NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Falcon_BlizZACK

Pro Evolution Soccer 2017

Looking to buy this on Steam for my glorius new Surface Pro i7 - played the demo and its as tight as I remember PES to be (prob haven't played since 2002 circa) - apart from complaints about dumbed down graphics - anyone got this and care to share opinions?

Is the Master League still in and as robust as previous editions?

No, don't think I've played a Pro Evo game since 4 or 5. I just remembered seeing that article when you made this thread.

I've never played a Pro Evo on PC but I will say that the 'last-gen' PS3 version is excellent and I prefer it to what I've played of the same game on PS4 :smile:

Ahh ef it, just bought it and downloading now. ^^

Man I have to say I LOVE Steam... Never been a true PC gamer but now I have a noteworthy one its just opening the doors to the Playstation stuff Ive missed over the past two gens or so.

(Could a MOD please add 'Soccer' to the title pleeease)

Edited by King_V

Yeah the actual playing football bit of the game is excellent. The presentation/menus/graphics can't touch FIFA (and these are important to an extent) but it doesn't matter. I've switched over to PES this year and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm playing on the PS4 mind you, heard the PC version wasn't worth getting with all of it's compromises. Apparently it resembles something of a mid point between the PS3/4 releases.

Yeah the actual playing football bit of the game is excellent. The presentation/menus/graphics can't touch FIFA (and these are important to an extent) but it doesn't matter. I've switched over to PES this year and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm playing on the PS4 mind you, heard the PC version wasn't worth getting with all of it's compromises. Apparently it resembles something of a mid point between the PS3/4 releases.

Were there more differences between PS4 and PC?

I can see there is no major graphical boost from the 2016 demo, but the gameplay is nice and tight with all the control you could ever wish for in a football game.

Just downloading this now onto my PS4. Looking forward to trying it out ASAP.

Any of you lot using option files? Need to look into them......

Just downloading this now onto my PS4. Looking forward to trying it out ASAP.

Any of you lot using option files? Need to look into them......

If you get some option files sorted out, can you link me to them? :smile:

I played this with my brother last night for the first time and I didn't rip him apart like I have done the last couple of seasons!

If you get some option files sorted out, can you link me to them? :smile:

I played this with my brother last night for the first time and I didn't rip him apart like I have done the last couple of seasons!

Yeah sure thing. I'm looking into this one here: http://www.pesuniverse.com/ps4-option-file-v1-free/

Need to try it out but I'm Netflixing at the mo :D

I've downloaded the demo for Pro Evo 2017 and it's not really done enough to convince me to buy it. I hear that the tactic options are very good, so the first thing I did when setting up a game between Atletico and Barcelona was to go into the Game Plan menu. The demo doesn't let you change formations, so...that's great. There's this lovely looking option for fluid formation which changes your formation when you have the ball and when you are without it, e.g. 4-3-3 with the ball, 4-5-1 without. Completely pointless when you're locked out of changing formations in the demo so can't see for yourself how this affects gameplay. My eyes lit up when I saw that option because I've wanted something like that for years! Pissed off at that.

You can't adjust players positioning in the demo, so you can't move Koke further forward on the left side or bring him slightly infield from the Game Plan menu. So, I feel that I can't really see what's possible from the demo.

The gameplay is nice and fluid, much more so than Fifa 16's slow gameplay. 15 had it right, but 16 was a backwards step and I hear that 17 is more of the same. Downloading the demo now to see.

PES again feels minimalist. If you do want that full Premier League experience, you won't get it here. No commentary on the PES demo is weird and it does pull you out of the atmosphere slightly.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

If you do want that full Premier League experience, you won't get it here..

I have to admit that I was almost seduced by the presentation in FIFA 17 throughout videos I watched whilst considering the recent PS4 deals but I knew the gameplay probably wouldn't be as enjoyable as PES 16 has been for me on PS3. 'The Journey' could be fun, though, and presumably a lot better than the 'Career' mode in ISS 2000 for N64 :grin:

I have to admit that I was almost seduced by the presentation in FIFA 17 throughout videos I watched whilst considering the recent PS4 deals but I knew the gameplay probably wouldn't be as enjoyable as PES 16 has been for me on PS3. 'The Journey' could be fun, though, and presumably a lot better than the 'Career' mode in ISS 2000 for N64 :grin:

I've downloaded the demo for FIFA17 and then switched back and forth between that and PES. Imo, FIFA is light years ahead in presentation, at least as far as the demo goes.

There was no menu music when booting up PES and no commentary. The crowd noises sound very stock-like. It was all a complete contrast with FIFA and as much stick as EA get for rehashing the same stuff over and over, the changes they've made to penalties and corners are good changes, imo. You can't argue that they haven't made an appealable product as the whole look is fantastic. PES graphically looks outdated, imo. Even the menus and sounds seem very simplistic. Almost last-gen.

I haven't seen anything with the gameplay that suggests to me that PES is the better game. Like I mentioned earlier, the interesting features that I wanted to see are locked out of the demo, so...It's not an amazing first impression.

I'll probably get neither this year, but FIFA would be the one I'd jump into based on what I've seen of both. Hands down. It's just a better package.

FIFA is light years ahead in presentation, at least as far as the demo goes..

There was no menu music when booting up PES and no commentary. The crowd noises sound very stock-like. It was all a complete contrast with FIFA and as much stick as EA get for rehashing the same stuff over and over, the changes they've made to penalties and corners are good changes, imo. You can't argue that they haven't made an appealable product as the whole look is fantastic. PES graphically looks outdated, imo. Even the menus and sounds seem very simplistic. Almost last-gen.

