NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Kingdom Hearts HD Collection (PS4) 31st March

So these are the first two Kingdom Hearts games for PS4, am I understanding this correctly? Need to catch up with the story so this seems like a perfect opportunity.

So these are the first two Kingdom Hearts games for PS4, am I understanding this correctly? Need to catch up with the story so this seems like a perfect opportunity.

Yup. You get KH1, 2, Birth By Sleep ( prequel ) Dream Drop Distance (sequel to the second game ) and Chain of Memories ( set in between the first and second game ). You also get a couple of movies that fill in other gaps. Hell of a package that, along with the release of 2.8, will have you completely caught up. The whole story will finally be on a single console!

Yup. You get KH1, 2, Birth By Sleep ( prequel ) Dream Drop Distance (sequel to the second game ) and Chain of Memories ( set in between the first and second game ). You also get a couple of movies that fill in other gaps. Hell of a package that, along with the release of 2.8, will have you completely caught up. The whole story will finally be on a single console!

Is it a serious RPG with a decent story? It looks like the series is a bit of a joke, almost to the extent that it takes the the piss out of RPGs?

Is that the case?

It's a surprisingly deep and serious RPG series considering the characters and worlds it uses. Very well though of (the main 2 games anyway).

Is it a serious RPG with a decent story? It looks like the series is a bit of a joke, almost to the extent that it takes the the piss out of RPGs?

Is that the case?

Not at all. In fact many are critical of the series for being far too serious. If you love Disney and Final Fantasy ( some of the FF cameos are awesome ) then you'll probably enjoy it. Fantastic series in my eyes.

I never did finish 1 on the PS3 or even start 2. So yeah. They'll probably get my money again.

I held off on the HD remakes because they were on the PS3 and i've transitioned to PS4 now, thinking i could see a PC release or PS4 release, so i'm very happy now

Wait, this is for PS4? :p I thought it was for PS3 until I read Agent Gibbs post and as such as wasn't interested it. The first ones were, so I just assumed it was the case for this one too. I only finished the first HD one, and only played some of HD KHII and HD Birth by Sleep which I feel bad about, but haven't really been able to get back them because of half faulty controller and a really short charging cable. But since this is for PS4 I think I will buy them again and not only finish them but get the platinum which I intended the first time around. Also means I will be buying my fourth version of KHII and CoM :p I bought the Japanese Final Mix versions back on PS2 and even finished them.

Finally they've decided to bring this to the PS4. I've been wanting to try the KH series for ages, but without a PS3 I was disappointed they seemingly had no plans to bring the updates to the PS4. If this is indeed the full series as others have mentioned then that's terrific news! A sure fire seller and one Im delighted to see that the publishers have seen sense!

I finally got around to starting this collection properly over the weekend. I want get through the lot of them before Kingdom Hearts 3 drops and figured I had better get a move on. I finished the first game last night. Apart from a camera that likes to fly all over the place at times, the game still holds up stupidly well. I finished it on the hardest setting to nab the trophy and I started another play through straight away, this time on the easiest setting as I have to finish the game in under 15 hours and without changing equipment. I got the platinum on the PS3 version of the game but I love the series so much that i'm gonna try and nab it for this version as well.

• Thanks 1

I really want to replay the series before Kingdom Hearts 3 is released, but I keep putting it off because I really don't want to replay Chain of Memories or the two DS titles.

I'm starting to feel like I'm running out of time...

There’s a trophy for not changing equipment? That sounds tedious as all fuck. I like equipment in games. 

Finished the game again and got the platinum over the weekend. I really enjoyed playing the speed run and no equipment run. I managed to do it faster than I thought I would and I clocked the game in around 9 hours (27 after all the sidequests and trophies had been done). Once you get the Aero spell fully upgraded you are laughing. It  absorbs so much damage that you can just sit wailing on enemies without dodging. I was wanting to play something else before I started grinding out a few of the other trophies but my next platinum would have been number 225 and I figured I would once again make a S-E game be the milestone, so I pushed on with it. :D 

I forgot how epic the Sephiroth appearance was. Him appearing from the heavens while One Winged Angel kicks in is glorious, as is his battle with Cloud. I beat the hell out of him due to me having the Ultima weapon and being level 100 but it was still a fun fight. :p 

Chain of Memories will be next on the list, although i'm not really looking forward to playing through that. At least with KH3 being pushed back until next year there is no immediate rush to crack on with it straight away.

