NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario Run (iOS/Android)

Exactly, if it means they can take more risks with their console games then I'm all for it. Obviously the worry is they see how much money they can make with shallow mobile games and abandon proper gaming completely but Nintendo aren't that kind of company, as much as people criticise them it's not something they'd ever do.

People said that about them making Mobile games...

Surprise, surprise. Stocks went up.

CrxJ67cUkAAY7Ff.jpg:small

Somehow, I get the impression Shareholders don't care about the actual quality of games.

"Lowest common denominator!" Makes me sad.

Pokemon GO is shallow. And it still makes me physically ill thinking about it.

And all the success in the world isn't going to change that.

Looking at that GIF in the first post, is Mario automatically hurdling up small slopes?

Glee1.gif

To be blunt...so bloody what? It's a different type of game. Arguably there are shallow Pokémon games already (Puzzle Pop, that match 3, that kind of stuff). It's growing the franchise and evidently not impacting on the main series (unless Sun and Moon turns out to be awful but I can't see that happening) so it's good.

It raises Nintendo's profile and let's be frank, that is going to be beneficial to them.

Somehow, I get the impression Shareholders don't care about the actual quality of games.

Umm yeah. They invest because they want ROI, not because they think Yoshi is cute.

@Glen\-i, it makes you physical ill that people of all ages can connect to Nintendo IP without having to buy a console first? Don't make me laugh.

No. It makes me ill that said product has about as much gameplay as a steaming pile of crap.

Don't put words in my mouth.

No. It makes me ill that said product has about as much gameplay as a steaming pile of crap.

But it's not a console game and it's not claiming to be. Chill out.

To be blunt...so bloody what? It's a different type of game. Arguably there are shallow Pokémon games already (Puzzle Pop, that match 3, that kind of stuff). It's growing the franchise and evidently not impacting on the main series (unless Sun and Moon turns out to be awful but I can't see that happening) so it's good.

It raises Nintendo's profile and let's be frank, that is going to be beneficial to them.

For the millionth time! I'm not referring to how it impacts Nintendo as a company. I would like a game that has some modicum of interesting gameplay for me. Is that so bad?

And don't assume I think all Pokemon games on consoles are good, because they are most certainly not. I'm not that blind!

People said that about them making Mobile games...

Surprise, surprise. Stocks went up

Shareholders have and always will be the scum of the earth, Nintendo's board have historically ignored their shareholders so there really isn't much to worry about. More people will be connecting with Nintendo ip's and Nintendo will be financially better off. If in 3 years time they have switched their entire business plan to shallow, scummy mobile cash grabs then we can worry but this in no way indicates that's where they're headed.

But it's not a console game and it's not claiming to be.

This. And it's not like Nintendo will stop working on console games...::shrug:

I welcome this approach. Pokémon Go proved that mobile gaming can create a HUGE buzz and if Super Mario Run can achieve something similar it will only help. Especially with Nintendo's next hardware offering on the horizon.

But it's not a console game and it's not claiming to be. Chill out.

It could be a game on my freaking fridge for all I care. But if it's not got good gameplay, I don't give a damn!

When did this preconceived notion that I think all games on a non-console are inherently bad come from?

Mario Run looks utterly dull. Yes, you could argue it's not for me. So what? I don't get a say? I'm a huge Mario fan. Suddenly I don't matter?

That's why they need to make a home console Pokemon.

Thankfully due to NX, you'll get your wish, and I'll get my wish. NX means all Pokémon fans win :)

Just write off a whole industry with countless creative works that have allowed artists to fulfil life dreams simply because you don't like them.

Yup. Sure.

'kay :)

I fail to see how this is a bad thing. Will gladly shell out for some Mario fun on my iPhone.

I'm sure this is coming to NX as a cheap eShop or "app" download.

It could be a game on my freaking fridge for all I care. But if it's not got good gameplay, I don't give a damn!

Kind of seems like you do :heh:

Fair enough. It just comes across as "all mobile games are bad, death to mobiles, all hail President Kang!" but obviously it seems you didn't mean that.

This is great news! I am a mobile gaming snob but the exposure this will get Nintendo and, more importantly, bringing Mario to a new audience is great :)

Also Miyamoto showing up at the Apple event itself is and act of war against Sony's conference tonight, Ninty playing tough! ;)

Kind of seems like you do :heh:

Fair enough. It just comes across as "all mobile games are bad, death to mobiles, all hail President Kang!" but obviously it seems you didn't mean that.

