NEurope
Julius

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

They didn't do the same with Mon Mothma as they just used the same actress from Episode 3, though I do believe her scenes were cut or shortened in the end.

My sister recognised the voice of Tarkin, though I didn't. I was pretty impressed with how he emulated Cushing's voice.

I think the CG, while technically impressive, is really terrible; most people I know (and most reviews have said) that it is pretty bad. Good some can't see it though I guess.

Maybe, I feel after the original changes backlash they wouldn't want to touch it; doubt it'd help though; it was a stupid idea to go through with it... Never mind the fact it's terrible, it's a hideous gimmick too; Mon Mothma is in the original film too, why didn't they do the same with her? You create a rule you stick to it.

I agree that the CGI is very touch-and-go at times, but to say it's "really terrible" is perhaps misleading. This is something that can be cleaned up further in the future, and you can tell from the special effects used in the film that this was a large chunk of their budget (see: ships landing, such as Krennic at the start of the film and Rogue One on Scarif). It's funny, because nobody nitpicks the awful use of CGI in other films released this year; for example, Tony Stark's jittery head in Civil War. But that's besides the point: though not perfect, the CGI facial reconstruction used in this film, especially for Tarkin, is very good. There are some shots where it is more telling than others, but seriously, people can't point and say "oh, this looks nowhere near as good as the young Stark in Civil War!", because there's one thing to understand which puts this feat into perspective: Peter Cushing died over 20 years ago.

Your argument for Mon Mothma also loses me, perhaps even more so than your CGI one. Rogue One leads directly into A New Hope, so there's no second guessing as to why Leia has to look like Carrie Fisher (may she rest in peace) in a New Hope; there are four years between the end of Rogue One and Return of the Jedi, and the actress used has already been utilised before (in Revenge of the Sith; her scene was cut from the final film). It was argued upon seeing the release of the deleted scenes that she looked suited for the role, but ten years later certainly more so: the actress looks very similar to the one used in ROTJ. Not to mention that it's a secondary/recurring character at best: if a Leia lookalike had been utilised, we'd be picking that apart even more so.

Space battles were cool, but that's pretty much all I have to say about it. 3/5

As for Tarkin / Leia, I didn't mind it, though it didn't have my preference. Would've liked to see new actors cast. They already have the perfect actor for Leia (for the 3 seconds they'd shown her): Carrie Fisher's daughter.

I also don't get the criticism of the CGI. 80% of the characters in Star Wars are people dressed up in rubber suits some of which look laughable and in Episodes 1-3 there were also lots of CGI characters, so why the big uproar now.

I can tell a voice from a man who is a very accomplished actor, regardless of your opinion on one of his roles. Quite a few reviews have also hailed the CGI work, obviously you're not a fan.

Please don't make assumptions on what I can and can't do thanks.

Im sorry what assumptions have I made on what you can and can't do?

Also, is it possible to have a different opinion to someone without them getting painfully defensive and go on the attack. So incredibly dull.

They didn't do the same with Mon Mothma as they just used the same actress from Episode 3, though I do believe her scenes were cut or shortened in the end.

My sister recognised the voice of Tarkin, though I didn't. I was pretty impressed with how he emulated Cushing's voice.

Yeah I know that, but takin is also in Episode 3 played by a different actor. But my main point is they're happy to use another actor for a role, they should do the same across the board; not pick and choose. I imagine they did it to show off - look what we can do and make a big big deal of it, but it looks rubbish so they're not really hyping it up.

I also don't get the criticism of the CGI. 80% of the characters in Star Wars are people dressed up in rubber suits some of which look laughable and in Episodes 1-3 there were also lots of CGI characters, so why the big uproar now.

The rubber suits are great and ultimately fit into the world, the alien characters are CG/Suits; that fits; but to mix CG humans with real humans is the problem, they don't sit alongside each other.

My wife didn't realise it was a CGI, so I guess it was a success?

