NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
RedShell

[?] Mario Kart 8.5/Switch [?]

Figured it'd be nice to have a separate thread for this, even though it's very early days and we still don't know exactly what it'll be. :hehe:

I'm all for an enhanced version of MK8 though, especially with new characters and (hopefully) tracks! :awesome:

The move back to a dual item setup is a more complicated matter, however. I've gotten very accustomed to the way it works in MK8 now, and do like how there's less emphasis on defensive play like that.

But we shall see...

The best thing about all this, is that it gives the impression we'll be playing Mario Kart on Switch sooner rather than later, perhaps even at launch! :)

So yeah, what does everyone else think. Looking forward to more MK in the style of MK8, or would you prefer a completely new game built from scratch?

I may as well bring over my thoughts from the Switch thread :smile:

I was thinking about Mario Kart this morning. The brief clip we saw was basically Mario Kart 8 with King Boo and two items. With that in mind, I'd almost bet on it being called Mario Kart Switch with 'item-switching' being the twist this time :heh:

Would it be such a bad thing if it did bring over everything from Mario Kart 8, though? We all know it's an amazing game and there's no need to scrap all 48 of those glorious tracks when they could keep building on it :hehe:

Imagine everything from Mario Kart 8 with additional characters, 16 new tracks, 16 retro tracks, improved battle mode and the option for expanding it even further with DLC. They could even add a 'Double-Dash!!' mode or challenges : peace:

80 tracks would be ridiculous :yay:

Having Mario Kart around the launch of the system would be amazing if they keep adding content throughout the lifetime of the system :hehe:

I am sincerely hoping the dual items thing is optional. Over defensive play in Mario Kart is the killer of fun.

Although it's hard to be completely upset, King Boo with his confusing heavy weight and his non-existent feet (How do you even accelerate!?) making a much needed return has got me pretty happy.

And I'm totally OK with them building upon Mario Kart 8. And I wouldn't be averse to another Season Pass as ridiculously good value as the first.

Edited by Glen-i

My main hope for this is that they fix the Battle Mode and give us a proper one. Given the multiplayer benefits of Switch it would be big bonus for the game.

I am sincerely hoping the dual items thing is optional. Over defensive play in Mario Kart is the killer of fun.

Although it's hard to be completely upset, King Boo with his confusing heavy weight and his non-existent feet (How do you even accelerate!?) making a much needed return has got me pretty happy.

And I'm totally OK with them building upon Mario Kart 8. And I wouldn't be averse to another Season Pass as ridiculously good value as the first.

He's a ghost, he can do what he wants.

Although strange you don't question how babies with 1cm legs can drive a car...

My main hope for this is that they fix the Battle Mode and give us a proper one. Given the multiplayer benefits of Switch it would be big bonus for the game.

Oh god I forgot how awful battle mode was!

He's a ghost, he can do what he wants.

Although strange you don't question how babies with 1cm legs can drive a car...

Raised Pedals.

Raised Pedals.

Nope:

640.jpg

And yes I zoomed in using Photoshop ;)

Yeah, @Glen\-i! Babies can't drive. It's against the law!

That's Ageist! It's exactly that kind of attitude that stops everyone enjoying some good-old violence based go-karting.

Stop living in the 90's!

That's Ageist! It's exactly that kind of attitude that stops everyone enjoying some good-old violence based go-karting.

Stop living in the 90's!

But that's when there was last a good Mario Kart game.

giphy.gif

:heh:

I hope this is an enhanced version of MK8, and all signs point towards it being just that, but let's hope Nintendo isn't pulling a fast one on us by adding a few new things to an existing game and.... Tadaaaam! Brand new game! Mario Kart 9! Our kartrelated-work for this generation is done!

I'd say that they wouldn't keep the style and fonts exactly the same for a sequel, but *cough*NewSuperMarioBros*cough*

I just hope MK8.5 is A MK-Switch game, not THE MK-Switch game, however awesome MK8 is.

It would be a crime to leave this glorious game to die on the Wii U. Welcome to Switch, MK8. Take your place beside Splatoon and Smash Bros. on the shelf.

Yeah, great idea, but please add battle mode arenas, more multiplayer modes actually, ideally single player content. And a rollout of new content every 3/6 months - Mario kart as a service. Ideally, by the end. It features every track there's ever been in mario kart.

My main hope for this is that they fix the Battle mode and give us a proper one. Given the multiplayer benefits of Switch it would be big bonus for the game.
It's so weird that battle mode was so much fun on the N64 and yet never again replicated! If anything now it seems like the N64 version was a complete flute it's that baffling. Would be fantastic to see it return the way we all want it to.

With the two item pickup, I wonder if there's any chance we'll see Double Dash mode as a selectable option?... It fits in with the whole Switch thing :p

I personally wouldn't want two character karts to be the only option, but two championships would be cool.

Hmm what if the icon mechanic had a 'catch'. What if you could only for the first weapon forward and the second backwards and to fire in whatever direction you want you had to drop the other.

Just trying to think of ways to make it less.... Giving

I'd guess is anything it'd be called MarioKart 8: Switch. Keeping the tracks of old but with a new mechanic?

As long as Will Smith is DLC with a track based in and around the Bel-Air mansion, I'm in.

I would pay full price for that. Not even joking.

Then again, I'm the guy who thinks the Mercedes are brilliant, only due to their comedy value.

Screen_Shot_2016_11_05_at_11_02_37_pm.jpg

High praise given a lot of people consider MK8 the best in the series.

I hope they sort battle mode! MK64 is the best for me just for Battle Mode alone!

Battle mode is the main complaint right? vc probably was the second one? and then the online functionality seemed to be a step backwards from mk wii (though tbh mk wii is a game I have mostly forgotten now!)

I loved the snes battle tracks, but I think they worked best with snes weapon balancing. N64 tracks are fun too... so I'd like a battle mode with those tracks... and a feather item! such a clever item for opening up shortcuts, defending against shells and in battle mode abusing the game a little :P I think in the snes battle arenas there was one with areas only accessible with a feather. I recall jumping in there and harvesting the ? box till I got the right item, then hopping out :P Although back then I was good at the game, I played the vc version on wii U and I was shockingly bad - especially after playing mk8!!

I hope they sort battle mode! MK64 is the best for me just for Battle Mode alone!

We know they won't.

I gave up on battle mode after MK64.

They need to fix a lot for me to consider Mario Kart good again.

I thought MK8 was the best one since MK64. One of the few games on WiiU that made me not pack the thing away.

Sign in to follow this