NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ike

Random PC shutdowns

Just had my PC shut down unexpectedly and it's been doing this for a while but I can't work out what's causing it.

I've tried replacing the PSU, the power extension cable and 2 different kettle leads in the PSU. Temps look normal when I switch the machine on again. Nothing really useful in the event logs that I can see. Everything else seems to stay powered though and the PC reboots.

All other tests I tried have been fine. Anyone got any ideas on what I can check?

Running Windows 10.

Edited by Ike

>All other tests I tried have been fine. Anyone got any ideas on what I can check?

I'm not sure what tests you have already done so sorry if you have already done the following...

Some other areas to look at would be either a memory or a graphics card fault. Running a memory test might be a good idea. Unplugging and plugging in memory and your graphics card (maybe hard drive) is worth a go too. If your PC has an internal graphics card then it might be worth running that for a short while to see if your machine still crashes.

I know that System Restore is disabled in Windows 10 but it's worth trying that if you can restore your computer to an earlier date. Also have a look into using System File Checker tool which can scan system files for any changes or corruption.

Edited by sumo73

Can you run a diagnostic on your hard drive? If it's failing to load a system component that could cause it. Although you'd expect that to appear in the logs.

Ran some memory test before than they didn't come back with anything. Tried a stress test to see if it was temps, but again nothing. Samsung Magician says my drive health is "good", not sure if I use some other software to test it.

I noticed in device manager under firmware, it had Lenovo H110 System Firmware drivers installed with the warning triangle, which isn't what my motherboard is (it's an ASUS) which I fixed previously but it must have reverted at some point. Probably when I installed the Anniversary Update.

Update: It just happened again, so it wasn't that...

Edited by Ike

There are viruses that make your PC shut down.

What are you using to validate your temperature?

Are you using a surge protector, ever have any issues with the electric/sockets in your home?

Although you passed Memtest (assuming you used Memtest86), try removing a stick at a time and testing without.

Maybe try using the Automatic Repair option in Windows 10. Suggest you try the 'Refresh you PC without affecting your files' before trying the 'Advanced Setup' menu. If options within Advanced Setup don't work and you have tried everything else including hardware-wise then think about doing a re-installation of Windows 10 but this should be a last and final resort. Back up anything important before you do that.

Do you get a BSOD, or does it just turn off by itself?

Try entering the command sfc /scannow into an administrator terminal, and waiting for it to complete - this will check the integrity of your Windows installation. And following on from Shorty's comment about viruses, did you run any kind of AV software?

There are viruses that make your PC shut down.

What are you using to validate your temperature?

Are you using a surge protector, ever have any issues with the electric/sockets in your home?

Although you passed Memtest (assuming you used Memtest86), try removing a stick at a time and testing without.

Did virus scan with Nod32, Anti Malware Bytes and Windows defender, found nothing.

I use Corsair Link to monitor the temps, can't see anything abnormal.

Not has any issues with my electrics. Everything else stays on, even stuff on the same extension/socket (my speakers for example).

I don't think it was Memtest86, I must of used something else. I tried running Memtest86 yesterday and it took 8 hours just to do 4 passes.

Maybe try using the Automatic Repair option in Windows 10. Suggest you try the 'Refresh you PC without affecting your files' before trying the 'Advanced Setup' menu. If options within Advanced Setup don't work and you have tried everything else including hardware-wise then think about doing a re-installation of Windows 10 but this should be a last and final resort. Back up anything important before you do that.

Do you need a disk or USB install to do that?

Do you get a BSOD, or does it just turn off by itself?

Try entering the command sfc /scannow into an administrator terminal, and waiting for it to complete - this will check the integrity of your Windows installation. And following on from Shorty's comment about viruses, did you run any kind of AV software?

Just shuts off with no warning. Turned off the automatic restart on BSOD but it still just shuts off.

It could also be overheating, do you clean the dust from your cooling fans?

There' very little to no dust in there.

Do you need a disk or USB install to do that?

I would strongly recommend going through the options within Automatic Repair before trying any kind of reinstalling and yes you normally need a USB or disc to reinstall.

Automatic Repair

No USB or disc?

Have you tried rebooting in safe mode and if so has your computer switched off without warning when it's in that mode?

Have you tried resetting your BIOS settings to it's default/safe settings to see if that changes anything?

Edited by sumo73

I don't think it was Memtest86, I must of used something else. I tried running Memtest86 yesterday and it took 8 hours just to do 4 passes.

Yeah this is normal, you want to run it overnight. 8 hours is pretty fast for 4 passes :p

Hope you get this figured out. At this point it's starting to sound like it's the mobo.

Hope you get this figured out. At this point it's starting to sound like it's the mobo.

Honestly, I suspect it is the motherboard as well. It makes a weird electrical noise (coil whine?) which drives me mad, so I'm tempted to just replace it. I'd lose Windows 10 since I got it during the free upgrade period.

I believe that depends whether it's OEM version of Windows 10 (or upgraded from). A retail license is transferable whether an upgrade or not.

I'd still recommend running sfc /scannow before fixing the installation/replacing the mobo etc.

I'd still recommend running sfc /scannow before fixing the installation/replacing the mobo etc.

I ran it, it didn't find anything.

I ran it, it didn't find anything.

Fair enough, the issue probably isn't with the Windows installation then.

Fair enough, the issue probably isn't with the Windows installation then.

Not worth trying a refresh then?

Going to run it in safe mode for a while and see if it happens before trying anything else.

Check to see if your motherboard has any new updates including updates for your BIOS if needed. It might be worth checking online to see if anyone else has had problems with the motherboard you have just in case.

It might be worth running some kind of debug tool (something like Dr. Watson but better) at boot/start up while you try and work out what's causing your machine to crash.

Have you tried to stress test your PC (HeavyLoad, StressMyPC...) and if so what happened?

Finally, suggest you back up any important data just in case your PC (I hope it doesn't) gets worse. In the past I never backed up any data and then my machine went wrong and I lost a lot of stuff.

Edited by sumo73

I bit the bullet and replaced the motherboard, was getting tired of going in circles trying to diagnose the issue. The annoying coil whine noise has gone so that's a bonus. Fingers crossed it fixes the shutdowns.

Cheers for the suggestions,. everyone. (I tried StressMyPC and it didn't shut down, BIOS was up to date but I even tried rolling back the drivers just in case and it still happened).

Sign in to follow this