NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
somme

Playstation VR Worlds

psvr-worlds-listing-thumb-01-ps4-eu-14mar16?$Icon$

Couldn't see another thread for this and thought now PSVR was actually out we needn't lump everything in the VR thread.

Anyways. My copy of this and the VR headset arrived this morning.

Ocean Descent

Tried out the shark game, was pretty impressed. The shark attacking made me flinch and squeal! It was a really good introduction to VR but not something you'd go back to very often.

The London Heist

This was something I didn't expect to like that much. Not really into gangster/mafia stuff. However, I bloody loved it. It really showcases the kind of gaming and storytelling VR can do, and this is just the beginning!

The main "side-kick" is very London, very butch, just what you'd expect. If there were a normal game I would be bored by the cliché of it all but you're living it!

Even though the dialogue was tired I didn't mind and I actually cared for this other character. It's hard to explain really!

Luge

This one's alright. You're basically going down a busy mountain road at 90mph whilst on your back. Nothing too special.

EDIT: I just remembered that I did actually think it was pretty cool. But I played London Heist afterwards, and it was so good I had to race on here to say how much I enjoyed it!

Scavenger's Odyssey

A sci-fi shooter! Sci-fi is where I really think the game will take off but perhaps not like this. I would probably enjoy it if it didn't make me feel sick. This is the first game that's done it (not tried a whole lot yet) and hope it's not a common occurrence!

Danger Ball

This is basically VR pong - sounds dull but it's quite addictive. You use your head to flip/hit the ball back at the opponent. Feels like a futuristic sport!

Edited by somme

Yeah, got all my stuff and games, haven't tried it out yet though thanks to work and a friend coming over! Hopefully this evening, definitely the weekend, can't wait!!

I have Thumper, rez, tomb raider, until dawn, worlds and downloaded all the free stuff from the store.

Tempted by batman, the bomb disposal game, rigs and anything well reviewed!!

Yeah, got all my stuff and games, haven't tried it out yet though thanks to work and a friend coming over! Hopefully this evening, definitely the weekend, can't wait!!

I have Thumper, rez, tomb raider, until dawn, worlds and downloaded all the free stuff from the store.

Tempted by batman, the bomb disposal game, rigs and anything well reviewed!!

Is the Battlefront stuff not ready yet?

Is the Battlefront stuff not ready yet?

Nope :( Don't think there's a date yet, hopefully soon!

Nope :( Don't think there's a date yet, hopefully soon!

The "date" at the moment is "holiday season" so I imagine it'll be out for Rogue One.

VR Worlds is definitely the WiiSports of PSVR, it's a nice showcase of future games and for my first time in VR it was amazing. It'll be nice to play these again every so often, and use them to introduce others to VR.

VR Worlds is definitely the WiiSports of PSVR, it's a nice showcase of future games and for my first time in VR it was amazing. It'll be nice to play these again every so often, and use them to introduce others to VR.

Now I can only speak from limited experience, reviews and what others are saying, but VR Worlds sounds like it's in no way of the same quality or addictive-ness as WiiSports. Neat little experiences for sure, the London Heist one especially, but they're basically pick up, play once, forget. I played the Ocean Descent and the Heist one at EGX, both were pretty cool, but I would never go back to either after a first playthrough. And those are apparently the two best games! I do think they're a good intro to VR though, and should have been packaged for free with the unit.

He did say "a nice showcase of future games" which is very Wii Sports-ey. And his "It'll be nice to play these again every so often, and use them to introduce others to VR" basically describes my relationship with Wii Sports. Something to dabble at now and then, but especially useful to showcase to new people. That's usually when I played Wii Sports; when someone hadn't played before. Maybe the individual games aren't quite as good as Bowling and Tennis, but conceptually the packages are similar.

Do we know if more games will be added as DLC? Not been keeping up to date with it.

Edited by Ashley

but they're basically pick up, play once, forget.

Some would describe WiiSports the same way.

Some would describe WiiSports the same way.

The difference is WiiSports was actually fun; it was the killer app that took the world by storm and sold the concept perfectly. VR Worlds is a mishmash of forgettable experiences. The fact people are being charged £30+ for what is basically a tech demo is pretty ridiculous too.

