NEurope
Retro_Link

Using Nintendo music on a Podcast

So I'm currently doing a Formula E (Electric motorsport) podcast and would really like to use a few music tracks from F-Zero in the show.

I emailed Nintendo about this and got the following response...

Dear Tom,

Thank you for contacting us to request for permission to use Nintendo properties.

Unfortunately we are not able to grant such request. As we receive thousands of requests on a daily basis and we do not have sufficient resources to review them all. Therefore, our general policy is to decline requests for permission for the use of Nintendo properties.

However, even though we are not able to grant permission, use of Nintendo's properties without formal permission by Nintendo may still be allowed under the relevant laws of the particular jurisdiction involved. Thus, we encourage you to seek the opinion of your own legal counsel if you have any questions about whether your particular proposed use is permitted without Nintendo's authorization.

If you have any further questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

So it seems it might not be a problem to go ahead and use Nintendo music in a Podcast, however I have no idea how to look into it any further...

Does anyone here know how I could go about it?

Or does anyone here know the answer? having approached Nintendo in the past/used music in a Podcast or other production of their own?

Would really appreciate any help!

I believe it would be fine but I'm making assumptions. I follow a large, prominent LEGO YouTuber (Just2Good) who has a) had legal run ins in the past, so I know he is very careful about this kind of thing and b) uses Gameboy music in lots/most of his video.s. all he does is write on screen what the songs are from.

So I'm currently doing a Formula E (Electric motorsport) podcast and would really like to use a few music tracks from F-Zero in the show.

I emailed Nintendo about this and got the following response...

So it seems it might not be a problem to go ahead and use Nintendo music in a Podcast, however I have no idea how to look into it any further...

Does anyone here know how I could go about it?

Or does anyone here know the answer? having approached Nintendo in the past/used music in a Podcast or other production of their own?

Would really appreciate any help!

I don't think it is fine. You will be using music that is still protected under the UK's copyright laws.

My suggestion is to obtain a licence.

http://www.prsformusic.com/users/broadcastandonline/onlinemobile/podcastlicence/Pages/podcastlicence.aspx

Take a look and browse around.