NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario Run (iOS/Android)

[tweet]809467380929798144[/tweet]

...really?

Oh and some indication of data usage because we may as well :heh:

[tweet]809466756456583168[/tweet]

Does note that no more data is used in the first level so might just be top-heavy.

Edited by Ashley

Good grief Nintendo. If your phone or iPad was jailbroken at any point in its life you can't play the game, even if you do a clean install and no longer jailbroken.

Ridiculous Nintendo!!!

You can add people via twitter and Facebook or a direct link, so that 'code' is very misleading, that's just a general code so people can add. However, not being able to add from friends list or miitomo is a bit stupid.

I will say though that it is very impressive actually, loads of reply value, the high scores are great, toad rally seems good. Great stuff.

Good grief Nintendo. If your phone or iPad was jailbroken at any point in its life you can't play the game, even if you do a clean install and no longer jailbroken.

Ridiculous Nintendo!!!

Hmm I wonder how much of this is Apple leading them by the nose. They've been 'supporting' the development and they've a history of being heavy-handed.

You can add people via twitter and Facebook or a direct link, so that 'code' is very misleading, that's just a general code so people can add. However, not being able to add from friends list or miitomo is a bit stupid.

Ah okay cool. Seemed like a weird step back to completely remove all options, but lack of miitomo is odd.

Ridiculous Nintendo!!!

That's...pretty fucking ridiculous.

That's...pretty fucking ridiculous.

It's a joke. Completely backwards and Nintendo deserve a big fuck you for it. They don't get to dictate how one uses their own apple device.

This is really good so far. The connection requirement is already super annoying when commuting but at least the game pauses to display the error and reconnects when a service is available again.

Crazy news about the jailbreak thing. Do any other big name apps take that sort of approach? How does the app even know if your device has been jailbroken after a total clean install?

This is really good so far. The connection requirement is already super annoying when commuting but at least the game pauses to display the error and reconnects when a service is available again.

Crazy news about the jailbreak thing. Do any other big name apps take that sort of approach? How does the app even know if your device has been jailbroken after a total clean install?

Sky Q app doesn't work on jailbroken devices but once you remove the jailbreak it does work. I've never had any app not work on the device no longer jailbroken.

First time I have seen this but noticed people say it was the same with Miitomo

I tried it out on my Mum's iPad but I don't think it's suited to playing on such a big screen, so won't be able to play through it properly until it's out on Android. Seems good though and there seems to be plenty to do in it, lots of collectables. It's a shame about the little niggles like not working on jailbroken phones and having to do a second install after the initial tutorial level, but it seems like a nice package.

Taking a look at the hashtag on Twitter yields a mixed response, a lot of people are furious at Nintendo for charging, saying that they've been misled into believing the game was free before being asked to pay to unlock the rest of the game after 3 levels. There are a lot of people saying they'll never play beyond those first levels or will never install it because of 'in app purchases', I even saw one guy who thought the cost was $10 per level, which I think says more about peoples perceptions of in app purchases than Nintendo's mixed messaging. People seem to be enjoying it when they are playing it though, but a lot of people are disappointed with the amount that is available for free.

I've had a little play.

Really enjoyable.

Not sure why people are moaning about paying for it, there seems to be a hell of a lot of content and a lot of replay-ability which is good.

Also for a mobile game it feels extremely polished.

Looking forward to playing more :)

Lovely polish to this indeed. Loving the challenges. Getting the coins is insane. Green coins especially. Will nail the opening levels fully before deciding on a purchase or not...

I tried it out on my Mum's iPad but I don't think it's suited to playing on such a big screen, so won't be able to play through it properly until it's out on Android. Seems good though and there seems to be plenty to do in it, lots of collectables. It's a shame about the little niggles like not working on jailbroken phones and having to do a second install after the initial tutorial level, but it seems like a nice package.

