did ND remove that for this trilogy?

2 minutes ago, dwarf said:

Have you tried running along the ropes at the side of the bridge? Or did ND remove that for this trilogy?

Nah, you can still do that. It's still tricky to pull off. You constantly have to readjust your position. Still easier than doing the level normally though. :D 

I decided to finally continue the first Crash Bandicoot. Currently trying to get the coloured gems (i.e. collect all boxes in certain levels without dying). It's fair to say that I shouted at the god damn motherfucking screen a few times. :laughing:

Can't wait for the relics...

c82CEkI.gif

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Are all your gifs from In Bruges? :D 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Only need two more gems, then it's time for the relics. 

PyPC.gif

It's been great playing a difficult 3D (well...semi-3D) platformer again. These days the genre has become way too easy. 

Started going after the Relics today.

Wanted to get High Road out of the way after a quick warmup with the first few levels. Well...10 minutes in and I'm already FUCKING ANGRY.