The rubber suits are great and ultimately fit into the world, the alien characters are CG/Suits; that fits; but to mix CG humans with real humans is the problem, they don't sit alongside each other.

I agree. And it's also that the lighting on the CGI models didn't match anything in the real environment, and not to mention the plastic nature of the visual. There's a sheen that looks like slick, sweaty rubber glistening on the CGI models' faces.

My wife didn't realise it was a CGI, so I guess it was a success?

Wow, Tarkin's head was about twice the size it should normally be. I thought he was going to fall over from the weight of that ginormous thing positioned on his shoulders.

but it looks rubbish so they're not really hyping it up.

You're one of very few people who think it's rubbish so..

You're one of very few people who think it's rubbish so..

All anecdotal I guess. Barring on here, I don't know anyone who thinks it looks good. At best it 'doesn't bother' people. But most agree it sits more than comfortably in uncanny valley.

I'd also say that most reviews that mention it say something negative about it rather than positive, but again, could just be the reviews I've read.

Also, if it did look as good as it needs to be, seamless, I think there'd be a huge huge fuss about it from Disney.

Space battles were cool, but that's pretty much all I have to say about it. 3/5

As for Tarkin / Leia, I didn't mind it, though it didn't have my preference. Would've liked to see new actors cast. They already have the perfect actor for Leia (for the 3 seconds they'd shown her): Carrie Fisher's daughter.

Whilst I agree that Billie Lourd would be the ideal stand-in for Leia, I think you've hit the nail on the head right there: she's already appeared in another film as another character. Also, considering the length of time Leia is in Rogue One, I'd have to disagree simply because it wouldn't optimise her talent.

Has Billie Lourd been in much other than Scream Queens? Because based on that i really wouldn't cast her in anything big...

To be fair I'd say the same about Daisy Ridley.

Billie Lourd doesn't look particularly like young Leia anyway.

Finally got round to watching it. Really enjoyed it!

It didn't really feel like Star Wars (cinematography and writing style is clearly very different), save for a few specific moments (the rebel attack run being a particular standout alongside Tarkin), but it was a pretty damn good action movie in its own right.

Yeah, Guy Henry did a great job recreating Tarkin (and yes, the CG on him was just incredible!), he really stole the show for me! K was really great as well, but I didn't care all that much for most of the new characters; they weren't terrible, but don't receive much in the way of development really and are kinda forgettable overall.

The first 30 mins or so are pretty messy, with things not really making much sense but they do slot into place eventually as the pace slows down a bit.

I like the twist about the Death Star construction as well; nice way of building a story out of it!

Music was disappointing though. Not a single memorable new tune sadly (I know why we can't have John Williams here, but still...)

While I do think it has some pacing issues and especially could do with some more downtime and comic relief (it's a pretty grim feeling movie all in all), it's pretty darn good overall! And best of all, it's a unique take on the Star Wars universe that doesn't feel hackeneyed and isn't just a glorified remake of a past movie! :D

Edited by Dcubed

Finally got round to watching it. Really enjoyed it!

It didn't really feel like Star Wars (cinematography and writing style is clearly very different), save for a few specific moments (the rebel attack run being a particular standout alongside Tarkin), but it was a pretty damn good action movie in its own right.

Yeah, Guy Henry did a great job recreating Tarkin (and yes, the CG on him was just incredible!), he really stole the show for me! K was really great as well, but I didn't care all that much for most of the new characters; they weren't bad, but don't receive much in the way of development really.

The first 30 mins or so are pretty messy, with things not really making much sense but they do slot into place eventually as the pace slows down a bit.

I like the twist about the Death Star construction as well; nice way of building a story out of it!

Music was disappointing though. Not a single memorable new tune sadly (I know why we can't have John Williams here, but still...)

