NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario Run (iOS/Android)

Unlocked Daisy yesterday, her double jump is so overpowered on some of the tour stages and Toad rally! :laughing: Unfortunately it's not much help when trying to complete a certain challenge to unlock one of the levels on Star World, that challenge being "collect 400 coins on 1-2". Looks like Toad is the only option for that, but it's seriously tough! My best is currently 372.

Definitely going to keep trying though as I really want to complete Star World. It looks like there's actually a reward for getting all of the extra coins this time around too, as there's golden warp pipe in the shop for 45 black coins which apparently leads to another special course. :cheeky:

Anyway, this latest update certainly adds a lot of extra playtime to the game. Anyone picking it up now at half price is nabbing a right bargain. :cool:

I picked it up this weekend and am enjoying it thoroughly. It's a much better price for the game. I have all black coins in the first three worlds now and I'm finding the difficulty to be pleasing.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I picked it up this weekend and am enjoying it thoroughly. It's a much better price for the game. I have all black coins in the first three worlds now and I'm finding the difficulty to be pleasing.

You ain't seen nothing yet. :cheeky: Trust me, the black coins get brutal.

Collecting all the coins make the game well worth even its original price IMO. I've gotten many hours of gameplay from SMR (more than some of the console Mario titles!) but it's down to going for that extra stuff, playing through the game only once and that's it would make for a pretty forgettable experience really.

BTW, here's my Player ID if any new players want to add me:

sO10WRD.jpg

:peace:

5 minutes ago, RedShell said:

You ain't seen nothing yet. :cheeky: Trust me, the black coins get brutal.

Collecting all the coins make the game well worth even its original price IMO. I've gotten many hours of gameplay from SMR (more than some of the console Mario titles!) but it's down to going for that extra stuff, playing through the game only once and that's it would make for a pretty forgettable experience really.

BTW, here's my Player ID if any new players want to add me:

sO10WRD.jpg

:peace:

Hah, yeah. I expect them to be really hard - some of the levels haven't been easy and I always rest my thumb on the "Restart levle"-button. Some of them I've had to look up on Youtube just to get the idea of how to get them - and then getting them is still hard! But it's good fun, I enjoy it most of the time.

My player-ID is 2759-7964-7387 (JakobRF).

Finally made it! After a couple more 399 runs. :angry: Managed to collect 403 in the end.

Now to complete Star World! :bouncy:

Will most likely get this next week before the discount ends.

Currently have 1.41€ credit from the Google Rewards app. I'm hoping to get a couple more cents until the 12th :D

Free to play games and the race to the bottom price-wise has a lot to answer for.

A fiver, about the price of lunch, is a great price for a great mobile game.

Edited by Ronnie

Switched to android earlier this year and lost my iPhone version, had some play store credit so got it in the sale; it's saved all my details like coins, toad rally bits etc, very impressed, and it looks great on Pixel XL too 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Switched to android earlier this year and lost my iPhone version, had some play store credit so got it in the sale; it's saved all my details like coins, toad rally bits etc, very impressed, and it looks great on Pixel XL too 😀

Nice.

It’s both hilarious and depressing that save data is more secure/transferable with Nintendo’s mobile games than on Switch. :heh: But yeah, cloud backup via my Nintendo is great. Used it several times with Miitomo and Fire Emblem too. :cool:

• Like 2

Decided to purchase Super Mario Run before I forget and miss the deal!

I probably won't play it much until I replace my phone in the near future.. but I'm ready :grin:

Completed Star World last night. Wasn’t too tricky apart from the black coins on the 8th stage, which took quite a few attempts. :hehe:

The gold pipe Special Course wasn’t what I was expecting, thought it was going to be an insanely tough stage like the black warp pipe, but it’s actually...

Spoiler

...quite straight forward in comparison. It ends with the classic “THANK YOU” message written in coins, which gives the impression that this will be the last additional course.

Even if they don’t add anymore content in the future, Super Mario Run has been a fantastic and substantial game. Not sure of my exact playtime, but reckon it’s over 30 hours, which is way more than I was expecting to get out of it. I’ll still be playing the odd game of Toad Rally and Remix 10 from now on too. :grin:

• Like 1

Sooooo, apparently I bought it this morning while drunk on my way home. :laughing: At least I still got it for the discounted price.

My Player ID is 7200-2465-4006

Add me if you want. :D Do I manually have to add you back?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Sooooo, apparently I bought it this morning while drunk on my way home. :laughing: At least I still got it for the discounted price.

My Player ID is 7200-2465-4006

Add me if you want. :D Do I manually have to add you back?

No, just accept the invite. 