I may not have played FIFA 17 but I certainly can't argue with any of that. My issue has always been with the gameplay and I maintain that it hasn't been good for years. Having said that, I can understand that if you're used to it then Pro Evolution Soccer may feel strange and the lack of gloss in the presentation almost certainly won't encourage you to get into it in order to appreciate it more.

The best scenario for me would be for both games to be combined in order to provide the ultimate football experience. Ah well..

The presentation in PES 17 is very very slick, the HD background pics are just :heart: - Just getting into the Master League and man is it slick and addictive as ever!

The presentation in PES 17 is very very slick, the HD background pics are just :heart: - Just getting into the Master League and man is it slick and addictive as ever!

I haven't really enjoyed a Master League since the simplicity of the one found in ISS Pro Evolution 2. It was fun being able to purchase whichever players you wanted, providing you had the required funds, without having to worry about putting in bids and whatever else.

It was glorious :love:

It was all a complete contrast with FIFA and as much stick as EA get for rehashing the same stuff over and over, the changes they've made to penalties and corners are good changes, imo.

You're kidding surely?! The penalty system is awful IMO. It was perfectly fine before, I don't understand why they changed it....

Took the plunge on PC as it was only £15 on steam (can still pay for things in rubles with my old Russian mastercard, yay!). It has been years since I played this and I have never loved FIFA. I couldn't care less about the graphics despite them getting slated in the steam reviews. If this plays well, then I can see many sessions lasting until 3 or 4am on the master league :D

Can anyone also recommend a good site for option files? Love having all the offical kits and players ;)

Had a quick go last night, played an 'International Cup' - those naming rights :D Must say I'm very impressed, love the way this plays. I haven't dove too deeply into the tactics or anything, but last night reminded me why PES > FIFA every day of the week.

I had Australia, USA and Iceland (oh god) in my group playing as England. I was one up against Australia at half time and dominating them on the wings. They rallied mid-way throught the second half and I couldn't get into the final third. They ended up winning 2-1. I demolished the US in the second game 4-0 by changing up my system from wingers with pace to a more technical, patient approach using passing and finding space. Switched out Dele Alli, Stirling and Lallana for Rooney, Milner and Wilshire. The third game was a cracker, I opted for the same system I'd used against the USA. Iceland hit me with a ball over the top in the 5th minute and then I went all out attack for the rest of the game, but they kept closing me down and I couldn't find any space. They put everyone behind the ball playing counter-attack and their keeper was on fire (guess they finally improved them!). I ended up scoring around the 70th minute with a header from a cross after making 3 subs at half time and then it was completely end-to-end for the final 20 mins. Defenders on both sides all over the place. It finished 1-1 and I went out of the tournament.

3 completely different games, a variety of goals scored - headers, shooting from distance, free-kicks, through balls. This is why I love PES over FIFA, because no two games are the same. There is no tried and tested method of scoring a goal, it's about sizing up your opponent and playing to your strengths and their weaknesses.

Now I haven't played FIFA since 2015, but as I remember, the series had barely changed from the PS2 days, if we speak exclusively about the techinal side of simulating a game of football, the physics. Sure it's got the bells and whistles and the presentation really is out of this world, but as a pure football simulator it pales in comparison to PES. The majority of goals tended, at least for me, to come from one-on-one situations with the keeper and it was always a chore to take people on, rarely coming off. Now I may be wrong, seeing as how I haven't played for a couple of years, but the king of football games is definitely PES in my opinion. Feels just as good as it did in the PS2 days, if not better.

Took the plunge on PC as it was only £15 on steam (can still pay for things in rubles with my old Russian mastercard, yay!). It has been years since I played this and I have never loved FIFA. I couldn't care less about the graphics despite them getting slated in the steam reviews. If this plays well, then I can see many sessions lasting until 3 or 4am on the master league :D

Can anyone also recommend a good site for option files? Love having all the offical kits and players ;)

Whooo-hoo, glad to see you're enjoying it. But how did you get 2017 for £15? (or did you get 2016?).

It really is like the old days for me Pro Evo > Fifa.

Whooo-hoo, glad to see you're enjoying it. But how did you get 2017 for £15? (or did you get 2016?).

It really is like the old days for me Pro Evo > Fifa.

Because I have a Russian bank card from when I lived there, prices in roubles are generally half the price of those in Pounds or Euros.

It's great to see some love for Pro Evo, like the old days :love:

As expected, though, FIFA is apparently killing it at retail and I fear we may get to the stage where Konami no longer create football games. We'll all be stuck with FIFA :blank:

As expected, though, FIFA is apparently killing it at retail and I fear we may get to the stage where Konami no longer create football games. We'll all be stuck with FIFA :blank:

As it should be. It's selling 40 times more than PES, with FIFA doing 1.1 million in its first week yet PES can't reach 50k. PES is also selling worse year over year, whereas FIFA seems to be going from strength to strength.

I doubt FIFA will ever fall from grace now that Ultimate Team is a thing. While I don't care for it personally, the thing is a stroke of genius and the masses love it. It's a HUGE money maker for EA.

Even if PES was the better game, Konami can go to hell for their shoddy treatment of Kojima and all the staff of Konami in general. They ain't getting any of my hard earned cash.

Even if PES was the better game, Konami can go to hell for their shoddy treatment of Kojima and all the staff of Konami in general. They ain't getting any of my hard earned cash.

Pretty sure most agree with this sentiment, I can't see Pro Evo lasting in the long term.

Sign in to follow this