While I do think it has some pacing issues and especially could do with some more downtime and comic relief (it's a pretty grim feeling movie all in all), it's pretty darn good overall! And best of all, it's a unique take on the Star Wars universe that doesn't feel hackeneyed and isn't just a glorified remake of a past movie! :D

Most of your issues will be fixed on rewatches - if you're anything like me anyway. Went out of the cinema on NYE humming some of the music from the last act.

I didn't think must of the supporting characters on my first watch either but I really like them now. Chirrut and Baze's companionship is very touching.

I've found myself craving to see this again. :D

It's quite humorous to hear people out there who are confused where this fits in the Star Wars timeline. It's so fucking simple! @Eenuh tried (in vain) to explain this to her Dad and he wasn't getting it.

Just say it fits in during these two sentences...

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Shorty

Billie Lourd looks more than her mother when she was young than most actresses, and I'm sure she's capable of delivering that one line Leia had. But my main point was that I preferred to see a real actor in place of the CG character, I thought Billie Lourd would be perfect in Leia's case, but it could be someone else. My brother suggested Charles Dance for Tarkin I believe, which I think could work.

The thing is, I think using CG characters is a bit condescending towards the viewers, we're not stupid, and we understand sometimes actors have to be replaced. Mention his name and we're all up to speed. I can't imagine why they go to so much trouble since just replacing an actor must be much cheaper and easier than the CG solution (which requires the special effects, a voice actor, and perhaps a motion captor actor). But like I said, I didn't mind the end result, it was good enough. I might have objected if either character had a more substantial role, but it works for the limited screentime they had.

Rogue one had a lot of problems, and the CG characters wasn't one of them. My main issues are the bad editing in the first half, and especially the bad (or rather non-existent) character development. You practically learn nothing about any of them, including Jynn Erso, then all of them die, and I feel nothing. I don't care. The robot's dialogue was cringeworthy (writers were trying too hard to make him "cool" / likeable), the Krennic dude was constantly undermined by others to be a respectable bad guy. Then there are of course the generic cool dude with a staff and cool dude with a big gun duo, having no other reason for being on screen than simply looking cool while beating up storm troopers. Oh and Saw Gerrera.. Being there only to serve as a tie-in to the cartoons.

I've heard they cut a flashback scene with Saw and Jynn, which boggles the kind, because that's the kind of stuff that's missing from the film, and something I would have liked to see.

What was good was the action in the 2nd half. A cool and more elaborate portrayal of what war was like in the Star Wars universe. The dog fights were cool, and more nostalgia inducing than anything seen in A force awakens. But that's the only thing I liked, and at this rate I don't have any high hopes for VIII.

Billie Lourd looks more than her mother when she was young than most actresses, and I'm sure she's capable of delivering that one line Leia had.

Oh yeah, i'm sure she can say 'hope' in that smug way, but for some reason i thought people were discussing casting her in Episode IX, which makes no sense, thinking about it, as it'd need an old Leia, not a young one...

Well that would be weird indeed. Plus she's already playing a background character in the current trilogy, which I believe they want to expand on in the next films.

Carrie Fisher had already filmed her scenes, so it won't really affect VIII, though they're limited in their ability to reshoot scenes if necessary (and if Rogue One is an indication..).

But I wonder what they'll do for IX, and what their plans were. I'm sure they haven't written more than a plot outline for IX, but whatever they had, it involved Leia in a way, so they have to deal with Carrie Fisher's death. Unlike Tarkin and young Leia, this is not a situation where you want a replacement actor, or a CG one.. Carrie Fisher's performance is too fresh in our minds. An off screen death is the best thing they can do.

I just that they've assembled a "Star Wars Brain Trust" to try and work out what to do with Leia, story-wise.

I just that they've assembled a "Star Wars Brain Trust" to try and work out what to do with Leia, story-wise.

Well, the Brain Trust meeting was already scheduled and has been in the works for a while now. Naturally, after such an unfortunate passing, this is something that will come up.

It's good that they have quite a good length of time and don't have to rush into any rash decisions, and can give Leia and Carrie the send off she deserves.