NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Glen-i

Why do people actively seek spoilers?

This has been on my mind for some time and what with Pokemon Sun/Moon leaking all over the place like a baby without a nappy, I thought now would be a good time to ask.

Why does the majority of the internet actively seek spoilers when it comes to games?

You only have to look at the likes of Youtube to see all sorts of videos titled with blatant spoilers in the run up to a game's release and shortly after a game is out.

It's hardly a new phenomenon, it's been going on for a while now. So these kind of videos are clearly drawing in the views.

But why do those viewers like ruining the sense of surprise a game may provide?

What are your thoughts? Are you prone to spoiling a game before you've even played, and if so, why?

It's probably due to excess hype. People are excited to find out anything they can about a game in order to satiate their need for hype, and so they end up viewing spoilers to do so.

Also, for some, a game is about game play and the activity of playing it, rather than the plot or surprises during play, so they don't care if they know more about the game beforehand.

Because their friends do it and they don't want to feel left out? I can imagine that being a common one (and it only takes one jerkface to ruin it for everyone...)

Some people like absorbing as much information about a product as they can, even if it includes pre-release spoilers.

I doubt that this is a majority of the fanbase, but it is the chunk that'll contribute the most clicks to news articles/videos and ultimately bring more publicity to the product, whereas those who avoid information will just not see anything until its release. The end result is that late news end up revealing a lot of stuff in an effort to market the product to online audiences.

I don't really mind most of the time, as I rarely buy stuff close to its release date. The few times it does happen, though, I have no trouble staying out of discussions for a month or so.

Some people don't care about surprises.

This essentially.

Pokémon to me has no story to speak of so I don't care about spoilers as I don't consider mechanisms spoilers (unless they radically change during the game).

If I feel a game has a story I want to invest in I will try and avoid spoilers.

Pokémon to me has no story to speak of so I don't care about spoilers as I don't consider mechanisms spoilers (unless they radically change during the game).

With Pokemon, it's not story spoilers, it's the new Pokemon. Part of the excitement of a new gen arriving at a new area and not knowing what you'll encounter, or a Pokemon evolving when you don't expect it. At least for me anyway.

To answer the main question, it's also probably a bit of "I know something you don't know".

Oh yeah I get that, but I don't care about that so I don't see it as a spoiler.

I can understand spoilers being an issue when it comes to things like Game of Thrones, Star Wars, or any other medium with a story that has been going over many years.

But Pokemon games start over with each new gen, and the story has never been anything to write home about. Can kinda understand why people may not want evolutions ruined though. Half the fun is the surprise of what it'll turn into. Though after Gold/Silver I thought most of the Pokemon themselves were garbage anyway. (Wasn't one actually made of garbage bags? Or did I dream that/just invent it?)

I can't say that I've seen that many videogame related spoilers or videos that contain spoilers.

Some like to be able to analyse a trailer and dissect it. That's fine. There's a lot of fun in that, as people come together to share their thoughts and discuss what they think could happen based on what they've seen.

I blame 4chan....

...On a serious note, I think it just depends on how popular a franchise is within online circles that tends to determine how much coverage and interest the internet is likely to give it, plus it makes it more likely for it to be leaked because people are more interested.

Also possibly more likely in games which have a competitive metagame, those who play these games competitively are usually most interested in how the stuff that the new games will bring to the table will affect the overall competitive scene. Since these are competitive players, as far as they are concerned the sooner they know this information the better, seeing as it will help give them an advantage over players who don't quite know what they're doing.

But mainly I think it just depends on how much public hype there is for a game. I'm getting a bit tired of every Pokemon game that comes out getting all it's information leaked online before it gets released, and similarly all the surprises in Smash Bros. keep getting leaked (Brawl's entire roster leaked online the day before it came out in Japan, Smash 4 had something similar leak much sooner including the existence of Shulk in the game right before they actually revealed Shulk) and I can imagine there are other game series out there on other consoles where stuff leaks before release. In fact, just reading up on it now, parts of CoD: Advanced Warfare were apparently leaked online and obviously those games sell by the bucketload every year and a strong community for those games has built up.

