NEurope
Happenstance

Remember when the General Chit Chat section was always busy?

I apologise for not posting much these days and therefore contributing toward quietness in these parts, but merging the boards feels like a good call.

Nah, he only joined in 2010 and definitely definitely wasn't around before that when it was at its busiest.

Nah, he only joined in 2010 and definitely definitely wasn't around before that when it was at its busiest.

Oh yeah, I confused him with someone with a much cooler username.

Oh yeah, I confused him with someone with a much cooler username.

xMGKz.gif

MEEEEEEERRRRRGEEEE THEEEEEEEEEEEM!

I've been chatting with @Shorty in the mod-boards and we generally agree that the forums do need an influx of new, fresh and maybe younger faces. I'm hoping that the Switch will be a success because this place could attract new fans. We need that.

I wonder if maybe people would create more threads if we abandoned the large mega-threads. At the moment, you could argue that the majority of threads could be condensed into three or four. The problem with that is that it makes the front page of Gen Chit Chat look empty. I remember back on C-E and in the early days of R-E where there were loads of threads each day. It's a bit of an illusion, but there is something to be said for having a busy front page.

I remember times when I didn't log on for a weekend and I had PAGES to catch up on. Now I'm rarely here (due to lack of working computer & money to fix same) and it never really goes past the first half.

Its possible that the mega threads are doing something to cause that but there used to be so so many more people on here with no social lives to speak of :heh: I mean most of us are in relationships / having children / buying houses, and ADULTING. Which doesn't leave much time to be a shut in!

I used to spend my day working then coming home and spending the WHOLE evening on msn messenger & here. And look what happened to msn messenger :heh: The internet has changed. Even in 2005 forums were a dying breed. Now its all on facebook pages and groups.

tl;dr i miss the old days

We did close the mega threads for a while but people didn't seem to then start smaller threads and campaigned for them back.

It's a tricky one. Don't want to over-force people to change but we had good intentions.

Maybe we just set a daily rota and each day one person has to come up with a new thread :heh:

More blood would be good too. If you know any impressionable youths, send them this way.

Merge them.

I've always said this place isn't a democracy and shouldn't be treated like one. :)

The forums are definitely quieter than they used to be, the Analytics back that up. I went through a spell of trying to create new threads but people just don't post in them much. We have good chats in good/bad/love/jobs and outside that there are few other threads.

I certainly don't have the time I used to. It's banned at my new work for one and in the evening I'm rarely on a laptop. Coming here on mobile (like right now) rarely happens.

I still lurk, rarely post..(hey). Yup, it's a given that forums don't hold the same appeal they used to, but like Fierce_Link mentioned, maybe the Switch launch will offer some pep. :heart:

Spent far too much of my teenage years on Cube-Europe and the associated IRC channel (2001-2004 give or take). Amazed to see names that were familiar way back then still posting here. It was a whole lot busier but back then forums were one of the best places to get information/news and have a chat with people with similar interests.

On 01/11/2016 at 11:14 AM, bob said:

I just went and checked. It was Jayseven that locked it.

The bastard.

FarK YooUUU

• Like 1