When VR finally gets a killer app, like a Mario 64 or Wii Sports etc that sells the concept I'll dive right in, but whilst the tech is incredible, so far the software is just too experimental and forgettable for me to pick one up.

The difference is WiiSports was actually fun; it was the killer app that took the world by storm and sold the concept perfectly. VR Worlds is a mishmash of forgettable experiences. The fact people are being charged £30+ for what is basically a tech demo is pretty ridiculous too.

When VR finally gets a killer app, like a Mario 64 or Wii Sports etc that sells the concept I'll dive right in, but whilst the tech is incredible, so far the software is just too experimental and forgettable for me to pick one up.

Genuine question as I can't find an answer, how much was Wii Sports in Japan?

You wanted a killer app, there is a killer app.

How much talk it will have in 20 years has no bearing whatsoever on this.

You wanted a killer app, there is a killer app.

How much talk it will have in 20 years has no bearing whatsoever on this.

To be fair the original Rez is a very well thought of 15 year old game anyway.

Do you think people will be talking about Rez Infinite in twenty years time the way they talk about Mario 64 and Wii Sports now?

Nobody talks about Wii Sports now.

Nobody talks about Wii Sports now.

It has its place in history as a game changer. Sure no one plays it anymore, ten years on, but no one plays Mario 64 and no on doubts how much of a big deal that was.

You normally cite Gaf to backup your opinions. Well Gaf loves PSVR.

Edited by somme

It has its place in history as a game changer. Sure no one plays it anymore, ten years on, but no one plays Mario 64 and no on doubts how much of a big deal that was.

How has Wii Sports 'changed the game'? Same question to something like Kinect. They are dead and gone, vanished as fads do. A game changer is something that has a profound and lasting impact and redefines how games play out. I would say Mario 64 did that for 3D games, and for all we know Rez could do this for VR, if VR continues to grow and improve.

?!?!?!???!?!

Do you think people will be talking about Rez Infinite in twenty years time the way they talk about Mario 64 and Wii Sports now?

?!?!?!???!?!

It's close enough! Rez is actually 15 years old, soooooo... yes?

Genuine question as I can't find an answer, how much was Wii Sports in Japan?

Pretty sure it was a full price release.

Edited by Dcubed

Worlds is not in the same league as Wii Sports, but it's pretty much identical in concept - 5 games to introduce the various things VR can do.

Had a dabble with PSVR, at first it was a little disappointing - it was much lower res than I expected, it's pretty annoying with glasses, and there's a fuzz which floats in front of your eyes, smearing everything; but it didn't take long to get past all that.

Ocean Descent is good fun, didn't realise there was more than one dive. I was surprised at Scavangers Odyssy, didn't even know it was on there to be honest. It was good fun and felt great to look where you want to shoot; made me think a game like this could really work, but this game in particular is pretty bad - the graphics are appalling, but the biggest crime is that it auto aims too... so the look to shoot, which feels amazing, is borderline pointless because it'll fire wherever anyway.... It also made me feel a bit queasy...

Looking forward to playing actual games tonight like Rez and Thumper!!

There's a demo thing at King's Cross today and tomorrow if anyone wants to try it out.

Shame it's not sticking around until Monday. I work near there and would have gone afterwards but am under the weather this weekend. Oh well.

There's a demo thing at King's Cross today and tomorrow if anyone wants to try it out.

Shame it's not sticking around until Monday. I work near there and would have gone afterwards but am under the weather this weekend. Oh well.

Yep, it's been there the past few days. I was tempted to queue as the queue wasn't massive, but I passed on it (it was getting a bit late, plus tired).

When my nephew/partner and mates were all round we got them playing The Heist and during the van level, when the window gets punched out I turned on a fan and pointed at whoever was playing.

My partner was like, "I CAN FEEL THE WIND!!!"

Amazing moment. Luckily I have a very vivid imagination/brain and I kinda felt it anyway, even when playing alone and having no fan on. There may have been a draught I just suddenly started paying attention to.

Same thing happened in The Assembly when I went through a decontamination chamber and was smoked. I could ever-so-slightly smell and feel it. Bizarre but cool.

Sign in to follow this