NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Pestneb

Nintendo switch software lineup

I was just thinking about the games Nintendo could release for the Switch obviously we have a very good idea of 4, but what first party titles do you think we'll see, and when do you think they might be released? (obviously this is pure speculation, but it could be fun to see how (in)accurately we can predict the software!

We know a platformer for mario will come out. I'm convinced it was planned for Wii U, so I suspect it will be released in the first year. Possibly in November.

Zelda at Launch naturally.

Mario Kart 9 I suspect a summer release 2017, or at some point in 2018

Splatoon 2 I suspect would release either in the summer this year in the absence of Mario kart 9. Otherwise 2018. If Nintendo are smart they'll have the two games separated by about a year to have the strongly multiplayer focused games spread out to avoid competition between the two and keep players occupied in the two communities.

I suspect Smash bros will come out 2019/2020, I wouldn't be surprised if they made some kind of QoL wii fit style app (maybe no longer called wii fit though), a Nintendo land style game may be out there, maybe including a Nintendo arcade vc type thing? Luigi's mansion would be a welcome game, probably be cliché and released on halloween at some point in the switch's life span, that or launch.

Donkey Kong Country may have a break this gen, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a DK switch, every console has had a solid selling DK game since the snes (even the arcade game did ok on the nes). If the switch sells more than the GC a DK is all but guaranteed.

I think Nintendo were onto something with mario maker. If they omit to make a mainline DK game for the switch, perhaps we'll get a DK maker. That could be a good game to release if they see an impending drought (almost guaranteed no?) to give us a nice steady supply of platforming goodness!

Starfox...zero did very poorly. If the Switch out sells the N64 this gen fairly early on (ie in 2019 it is clear that lifetime sales of switch will exceed lifetime sales of the N64) we may have a new starfox, hopefully one that pushes the series in a direction that draws new fans in as well as catering to existing fans. I doubt this though. Starfox is a second tier series and I think zero makes a sequel on the switch unlikely.

Mario party 11, and probably 12 are surely guaranteed?

Animal crossing.. the latest update makes me think that either there will be connectivity between 3ds and switch versions, or they were gauging people's interest. If it is the latter I don't expect animal crossing until 2019. I'll put it as 2019-20

Pokemon has to be coming out in some form! a companion software for sun and moon in 2017 seems likely.

Maybe even a main series title (surely it will come out?) for the switch in 2019/20?

Wave race, well over due, along with excite bike. I'd like to see at least one of these two series released quite early on in the consoles life. Nintendo have done quite well with water effects in various games, recently with liquid in splatoon and paper mario, I think they could make an attractive wave race sequel. Equally excite bike surely needs to be remade after the mario kart 8 track dlc.... These are both very low down in series prestige, perhaps Excite series has a better chance after the Wii proved the series is still on Nintendo's radar. Waverace is a little more distant but there is still hope.

Paper Mario. This series is in a strong position due to it featuring mario.. I expect this title to be a late-mid or end of the switch's life cycle. So I'll peg it in 2021/2022

F-zero. A few hopeful/wishful shin'en references with F-zero. It may just be a fast racing neo sequel though, but perhaps that would be enough. again, this game seems to have fallen out of favour, GX didn't do well, even by the standards of the GC, and it's predecessor didn't do much better on the N64.

I enjoy the game, but I'm not holding out too much hope. Maybe a re-imagining (and reveral in some ways) with the MK9 engine being used to create a faster paced and frantic f-zero closer to the originals roots? With Mk coming in 2017-8, I would place f-zero switch around 2020-2021.

Mario strikers was a fun game on the gc and wii... it seems a perfect match for the switch after seeing the trailer Nintendo released. Ripe for revival. I put this in for mid 2017 if 3rd party offerings (such as fifa, basketball etc.) aren't available. If they are I can see it being more of a 2019 release.

Yoshi's marvelous matchstick mission. Not a clue what gimic Yoshi's next outing will offer us, but I am sure it will be a platformer that is full of charm. I'm not sure why Nintendo love Yoshi as much as they do, but suspect it appeals to a subset of fans and pays for Nintendo to put that dino out there!

Punchout. If the joy cons have accelerometers in them I can see a punchout wii style system being released... hopefully with conventional controls also available. I actually found wii sports boxing really refreshing and fun, if they could refine that (and include good levels of humour and puzzle solving in the equation) punchout switch could be great. Even if there are no accelerometers, punchout is a series that I loved growing up, it would be great to see the game come back with a vengeance!

