NEurope
The Cape

Westworld (TV series)

Has anyone been watching this? I'm enjoying it so far, and

the story is deeper than in the movie. As far as I remember, the movie presented a great idea but not much happened (correct me if I'm wrong, I watched it a long while ago!). This seems to be developing a story around that, which is what I was expecting from the film as I was watching it.

I am fascinated by this programme - I find AI and lifelike androids to be both repulsive and compelling, so I keep having to hold my stomach when they start peeling the hosts apart. It's a slow-burn story and I am really enjoying the build.

I'm loving it. The story seems to have a depth and complexity that is so lacking in most TV shows. The dialogue is questioning of the self, morality, humanity, and philosophy in general. Utterly compelling. Not to mention that Anthony Hopkins hasn't been this good in a movie for a long time. He is spell binding. I want to go back and watch all 5 aired episodes over again.

I agree with @The Cape that the film lacked such insightful dialogue due to run-time. This builds on everything the movie did, and ramps it up to instant cult TV.

I'm watching it and enjoying it too. I can't remember much of the film, having seen it just the once, so long ago.

I think they've got the balance of not giving away too much and giving just enough to garner more intrigue with each episode just right.

Not to mention that Anthony Hopkins hasn't been this good in a movie for a long time. He is spell binding. I want to go back and watch all 5 aired episodes over again.

So true, he's brilliant in this show, I'm always looking forward to knowing more about his plans/backstory.

By the way, do you think I'm correct when I say

that, at least with Dolores, there is more than one body with a shared mind (code)? Now that Dolores is so out of her loop and has survived for so many days, I guess that when we see her talking with the coders in her 'dreams' that's another body, while the one in the park is 'sleeping' next to the guests, wherever they are?

I'm looking forward to this. I think I'm hearing positive reactions so far, and I think I'll just blindbuy this when it's released on blu-ray. I'm hoping this will be to the old Westworld what the Battlestar Galactica series is to the old one.

I can barely remember the film, apart from Yul Brynner's iconic face, but as far as I remember it was a pretty simple action / thriller cat & mouse chase.

We've been watching this (just watched episode 5 tonight) and really enjoying it. It's different, and in a way makes you feel a bit uneasy about the people in this "world". Also makes me wonder how I would respond/act if I was a visitor to this world...

I like the way the story is slowly unfolding throughout each episode, and the acting and music in this show is just great. You can tell a lot of work (and money) has gone into it.

Looking forward to the rest of the season. :)

By the way, do you think I'm correct when I say

that, at least with Dolores, there is more than one body with a shared mind (code)? Now that Dolores is so out of her loop and has survived for so many days, I guess that when we see her talking with the coders in her 'dreams' that's another body, while the one in the park is 'sleeping' next to the guests, wherever they are?

It does seem like a stretch of faith to have her recalled every night and take the chance that a guest might not awaken for a nightly excursion to the bathroom, or something else. I really did think that double bodies would be a thing, but the way Bernard keeps telling her to return negates that, then again the last scene between Dr.Robert Ford and Dolores implied it heavily (which might mean only he has access to the duplicates).

It does seem like a stretch of faith to have her recalled every night and take the chance that a guest might not awaken for a nightly excursion to the bathroom, or something else. I really did think that double bodies would be a thing, but the way Bernard keeps telling her to return negates that, then again the last scene between Dr.Robert Ford and Dolores implied it heavily (which might mean only he has access to the duplicates).

I was also wondering this the other day.

I think that there are duplicates that share the mind of the robot in Westworld, and the mind is transferred if the duplicate in the real world is turned on during the night of Westworld. If the body is damaged, though, the robot is taken out of Westworld as we see with the prostitute (forgot her name). It doesn't explain why they are sometimes dressed and other times naked, though.

I'm really enjoying this show as well. I think the story is intriguing, I thought I had it figured in episode 2 but a lot of things have taken a turn I didn't really expect. Also, acting is great, and the characters are interesting!

However, I don't think I need more than a couple of seasons of this. Hopefully producers agree.

However, I don't think I need more than a couple of seasons of this. Hopefully producers agree.

It's way too early to tell at this point how long it should go on for. Imagine trying to gauge how long Game of Thrones should've gone on for having only seen five episodes - and of course assuming you didn't know it was based on several large novels.

