NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario Run (iOS/Android)

You know I still haven't bought Fire Emblem: Fates?

If the auto-jump was an option, then I wouldn't mind it being there.

If there's one humourous thing to take from this, you could argue Ninty had more online presence today than Sony. Which is genuinely impressive.

Sony's thing hasn't started yet has it? But yeah, it's given them an unexpected boost today!

I think it's too early to tell from SMR if it will be fun or deep. The early footage for Go seemed like crap and it's not perfect or the deepest game, but I was surprised by the depth (or possible levels of engagement) within it. The gyms, Pokéstops, and that social "OMG A POKEMON IS NEAR" took me by surprise.

Thank you.

In other news, seems like you don't even need to avoid Goombas in this game.

1473270604-mario2.gif

And people thought Super Guide was taking the mick?

MY friend has a kid who is OBSESSED with mario, and in particular goombas. I actually think this will be amazing for him. it looks like if you time your jump correctly you are rewarded with stomping on the goomba, but if you jump too late there is no punishment. That makes sense on a medium where an input can easily be missed, here it would be an annoyance but not putting you back to square one for example, I like it.

Not getting it myself, but this looks good.

Do Apple still have OS X, or is that nomenclature old? Just thinking, with NX.... Could Nintendo and Apple join forces? ::shrug:

I think it's too early to tell from SMR if it will be fun or deep. The early footage for Go seemed like crap and it's not perfect or the deepest game, but I was surprised by the depth (or possible levels of engagement) within it. The gyms, Pokéstops, and that social "OMG A POKEMON IS NEAR" took me by surprise.

The social aspect is the main reason GO did as well as it did. Well, that and it being free to download.

The game still has very little to do with Pokemon games other than the Pokemon themselves.

You're not gonna convince me it has depth though.

I am curious how much SMR getting a price to play will impact it, it'd certainly be interesting to find out. Great way of testing my "The majority of mobile gamers are astonishingly cheap" theory.

The social aspect is the main reason GO did as well as it did. Well, that and it being free to download.

The game still has very little to do with Pokemon games other than the Pokemon themselves.

You're not gonna convince me it has depth though.

I am curious how much SMR getting a price to play will impact it, it'd certainly be interesting to find out. Great way of testing my "The majority of mobile gamers are astonishingly cheap" theory.

I said I was surprised by it's depth, not that it had a lot of depth. It's all about that low expectation ;)

@Serebii you're the worst for asking "why do people moan all the time" and "people should give it a chance". Why not try this?

I will, and I'll probably enjoy it.

However, I am truly of the belief that mobile gaming has irreparably damaged the industry.

However, I am truly of the belief that mobile gaming has irreparably damaged the industry.

Yep, I'm with you there.

It's the single biggest reason why microtransactions are so prevalent these days.

Yep, I'm with you there.

It's the single biggest reason why microtransactions are so prevalent these days.

I'd argue it's gamers who's fault this is. Developers may put stuff like microtransactions in games but you don't have buy them. If gamers didn't splash the cash then developers wouldn't put them in. DLC and add ins were already gaining traction on things like Xbox Live well before the mobile boom happened.

I'd argue it's gamers who's fault this is. Developers may put stuff like microtransactions in games but you don't have buy them. If gamers didn't splash the cash then developers wouldn't put them in. DLC and add ins were already gaining traction on things like Xbox Live well before the mobile boom happened.

Just because you don't have to buy them, doesn't mean they're not a blight on video gaming.

And let's face it, that Mobile boom cemented microtransactions.

I'm suddenly getting flashbacks to Jimquisition...

Yep, I'm with you there.

Expansion packs, memory cards, different coloured controllers, multi-taps, light guns, amiibos. The industry will always find ways to bleed us of more money, they rely on it.

The mobile industry has opened the industry to new players, new creators and new opportunities. Like anything it has good and bad sides but to suggest it has "irreparably damaged the industry" when the industry is stronger than ever, even just the dedicated console industry, is illogical.

It is giving more people chances to play more games. More people more chances to make more games. More companies more chances to make more money.

There's a lot of crap out there, sure. But the same is true of all industries (Big Brother, Michael Bay films, Sonic fan art etc). To tar a whole industry because of it is detrimental to the continued growth of the gaming industry.

Edited by Ashley

Same sterile graphics as the NSMB series, it's probably made by a very small team just quickly adapting the engine for mobile. All the talent at Nintendo should be busy making top quality NX games, right?

Same sterile graphics as the NSMB series, it's probably made by a very small team just quickly adapting the engine for mobile. All the talent at Nintendo should be busy making top quality NX games, right?