So my fake Nintendo Switch release schedule:

Q1 Zelda BotW and Luigi's mansion 3

Q2 Mario Kart 9/Splatoon

Q3 Mario Party 11 and if weak 3rd party sports offerings Mario Strikers

Q4 Mario Switch

Q1 Wave race/excite bike

Q2 Splatoon/mario kart 9

Q3 Switch fit

Q4 F-zero

Q1 Animal crossing switch

Q2 Nintendo land 2

Q3 DK maker and, with good 3rd party sport titles thus far, mario strikers.

Q4 Smash bros

Yoshi's marvelous matchstick mission

Starfox

Pokemon

Mario party 12

Paper Mario

Punchout

What would your release schedule look like?

Edited by Pestneb

I've never been terribly keen on guessing a lineup of a console, but if there's one thing I'm confident about, it's this.

WiiU ports.

WiiU ports up the wazzoo!

The WiiU has a solid selection of games that it would be an awful shame to leave behind.

I'd be very surprised if porting Smash 4 isn't high on Ninty's to do list.

I think the system will launch with Zelda, enhanced Mario Kart 8, enhanced Splatoon/Spla2oon and maybe one other new impressive title from Nintendo themselves. Perhaps some smaller scale "mobile" games to pad out the lineup, alongside a decent virtual console library off the bat.

I hope for Splatoon with more levels, at least 6 new levels for the singleplayer. But even with improved multiplayer, I will get it again.

I think that I will enjoy Switch a lot more than the Wii U as I will be able to play the games slowly instead of just finishing them so I can switch to other games.

I think the system will launch with Zelda, enhanced Mario Kart 8, enhanced Splatoon/Spla2oon and maybe one other new impressive title from Nintendo themselves. Perhaps some smaller scale "mobile" games to pad out the lineup, alongside a decent virtual console library off the bat.

I have to admit that I'll be a bit disappointed if the console launches with a bunch of Wii U ports and remasters :hmm:

I hope we get something a bit different like we did with the Gamecube and Luigi's Mansion.

Didn't Emily Rogers suggest there was a Luigi's Mansion game? I think she said for it was a launch game but I'm not 100% on that part. So that, Zelda and Mario Kart 8.5 would be a pretty incredible first party launch line up right there. Splatoon, Smash on the way, whatever else they're developing for the year + Mario at Christmas :love:

Didn't Emily Rogers suggest there was a Luigi's Mansion game? I think she said for it was a launch game but I'm not 100% on that part. So that, Zelda and Mario Kart 8.5 would be a pretty incredible first party launch line up right there. Splatoon, Smash on the way, whatever else they're developing for the year + Mario at Christmas :love:
Mario would be the perfect Christmas game, but rumours have been quite bang on so far, and there was that one of Zelda-Mario-Pokémon within the first 6 months, which only takes us as far as September. Hopefully it wasn't accurate - or hopefully there's some other incredible Christmas game planned - maybe an Amiibo/Nintendo World game.

I'd be inclined to get the big games released quickly, to give it the best chance of success. Once it's an established games machine, other publishers can take it from there.

Launch

3D Mario

New Super Mario Bros

Mario Kart

Zelda: Breath of the Wild

The first three are probably the ones most people look for in terms of popular appeal. If Zelda wasn't in the situation it's in, I'd leave it until Year 2, but in this particular case it has to be a launch title.

Year 2

Smash Bros

Splatoon

Metroid

Now's the time to get out the fan favourites, with a focus on the more popular ones. Metroid is less established than it once was, but I still think it needs to arrive quite early.

Year 3

Animal Crossing

Mario Maker

F-Zero (based on the Mario Kart engine)

A complex, in-depth game like Animal Crossing needs to be released fairly early so there's plenty of time to play it before the console's past its best. As for F-Zero, enough time will have passed since Mario Kart to re-use the engine and (frankly) make a better game!

Year 4

Metroid sequel

3D Mario sequel

If Switch isn't a success by now, there will not be much point inventing brand new concepts for it. In either case, a 2nd Metroid game (using assets and engine from the earlier game) would a welcome experience for fans to get their teeth into. Similar with Mario.

Year 5

Zelda sequel

Whether Switch has been a success or not, it can bow out with a creative, Majora's Mask-esque Zelda that uses the assets from Breath of the Wild.

I like @Grazza's schedule although within it Nintendo should add other titles from their IP as well as create new IP.

Waverace, Battalion Wars, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Pokémon et al.

Ok, another question - do you think the console will come with any pack-in game?

The Wii had Sports, did the U have Nintendoland? I've seen some muse that the Switch could come with a refreshed Mario Kart or Splatoon bundled in.

Sign in to follow this