Personally I have been lukewarm to the show thus far but am enjoying it more with every episode. I think it'll be another win for strong female characters (which is a term I resent having to say, but hey, give it a few more years hopefully we won't have to.)

I suppose my main issues so far have been that although I haven't seen the original movie, I have watched and read a lot of science fiction, and so the themes aren't that unique. But I trust HBO to take the ideas in new and unexpected directions.

Edited by somme

This series is great. The visuals of it are really fab.

I'm a bit confused by what happened in the latest episode though. They can get punched?

Edited by Shorty

Episode six was really good. It's starting to get really interesting now.

This series is great. The visuals of it are really fab.

I'm a bit confused by what happened in the latest episode though. They can get punched?

Guests can be harmed but not killed. However, moat narratives in the cities are harmless to guests, it's only out in the wild that the more ... exciting narratives are found.

Oh, and that ending!! This episode really had some progress with the story.

Edited by MindFreak

Oh wow, Maeve is going to be trouble. I'm loving this. Also, who was that person in the dark theatre? Arnold? All that led me to think that Arnold uploaded his consciousness in a host, and is now the person living in the center of the maze that Teddy said. But I feel like there's more to it and they are just playing with us, as it can't be that all questions can be traced back to Arnold. Great episode

:grin:

On a side note, Teddy's face looks so much better than in the previous episode. That blood really worked wonders.

Episode 6 was brilliant, i'm gripped. This show is getting better and better.

I'm wondering whom that person is in the abandoned theater, could it be Arnold?. Who knows. Either way, it's interesting to see the hosts becoming self-aware of their pasts.

Not quite caught up yet, still maybe 1 or 2 episodes behind. Really enjoying this though.

Not seen the film so know little about this, but I've got a theory that

"Wyatt" is Arnold. There's no way he can be dead for real. Ford planted Wyatt in Teddy's head through his backstory update,I'm wondering if he has an agenda to draw his former partner out.

And I've also got a really silly, and it'd better not play out kind of theory. But if it did, it'll be in series 3 or 4 and a "jump the shark" moment. Bernard is actually a synth (if that's what they're called)

Not quite caught up yet, still maybe 1 or 2 episodes behind. Really enjoying this though.

Not seen the film so know little about this, but I've got a theory that

And I've also got a really silly, and it'd better not play out kind of theory. But if it did, it'll be in series 3 or 4 and a "jump the shark" moment. Bernard is actually a synth (if that's what they're called)

Well.. they didn't wait too long to admit that at least! But spot on, good call!

Well shit. I never usually see these sort of twists coming. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing though...

I guessed that something like that would happen. But not the specifics. Getting better every episode. I've gone from thinking, "It's HBO, it'll get good," to actively recommending it now.

Yeah, really enjoying it too. It actually seems like a better fit as a miniseries - I can't see how the present story threads can be dragged out over multiple seasons.

Then again, apparently s2 won't be out until 2018 so I guess they've got a while to mull it over!

I'm totally sick of this kind of lazy headline writing from US websites

spudfc.png

Might as well have 'BERNARD IS SYNTH' are your headline. Pish.

Well, it could be January 2018 which means that it's only a little more than a year...? :)

But probably not!

After this last episode I was wondering, do we know

what powers the hosts? Because I don't recall seeing them charging or anything, and no one mentioned that when Maeve said she would leave the park, they just talked about the bomb. What do you guys think? They are recharged when they are sent back to the lab, before their loop starts again? Is there some kind of area charging in the park? (as in, they charge by standing on the floor for example)

After this last episode I was wondering, do we know

what powers the hosts? Because I don't recall seeing them charging or anything, and no one mentioned that when Maeve said she would leave the park, they just talked about the bomb. What do you guys think? They are recharged when they are sent back to the lab, before their loop starts again? Is there some kind of area charging in the park? (as in, they charge by standing on the floor for example)

No they haven't talked about it at all. And when they're getting built it all looks like sinuous ligaments with no sign of mechanical battery like appendages. They eat, so maybe they have some some sort of internal bacterial digestion system. The amount of alcohol some of them put away is phenomenal, maybe an ethanol converter of some sort. Or the whole park is sitting on top of underground inductive charging system. So, they are constantly being powered, like fairground dodg'ems.