Also, some desperate Youtubers who will post anything they find about certain games online including leaks just so that they can have some content and make money off their partners.

Why? ADHD.

People. Just. Cant. Control. Themselves... and social media amplifies this. (In my humble controversial opinion)

Why? ADHD.

People. Just. Cant. Control. Themselves... and social media amplifies this. (In my humble controversial opinion)

That's a bit condescending. People could just not care about spoilers, they don't have to have a mental illness in order to look at spoilers.

That's a bit condescending. People could just not care about spoilers, they don't have to have a mental illness in order to look at spoilers.

I don't mean it to be condescending, but how can there be reasoning for wanting to know the plot of plot heavy titles that will take you back £40-£60. It's somewhat insane to me or at least doesn't make sense, and seems like a disorder in itself.

Just my opinion - no offence intended.

Edited by King_V

I don't mean it to be condescending, but how can there be reasoning for wanting to know the plot of plot heavy titles that will take you back £40-£60. It's somewhat insane to me or at least doesn't make sense, and seems like a disorder in itself.

Just my opinion - no offence intended.

You've literally just said "your personal way of doing things is insane (to me), doesn't make sense and seems like a disorder" and then said "no offence intended"...

If you don't intend to offend, don't say those things then.

I already explained. 1) I don't find Zelda plot heavy and 2) it's my choice if I want to be spoiled or not. Doesn't mean I have a disorder.

You've literally just said "your personal way of doing things is insane (to me), doesn't make sense and seems like a disorder" and then said "no offence intended"...

If you don't intend to offend, don't say those things then.

I already explained. 1) I don't find Zelda plot heavy and 2) it's my choice if I want to be spoiled or not. Doesn't mean I have a disorder.

Does everything have to be taken so personally? I didn't even address you or any specific person. I'm sorry if my opinion is hard for you to take but am I not still entitled to it?

Does everything have to be taken so personally? I didn't even address you or any specific person. I'm sorry if my opinion is hard for you to take but am I not still entitled to it?

Just as I'm entitled to think it was an offensive thing to say. I wasn't calling for a retraction, I was merely pointing out what you were saying is offensive and no amount of "no offence" will eradicate the offence.

I think both the points being made above are valid - it's fair enough to suggest something that might be offensive, but you can't then get upset with someone who does take offense by it if you can acknowledge the potential for offense. I don't think there was any malice or bad blood intended though.

As for myself and spoilers - hmm. I've sometimes spoiled things over the years through the use of guides, trailers, tidbits released before the game etc. I don't actively SEEK spoilers(did more so when I was young due to excitement, but also information was much more limited back then too), and usually any 'lets play' or review I look for in a game I'll try to find only the first portion of the game being played(as it'll be what I experience first too) but I do think there's a slight difference in story spoilers with a video games vs say a film, or even a book. There's a lot more active agency in a video game - that even if you ARE spoiled on story you can still get a lot out of the gameplay and any bits of story you weren't otherwise aware of. I think that can make a big difference compared to a film where you're a generally passive audience, and whilst books feel more involved due to imagination the same argument could be made there too(tho I don't think it's exactly parallel).

Generally when it comes to play a game these days I'd like a general overview of what it's about and its gameplay to help me decide if I want to buy/play it(gameplay being most important) and often I'll probably look on HLTB to see how long it may take me - but outside of that I don't actively spoil myself too much as far as I'm aware. Sometimes I spoil myself inadvertently in advance by following a game I don't originally intend to pick up and later get - but again I'm usually well aware of this so it's no big deal.

Because their friends do it and they don't want to feel left out? I can imagine that being a common one (and it only takes one jerkface to ruin it for everyone...)

Sign in to follow this