• Thanks 1

Finished all the normal levels.

I'm happy that I only paid 3.50€ for it. Quite frankly, I wouldn't mind if I hadn't bought it.

It's a mobile game, so I don't know what I expected but it's become so boring. After I've finished all the levels it's basically:

• playing them again and collect the coloured coins (even though the black coins appear to sometimes change the level layout a bit),
  • repeating the Toad Rally over and over again to unlock characters
  • Remix doesn't really add much, especially because it's basically repeating shorter levels

And something that annoys the fuck out of me: Those coloured coins...sometimes you just can't get them in one go because you don't have enough time to plan your route. Sometimes you just have to be lucky and choose the right path...if you didn't, tough luck: Use a bubble. And in some levels, if you're unlucky, you run out of bubbles after 3 coins and if you miss one of the remaining two you have to start over. I absolutely hate this mechanic. Having to memorize a level in order to finish it (like it happens in Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze a lot) or to collect everything isn't something that adds difficulty. It's stupid.

Not sure if I keep going. I'm interested in the Rayman mobile games to see if I enjoy them more, but I'm waiting for a sale. Not going to spend 3 bucks again if there is a high probability that I won't like the game.

Edited by drahkon
  • Sad 1

Always amazes me that people can spend hundreds on a new phone, the new iPhone is £600-700, yet refuse to pay a few quid, the price of a pint at the pub, on something fun that'll provide a few hours entertainment.

Repeating the levels to get the coins isn't supposed to be a chore, it's supposed to be fun. And it certainly was, at least to me.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, drahkon said:

Finished all the normal levels.

I'm happy that I only paid 3.50€ for it. Quite frankly, I wouldn't mind if I hadn't bought it.

It's a mobile game, so I don't know what I expected but it's become so boring. After I've finished all the levels it's basically:

• playing them again and collect the coloured coins (even though the black coins appear to sometimes change the level layout a bit),
  • repeating the Toad Rally over and over again to unlock characters
  • Remix doesn't really add much, especially because it's basically repeating shorter levels

And something that annoys the fuck out of me: Those coloured coins...sometimes you just can't get them in one go because you don't have enough time to plan your route. Sometimes you just have to be lucky and choose the right path...if you didn't, tough luck: Use a bubble. And in some levels, if you're unlucky, you run out of bubbles after 3 coins and if you miss one of the remaining two you have to start over. I absolutely hate this mechanic. Having to memorize a level in order to finish it (like it happens in Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze a lot) or to collect everything isn't something that adds difficulty. It's stupid.

Not sure if I keep going. I'm interested in the Rayman mobile games to see if I enjoy them more, but I'm waiting for a sale. Not going to spend 3 bucks again if there is a high probability that I won't like the game.

Well, yeah, if you only played the easy half of the game and then calling it done, it's understandable that you disliked it. The fun part of the game is to be good enough to collect the black coins. Sure, some of them are unfair and require you to memorize parts of the level or restart the level many times but ultimately, they are a good challenge (except the Ghost House-levels, they suck). 

I agree with Remix, though, it's too much of the same stuff with not much of a challenge when it comes down to it - and collecting the rainbow coins are clearly down to luck in some cases.

10 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Well, yeah, if you only played the easy half of the game and then calling it done, it's understandable that you disliked it.

I didn't enjoy what I've played regardless of whether it was difficult or not. And constantly repeating the levels, which I didn't like playing through won't make me enjoy the game more.

Sure, some of them are unfair and require you to memorize parts of the level or restart the level many times but ultimately, they are a good challenge

And that's why I will never bother with them. I'm not going to play through every level just to see which ones can be done without memorizing. If the core game was enjoyable to me, I might have but as it stands...I just can't be arsed.

• Like 1

I couldn't even get past the demo. Just didn't enjoy it at all.

9 minutes ago, bob said:

I couldn't even get past the demo. Just didn't enjoy it at all.

Yeah, if I didn't buy it while absolutely shitfaced I probably wouldn't have gotten it at all :D

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

I didn't enjoy what I've played regardless of whether it was difficult or not. And constantly repeating the levels, which I didn't like playing through won't make me enjoy the game more.

And that's why I will never bother with them. I'm not going to play through every level just to see which ones can be done without memorizing. If the core game was enjoyable to me, I might have but as it stands...I just can't be arsed.

Sorry, didn't put the last part quite right. "Sure, some of them are unfair on first playthrough" but that won't change your mind. Well, it's fair that you don't like the game and then it's good that you only paid £3.51 for it. :)

This game just updated: 

Also it’s on sale for £4.99

Edited by Helmsly