Thank you.

In other news, seems like you don't even need to avoid Goombas in this game.

1473270604-mario2.gif

And people thought Super Guide was taking the mick?

Arguably having less control could increase the challenge in a game that is all about precise jumping...

Arguably having less control could increase the challenge in a game that is all about precise jumping...

Well yeah, in the same way that playing Mega Man with one hand increases the challenge?

Less control seems to translate to "More Frustration" most of the time. It's the reason Little Big Planet doesn't feel as nice to play. Mario games play well because of the amount of control the player has.

Well yeah, in the same way that playing Mega Man with one hand increases the challenge?

Less control seems to translate to "More Frustration" most of the time. It's the reason Little Big Planet doesn't feel as nice to play. Mario games play well because of the amount of control the player has.

Give them some credit, I'm sure they can find the balance :heh:

I'm not saying it will make things more challenging, just it could if done right. Usually the problem with less control is because it is unjustly being taken away from the player. In a way it's like those kind of levels where your vision is obstructed or the Mario Kart level from 3D World (as you're travelling at a greater than usual speed).

Plus that gif is from the first level. Maybe the auto-jump is reduced/removed as levels go by?

Edited by Ashley

I think it looks fun. I'll be giving it a download anyway. Worth playing for 5 mins at a time on my phone.

Also, what is with all the negativity? Why not give it a chance? Why dismiss it straight away without even trying it?

The above questions remind me of some on here when others criticised StarFox 0.

@Serebii you're the worst for asking "why do people moan all the time" and "people should give it a chance". Why not try this?

Just make this game free, cram it full with NX ads --> Profit!

That aside, it could be good if they would make it as in-depth as the aforementioned Rayman iOS games. These are auto-runners which look great, play great and sound great. This however looks to be a bit more shallow.

Just make this game free, cram it full with NX ads --> Profit!

Unlikely. They said its out by the end of this year and they won't have announced the NX by that point.

Nintendo on mobile is like eating a tub of Ben & Jerry's. I'll buy it, I'll even enjoy it, but I'll hate myself for doing so.

Unlikely. They said its out by the end of this year and they won't have announced the NX by that point.

NX announced by end of October. Mark my words.

Give them some credit, I'm sure they can find the balance :heh:

I'm not saying it will make things more challenging, just it could if done right. Usually the problem with less control is because it is unjustly being taken away from the player. In a way it's like those kind of levels where your vision is obstructed or the Mario Kart level from 3D World (as you're travelling at a greater than usual speed).

Fair enough. We'll have to see then. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

I will say this though. It looks a hell of a lot more interesting than Pokemon GO. With GO, I saw about 5 minutes of gameplay before thinking, "My word, this is nothing like Pokemon"

At least here, there seems to be a little bit of effort put in. It still doesn't look very engaging though. Will at least try it on @Dcubed's iPhone. No way in hell I'm shelling out for this without playing it first.

NX announced by end of October. Mark my words.

*considers adding 'this is a forum running joke' tag to make life easier*

Although I found the results of this interesting:

[tweet]773189527255015424[/tweet]

Fair enough. We'll have to see then. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

I will say this though. It looks a hell of a lot more interesting than Pokemon GO. With GO, I saw about 5 minutes of gameplay before thinking, "My word, this is nothing like Pokemon"

At least here, there seems to be a little bit of effort put in. It still doesn't look very engaging though. Will at least try it on @Dcubed's iPhone. No way in hell I'm shelling out for this without playing it first.

I Greninja edited my previous post to also suggest maybe the auto-jump is removed in later levels.

Depriving Nintendo of money. And you call yourself a fan :laughing:

I think it looks fun. I'll be giving it a download anyway. Worth playing for 5 mins at a time on my phone.

Also, what is with all the negativity? Why not give it a chance? Why dismiss it straight away without even trying it?

I was referring to Pokemon GO with that statement.

The negativity comes from the bad first impression it's given me. And I never said I wouldn't give it a chance. It's just not looking very fun.

I Greninja edited my previous post to also suggest maybe the auto-jump is removed in later levels.

Depriving Nintendo of money. And you call yourself a fan :laughing:

You know I still haven't bought Fire Emblem: Fates?

If the auto-jump was an option, then I wouldn't mind it being there.

If there's one humourous thing to take from this, you could argue Ninty had more online presence today than Sony. Which is genuinely impressive.