NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario Run (iOS/Android)

It's available to download now.

I almost feel like it's too late :hmm:

I was all for it in December but the Switch is here now and it's been an expensive month..

This really shouldn't have been a timed exclusive on iOS. I did download it last night, bought the full version outright. Feels like a Super Mario Bros game, which is what it should do. All good so far.

Played through the first world and really enjoying it so far but I think I'll hold off on buying the rest until

I'm done with Zelda so will probably dive into it properly next week. The difference in amount of control you have over Mario will definitely take some getting used to but it feels fun and well suited to mobile.

Edited by killthenet

Still not available in my region.... Damn.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L21 using Tapatalk

An article in Nikkei comments on the sales of Super Mario Run and how Nintendo are going to operate in the mobile space going forward.

Super Mario Run enjoyed a strong start in the App Store, topping download charts in several countries. Yet it was less of a moneymaker for Nintendo than might have been expected, due to the pay-once-and-play model. Revenue from the game "did not meet our expectations," Nintendo President Tatsumi Kimishima said.

Nintendo's smartphone cash cow is instead "Fire Emblem Heroes." "Heroes" is a "freemium" game that lets players pay to unlock random characters -- a format known in Japan as gacha. The smartphone game market is fiercely competitive, and even the use of popular characters does not guarantee success. Yet "Fire Emblem Heroes," an entry in the popular "Fire Emblem" series of strategy role-playing games, led sales rankings from its debut, underscoring the power of Nintendo's library of intellectual property.

Even so, Nintendo has no intention of switching focus to freemium games. "'Heroes' is an outlier," a senior company official said. "We honestly prefer the 'Super Mario Run' model."

Nintendo aims to do more with its smartphone games than make money. The Japanese company seeks to bring its games and characters to a wider audience and create synergy with game consoles such as the new Switch.

The problems with the gacha model, such as the large amounts of money often required for success, risk undermining the value of Nintendo's characters, which in turn could dent the company's bread-and-butter console-game business. Nintendo's apparent goal with smartphone games is to attract more users even if the company loses out on some profits in the process.

Super Mario Run's true value will be measured by how much it expands the ranks of Nintendo fans and helps sales of the Switch.

Fire Emblem Heroes just shows the kinda game you have to release to please the mobile audience. It will be interesting to see how the release of Animal Crossing on mobiles will play out. Surely that game is made for some kind of F2P setup rather than the Super Mario Run setup, right?

An article in Nikkei comments on the sales of Super Mario Run and how Nintendo are going to operate in the mobile space going forward.

Fire Emblem Heroes just shows the kinda game you have to release to please the mobile audience. It will be interesting to see how the release of Animal Crossing on mobiles will play out. Surely that game is made for some kind of F2P setup rather than the Super Mario Run setup, right?

Have they announced an AC game? That sounds awesome.

I tried FE and Super Mario Run, and wasn't really taken with either, but an AC game could float my boat very well indeed.

Have they announced an AC game? That sounds awesome.

I tried FE and Super Mario Run, and wasn't really taken with either, but an AC game could float my boat very well indeed.

Yeah, I think it was supposed to be out by now but it got delayed.

It will be interesting to see how the release of Animal Crossing on mobiles will play out. Surely that game is made for some kind of F2P setup rather than the Super Mario Run setup, right?

Nintendo is sitting on a gold mine with this. Make the app itself free and have people pay for ingame stuff.

I've tried Super Mario Run and I don't like it. It's just not for me ::shrug:

Downloaded and tried this a bit on Friday. I was initially hit with some connection and linking issues repeatedly(despite being on good home wifi) which initially put me off a bit at first; but they seem to have cleared up now.

Done all the basic coin challenges on the free levels, and some of the purple coin challenges. I can see the potential depth to the game but I do think it's still priced a bit too high - £5-£8 would have been a better PRICE POINT for it imo, and brought in better revenues. At the moment I'm debating making the full purchase as it's only a couple of pints really, but on principle I'm not feeling too keen. I think about paying £10 for this; or paying £12 for Stardew Valley - and I feel like the latter is going to offer me far more value that I wouldn't get this for £10. Having said that - the draw of Mario and a novel new control scheme for him(for me) is tempting, and it does have that edge of Nintendo quality feel to it.