Taking a look at the hashtag on Twitter yields a mixed response, a lot of people are furious at Nintendo for charging, saying that they've been misled into believing the game was free before being asked to pay to unlock the rest of the game after 3 levels. There are a lot of people saying they'll never play beyond those first levels or will never install it because of 'in app purchases', I even saw one guy who thought the cost was $10 per level, which I think says more about peoples perceptions of in app purchases than Nintendo's mixed messaging. People seem to be enjoying it when they are playing it though, but a lot of people are disappointed with the amount that is available for free.

Why would anyone think it's free. They never once said that.

Mobile software seriously is just a race to the bottom.

It's a joke. Completely backwards and Nintendo deserve a big fuck you for it. They don't get to dictate how one uses their own apple device.

This has got apple written all over it. I stopped using all apple products a couple of years ago after iTunes blocked me from playing an album on laptop that I had downloaded from the CD because I wasn't logged into iTunes.

Eh, it's about as dull as I expected.

That menu music is very un-Mario which is kinda funny.

I kept thinking to myself, "I'd rather be playing New Super Mario Bros. DS."

Also, why has this game got more new remixes than NSMB U?

Eh, it's about as dull as I expected.

That menu music is very un-Mario which is kinda funny.

I kept thinking to myself, "I'd rather be playing New Super Mario Bros. DS."

Also, why has this game got more new remixes than NSMB U?

Makes you wonder why people want Nintendo to ditch handhelds and just go mobile. The mobile software serves its purpose but could never replicate the charm and quality of games they produce for there own hardware.

A lot of the initial download and always-on connection are staples of Japanese mobile game design. It's infuriating to Western users but here it's not so much of an issue due to mobile networks being so fast and people having larger data allowances. I can understand why they did it but it doesn't make it any less stupid. So far I'm finding the actual game a lot of fun but the interface UI/UX not so much.

My code is 2796-6415-6547 if anyone wants to add me.

I just got done trying out the free section. It just felt a bit bland really. I'm sure the later levels get more interesting but these opening ones sure didn't inspire me to pay actual money for the rest.

Surprisingly the game kinda works on my phone. The performance was a bit rough last night, with the game stuttering a bit, but this morning it worked great. I managed to nab all the pink coins on the free stages.

I dislike how you can't link your Miitomo friends list to this. NVC said you could when they spoke about it in the past. I'm not sure if plans have changed or if they were just misinformed. It's a bit of a nightmare that you once again have to build up your friends list from scratch.

I enjoy playing Toad Rally. Racing random peoples ghost for a high score is quite fun. I'm not sure how you are supposed to get the different color Toads though. I guess they are unlocked in the full game.

It's nice to see that there are more My Nintendo achievements/missions to do in this game, even if there still isn't anything decent to spend the coins on. It makes me hopeful that these missions will be implemented in Switch software. I will say that they really just need to pick a standard design for the coins, though. Having a Miitomo coin and now a Mario coin ( they both do the same thing ) could be confusing for the general user.

I've had fun with what I've played. I'll keep playing the free levels and monitor how my phone performs. If it stays stable enough then I'll buy the full version.

EDIT: My ID is 2355-1630-4172

I can't believe friend codes are back.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I don't understand why they need a twelve digit friend code?

Are they expecting more than a trillion people to need one?

I don't understand why they need a twelve digit friend code?

Are they expecting more than a trillion people to need one?

no, but they want an abundant supply of redundant codes so you can't just guess a persons code to add random people. If they expected 10,000 sign ups and had a code that only allowed about that many codes, people could just type in random codes with a good chance of a "hit". With a large over supply of codes you make the chances of a random hit much lower, so it reduces the chance of a stranger adding you haphazardly, meaning the vast majority (if not all) will be people purposefully adding others. Also it saves mistyping a friend code and adding the wrong friend if they space the codes appropriately.

Why would that be so disastrous though? Add the wrong person? End of the world.

Why would that be so disastrous though? Add the wrong person? End of the world.

[Helen Lovejoy image]

Nabbed all the pink, purple and black coins in the free levels. The black coins in 1-3 were pretty tricky, especially the 3rd one. I would constantly screw myself over by mistiming my jumps.

That's pretty much all I can do with the free stuff. I'm really enjoying it but hesitant to buy the full version in case my phone can't handle some of the later levels.