NEurope
Retro_Link

Super Mario Switch

That's....a bit sexist isn't it?

Was about to post the same thing. First Mario Kart's Ageism, now this.

Seems we've switched to a less accepting mindstate.

You might say our mindset has... Switched.

I literally just made that pun! I think you need to switch your visual aids on.

I was busy switching the channel to watch Switched at Birth after having watched Will Smith sing Switch.

I may will be alone in this view, but I really hope this is a spiritual successor to Sunshine, the best 3D Mario game of all time! It certainly gives me that vibe.

Yeah... I'll get my coat.

I loved Sunshine. The movement was (shush) fluid and I loved that feeling. Level design was a mixed bag, but the way Mario moved in the environment was fantastic.

Having cleared Super Mario Sunshine again as recently as Monday, when I easily defeated Bowser (who should never be allowed to speak ever again :nono:), I would suggest that perhaps some of you guys who put it on such a high pedestal may need to revisit it!

It's a very good game, no question, but it is also highly irritating on a regular basis :heh:

Is it irritating on the level of those trash burning missions in Galaxy 2? Those were infuriating.

Is it irritating on the level of those trash burning missions in Galaxy 2? Those were infuriating.

Every mission in Sunshine is like burning the trash in Galaxy! I'm only slightly exaggerating :heh:

I just watched the Gamexplain analysis of the footage and it suddenly got me excited for this :yay:

It obviously doesn't reveal much but it's great to see things pointed out that you may not notice or even have considered. I can't wait for my next 3D Mario adventure :yay:

They didn't mention the icicles on the wires, which is strange considering how overboard they go :p

My concern about the brief footage is that I can envisage that level being linear - albeit you can go to the sides for slightly different routes. Nothing yet says open exploration.

You do realise the game shows you exactly where to throw the bombs, right?

You do realise the game shows you exactly where to throw the bombs, right?

You do realise constantly having to flick your wrist is incredibly irritating right?

I enjoyed how Super Mario Sunshine played and controlled. Super responsive, fun platforming, fun extra moves (still love the watery slide you can do), love the FLUDD nozzles, and the missions were challenging and varied enough. I admit that some levels had difficulty spikes (hello, Manta Ray), some levels were plain annoying (hello, Yoshi's watermelon), and some were even both (yes, Sand Bird, I'm looking at you), but that's nothing to do with the engine itself (neither were Sunshine's other flaws).

I enjoyed how Super Mario Sunshine played and controlled. Super responsive, fun platforming, fun extra moves (still love the watery slide you can do), love the FLUDD nozzles, and the missions were challenging and varied enough. I admit that some levels had difficulty spikes (hello, Manta Ray), some levels were plain annoying (hello, Yoshi's watermelon), and some were even both (yes, Sand Bird, I'm looking at you), but that's nothing to do with the engine itself (neither were Sunshine's other flaws).

Yeah the game was super fluid to play and Mario has never felt better to control. The game certainly had level design issues but I enjoyed Sunshine a lot. Would love to see it on the Switch VC.

The controls were so, so good. I literally spent hours running round the plaza jumping, wall kicking and sliding for no other reason than it felt amazing. Loved spraying water into the path ahead and then trying to slide for as long as possible. I agree that some of the level design wasn't spectacular but the overall package was great, especially the music.

If they took that engine as a base for the next game I would be immensely pleased.

Nintendo-Switch-Reveal-11-1280x720.jpg

Screen_20Shot_202016-10-20_20at_209.21.47_20AM_20_2_.0.png

Speculate...

Probably nothing, but has anyone else noticed the red at the top of the docked screen on both images?

Solid red on the top image and two bars on the lower image.

Maybe some kind of radar?

Or is it just a reflection of the curtains?

Probably nothing, but has anyone else noticed the red at the top of the docked screen on both images?

Definitely the reflection of the curtains

Definitely the reflection of the curtains

Good, I was hoping for no more dual screen nonsense.

And on that note, I'm off to play the Pokemon demo on my 3DS ;)

Don't think it's a reflection.

My speculation is that it's going to be used for non-gaming related stuff. How much of the battery is charged, progress on downloads in the background, Nintendo news, messages from friends, acheivements unlocked etc.

I just noticed that Mario gains some speed after his long jump. Even in Galaxy he lost his momentum after a long jump.

I'm getting excited now. Like with the N64 and Gamecube, Nintendo will be innovating through design and I hope this leads us to seeing an athletic Mario once again.

Well spotted!

I'd say it's definitely a reflection. The same colour as the drapes would be a mighty coincidence, and you can even see the same kind of colour reflected in the TV too. Moreso, on close inspection you can even see the curves in the drapes reflected on the Switch-screen.

If it was truely a feature that they slipped in the trailer, they would have made a bigger fuzz about it, or not show it at all until further notice.

I may will be alone in this view, but I really hope this is a spiritual successor to Sunshine, the best 3D Mario game of all time! It certainly gives me that vibe.

Yeah... I'll get my coat.

Nothing wrong with Sunshine, mate. Nothing wrong at all.

Bar Bowser's voice. Not the smartest of moves, that one. ;)

It was a move away from 64, and while it feels more unforgiving and stiff today (recently started playing again), it definitely has it's merits and charme.

It's definitely a reflection. None of the footage in the trailer was actually running on the TV or the Switch screen itself, it was added in post production. You can see it when she moves Mario from the TV to the Switch screen, the image on the screen overlaps with her sleeve so it was clearly added afterwards.

I think they will use the top portion of the screen for notifications and the like though, it was just important for them to only focus on the main selling point of the system in this trailer.