Gameplay wise I've been enjoying the small bits I've played - I enjoy the multiple coin challenges for each of the levels and the potential of varying characters. I've enjoyed Toad Rally more probably - and that's also what's tempting me to unlock the full game so I can move on to the other extras of characters and toads and stuffs etcetc.

I've think I've decided I'm going to try and stick it out on the free mode until I do at least all of the purple coin challenges and maybe 2 of the black coin challenges; if I've managed to let it keep my interest to that point then I reckon I'd be good enough to drop the dime on it.

£5-£8 would have been a better PRICE POINT for it imo, l

giphy.gif

World 2-1 is a dreadful level for Toad Rally, I don't understand why it's accessible in that mode. Worst of all it seems to keep cropping up for me, will definitely be trying to avoid it from now on. Enjoying the game in general though.

Tried it, not really a fan.

It's just automated runners get boring to me extremely quickly.

I'm pretty sure I transcended to a higher plane of existence after a perfect black coin run on 3-3. That's what it feels like, at least.

Well after a few days of it I apparently zen'd the fuck out yesterday and did 1 purple coin challenge and the 3 remaining black coin challenges I had for the first 4 levels/free side of the game.

With nothing but Toad Rally to sustain me I am tempted - but I'm sometimes still getting connection issues when trying to start it up, which is annoying, and puts me off paying much money for something that could, at any time, decide not to be working.

I think it's been fun, and it'll be fun to have on my phone too, but I'm gonna continue holding off for now. Might do a bit of daily toad rally - if I find myself still thinking about the game in a week or so I might just go for the purchase. Can't believe I have less trouble spending money on OW loot boxes than I do on this -.-

I do wonder as well if they could have gone for the incremental freemium mode - aim to make the same £10 per app but make each world cost like...maybe £1.50 to unlock? With 7 world that's gonna clock in at £10.50 - but I think the model may have leant itself to getting more out of more people.

I need help here, please.

Because the game isn't out in my region, I've downloaded it via an apk file. The game runs fine, so is it safe to purchase the game from there and connect it to my nintendo account, or would it be a problem?

It's a free apk right, as long as you didn't get some dodgy modified version, if the IAP purchase is available for you, I don't see how it could matter. If the IAP works, you're golden.

Presumably he's worried about his Nintendo account getting locked or something because of it being linked to a non official apk?

I have no idea, but also quick Google should tell you if anyone else has tried it and experienced problems.

Yeah, that's what I am worried about. I was on my phone last night, so I have hoped that one of you guys know the answer.

I am going to google now if somebody has tried it.

EDIT: I've managed to buy it and connect to my acoount.

Getting tempted by this dammit! The events/golden goombas and the general nature of the game seems to have my intrigued - so I think I'm gonna buy it by the end of today! Got lots of work to do so don't wanna do it quite yet, but I can see myself dropping something on it by the end of the weekend lol.

@Kounan as far as I understand, if it's just a legit mirror of the original APK, you shouldn't have any issues. With my older phone I had to get a Pokemon Go mirror cos the store said it didn't support my device - but I didn't find myself having any issues with it bar the fact my phone sucked :p Ofc I wasn't paying any money for that but I'd say you should be fine.

EDIT: Woops just seen you bought it - how are you finding the extra content? Maybe I will buy it now...GOD DAMN YOU NINTENDO

I am not playing a lot, but I play when ever I can, I think that's how 2D platformer should look on a phone. But it is a mobile game so expect a mobile game.

It has it's issues, but I knew about them before I've got it.

I still have no friends, so I have to add some.

I am not playing a lot, but I play when ever I can, I think that's how 2D platformer should look on a phone. But it is a mobile game so expect a mobile game.

It has it's issues, but I knew about them before I've got it.

I still have no friends, so I have to add some.

So I totes just bought it so if you need a friend then feel free to add me! Didn't realise this was a bit friend codey but apparently my player ID is 4971-5213-0702.

So I totes just bought it so if you need a friend then feel free to add me! Didn't realise this was a bit friend codey but apparently my player ID is 4971-5213-0702.

THX, I've added you.

My ID 8370-4762-307, so if someone wants to add me.