• Thanks 1

My road to Kingdom Hearts 3 finally continued this week. I started playing Chain of Memories on Sunday and have just finished it. That's the first time I've actually played it all the way through and I loved it. 

When I played it back on the GBA I didnt really get to grips with the battle system but playing it now I found that it's surprisingly simple and quite broken. Certain setups make the Organization XIII bosses a piece of cake. 

The last boss took a bit of doing due to his final phase wiping your deck out. He beat me the first time so I grinded to level 80 and then went back and give him a beating. I couldnt use my usual tactics on him so I had to mix things up a bit.

Trophy wise, I played through the game on Proud difficulty to get that out of the way ( difficulty trophies actually stack on the PS4 version )  and I nabbed the trophies for not continuing and not running from battle. There's still a few cards I need to hunt down and I need to level to 99, but after that I'll start Riku's story. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I woke up nice and early this morning (5am) and cracked on with Chain of Memories. I mopped  up a few misc trophies for Sora last night and I decided to leave the level 99 one until later and start up Riku's story. Again, playing on Proud difficulty in order to stack all of the difficulty level trophies.

The battles still use cards but, unlike Sora, you can't pick and choose your deck. You get given a new one in each world and then you have to make the most out of it. It's a much more streamlined experience but I do miss being able to create some OP decks.

Riku's story is clearly shorter than the Sora side of things. I've only been on it a few hours and I'm already halfway through. I may be able to get his finished today if I push on with it.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Riku's story is complete. The bosses were a bit more of a challenge than in Sora's side of things. This is due to only being able to use certain cards and not being able to heal when you want to. Eventually I figured out it was best to just hang back and wait for the opportunity to Duel. This worked for all the human bosses and even the final boss.

Im so glad I finally got around to playing this and put aside my concerns for the combat. I finally understand why Riku and Mickey are rocking Organization jackets and how he got the darkness under control. I've always found Riku to be a better character than Sora and this game helped hammer home the point.

I've still got 2 trophies left to nab and both are for leveling both characters up to 99. Sora is only 10 levels away but Riku needs to go up another 40! It's gonna be a hell of a grind to get through that and I'll probably have to just pick away at it in bursts.

I ended up finishing off Sora's leveling this evening and got Riku up another 5 levels as well. I just listened to some Backstreet Boys and bopped away while leveling up. The time just flew by. :D 

Riku's leveling is even more of a pain than I thought. Sora could easily dispatch enemies with Mega Flare but Riku has no such move. Plus, in order to level efficiently, you need to keep an enemy alive in battle, run away and then return to battle again. This means you gotta watch what you're doing and can't just hammer away on the buttons.

I'll do another few levels in the morning. Think I'll stick on some Westlife this time. :) 

• Like 1

Ah, a good old H-o-T grinding story. Always great to read.

40 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I just listened to some Backstreet Boys

And it gets better.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, drahkon said:

Ah, a good old H-o-T grinding story. Always great to read.

I aim to please. :D 

Went up another few levels this morning. Doing this at 5am ain't a smart idea. :p 

• Haha 1

It is finally done. Platinum achieved.

7 hours! 7 extra hours of pure grinding, fighting the same enemies over and over, is what it took to get Riku up another 40 levels!

AMhRntGJm39SuUw-Z3-Hr1unHEo=.gif

I wanna punch the S-E developer in the face who thought it was a good idea to have a trophy that required you to level to 99, despite  the last boss being a push over on the hardest difficulty at level 59. Usually when they ask you to do something like this there is an optional super boss to tackle and put your new found strength to good use. That wasn't the case here. :( 

I should probably take a break....*fires up Kingdom Hearts II* :D 

I've just finished off the Roxas prologue. I know in recent times I've seen lots of people on the internet moan on about how long this section is but its only a couple of hours long. Funny, I remember it being a lot longer than that. I also remember the opening area being a lot larger than it was. It just goes to show how far games have come in terms of the size of their levels/worlds. 

Spoiler

I really feel sorry for Roxas. Dude just wanted to have his own life but was used and then tossed aside. When he finally got a bit of happiness it turned out it was all fake.

Being able play CoM and then watch the scenes from 358/2 Days before playing this has definitely been a good thing. There's so much that happens in both of those games that is relevant to the story here. 

I dug out my old Piggyback Kingdom Hearts II guide from storage. I haven't played the game since it originally was released on the PS2. The guide may come in handy if my memory needs jogging as to where to go or what to do next.

Edited by Hero-of-Time