I dunno, they have a lot of people some of whom may develop mobile apps in their spare time and if they're working with DeNA on mobile games it wouldn't hurt to have a team learning more about it.

Wonder what the size of this team is actually.

Yes, that's the assumption that's going around.

And for the sake of my sanity, I really hope that's the case.

There will be a demo:

iOS users will be able to download and enjoy a portion of Super Mario Run for free and will be able to enjoy all of the game content available in this release after paying a set purchase price.

What's the difference really? You get to play a bit of the game without paying money.

This is good, right?

It's not designed for us, it's designed for those Wii deserters, those 25m who played New Super Mario Bros. Wii but didn't return for the Wii U version. That's why the visuals are rooted in the New series; it's familiar and approachable to them and somewhat plays on their nostalgia in the same way Nintendo can pull me in with sprites and 8-bit chip tunes.

Even the announcement at an Apple event was pretty shrewd, Apple events get big viewership and so jumping on that bandwagon highlights Mario in a big way - and possibly right before the NX reveal? I highly doubt that a Direct or Google event would generate the buzz surrounding Mario Run at the moment. All sounds good to me. As an Android fan, it's a bit irksome i'd like to play it at the same time as iOS owners but hey, like I say, it's not really for me. I guess, at least for me, the big takeaway seems how much they've put into the social stuff - lets see them do this - and more - for NX.

Anyway, best prepare myself for the BBC to inevitably mispronounce Mario just to annoy me.

Well if Bowser can do it, I don't see why the BBC can't...

This looks like loads of fun to me and I wish I had a phone capable of playing it :hehe:

If Nintendo are going to do mobile games, this is the sort of thing I'd enjoy playing as I always considered something like a Donkey Kong mine cart game to be great for mobile :smile:

I'm quite indifferent towards this.

As long as Nintendo won't try to sell the NX with this as its flagship, I'm fine.

It looks terrible, but it's not made for me, nor is it developed by an actual Nintendo team.

I think this will be fantastic for Nintendo, I like the idea that there are worlds/levels + some asynchronous online play.

Surprised they're charging though, I would have thought they might go free + IAP, I thought those are the games that make the most money. Maybe it'll only be like 79p or something.

Also, seeing the crowd go wild when Mario popped up and Shigsy came on stage was great :)

TBH, it's the Mario game that literally all of us were expecting. It is more or less the exact game I had in mind when I thought of what Mario would be like on mobile, so this is my surprised face right here :blank:

What IS actually surprising though is that this is seemingly a paid game/Pushmo style demo-turned-full-game-purchase thing. That's a very ballsy move from Nintendo there... Depends on the final pricing of course, but upfront payment on mobile is a big ask from an audience that clenches their fists tighter than Margaret Thatcher's knickers.

Seeing Miyamoto on an Apple Keynote stage is the most utterly surreal thing though. I mean, we've joked about it for years, but seeing it actually happen? Oh man..

It looks terrible, but it's not made for me, nor is it developed by an actual Nintendo team.

Wrong. It's being made by a team within Nintendo EPD, lead by Hideki Konno (Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion etc). Probably only a fairly small one (using cheaply pre-rendered versions of assets from NSMBU and all), but it's still an internally made game.

Edited by Dcubed

What IS actually surprising though is that this is seemingly a paid game/Pushmo style demo-turned-full-game-purchase thing. That's a very ballsy move from Nintendo there... Depends on the final pricing of course, but upfront payment on mobile is a big ask from an audience that clenches their fists tighter than Margaret Thatcher's knickers.

Very ballsy move. Unfortunately, it has to be 79p to be successful, anything more and it'll be flooded with 1 star reviews. That's how mobile gaming works.

At least we can say that Nintendo hasn't scrimped on this. It looks solid, it has unique features.

Nintendo, even when doing mobile, are continuing quality :)

At least we can say that Nintendo hasn't scrimped on this. It looks solid, it has unique features.

Nintendo, even when doing mobile, are continuing quality :)

Me, from 2014.

I imagine Nintendo will put the same time and care into their mobile games as they do into their other games. It's certainly going to be interesting to see what they cook up.

Well, you've certainly changed your tune.

You, from 2014, when asked if you would buy a Nintendo smartphone game.

Hells no.

Smartphone gaming is so shallow and inaccurate.

:D Edited by Hero-of-Time

Why is everyone so bitter? Nintendo are making a very good business decision that clearly isn't taking up much development time and wasn't aimed at most of us anyway. I don't see such an uproar when they release the likes of Brain Training or Nintendogs.

And to write off the entire mobile market just makes you look ignorant and out of touch.