NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario Run (iOS/Android)

Shigeru Miyamoto has just come on stage during the Apple keynote to announce Super Mario Run on iOS.

It has automatic running, but it's not solely an infinite runner, there's Worlds/Levels.

Then there's a battle mode which is your typical mobile infinite runner with some other fun features.

Edited by Shorty

iOS exclusive or timed exclusive and coming to Android at a later date?

If it's the first then Nintendo can fuck right off :p

Urgh, and they went with the New Super Mario Bros. style...unless there will be others, too.

It finally happened! Nintendo's stock will no doubt skyrocket with this announcement.

Indeed.

Still can't believe it took them this long, though. I mean, the idea behind the game is so simple and obvious.

Looking forward to see whether they can build on that and provide more - for a lack of better term - "substantial" mobile games in the future.

It's an auto-runner?

Can't say I'm too surprised but, it's still got the distinct taste of gross.

So they took New Super Mario Bros, set it so right on the D pad was continuously held, tweaked a few things and ported it to iOS! Easy money!

Urgh..... :/

You wanna just jump into the suicide booth together? Because it's only going to get worse from here.

Urgh..... :/

I know you've posted reasons for your opinion numerous times but I forgot them :p May I ask again why you think this is bad/why you don't like it?

I need to dig out that mobile thread to see who said Nintendo would never resort to this. :D

I think Nintendo did a few years ago :heh:

Definitely seems like a really shallow game but Miyamoto seemed to suggest there would be no in-app purchases which is certainly a good thing. I think this will do really well with the general public. This is clearly not aimed at people like us, did any of you ever expect it would be?

Are people expecting more?

They are not going to kill there handheld business and these shallow experiences on mobile are the way to go for that audience.

Definitely seems like a really shallow game but Miyamoto seemed to suggest there would be no in-app purchases which is certainly a good thing. I think this will do really well with the general public. This is clearly not aimed at people like us, did any of you ever expect it would be?

Nope, but it still upsets me.

I mean, if it does have no in-app purchases, then good for them. Redeemed a little bit. Doesn't help much.

But it staggers me how such shallow games do so well.

Anyway, best prepare myself for the BBC to inevitably mispronounce Mario just to annoy me.

Anyone with negative things to say about this should go check out Rayman Jungle Run which is, decidedly, the shit.

I know you've posted reasons for your opinion numerous times but I forgot them :p May I ask again why you think this is bad/why you don't like it?

Mobile gaming sucks :p

Come on. People moaned about Pokémon Go being shallow, could destroy Nintendo's reputation etc but it's done just the opposite. This could be a huge win for Nintendo that means they can make more interesting choices with the NX.

Mobile gaming sucks :p

Just write off a whole industry with countless creative works that have allowed artists to fulfil life dreams simply because you don't like them.

Yup. Sure.

Come on. People moaned about Pokémon Go being shallow, could destroy Nintendo's reputation etc but it's done just the opposite. This could be a huge win for Nintendo that means they can make more interesting choices with the NX.

Pokemon GO is shallow. And it still makes me physically ill thinking about it.

And all the success in the world isn't going to change that.

Looking at that GIF in the first post, is Mario automatically hurdling up small slopes?

Glee1.gif

Exactly, if it means they can take more risks with their console games then I'm all for it. Obviously the worry is they see how much money they can make with shallow mobile games and abandon proper gaming completely but Nintendo aren't that kind of company, as much as people criticise them it's not something they'd ever do.

The reaction by fans to 'simple' games is absolutely hilarious and immensely ironic given that the same people often praised the direction they took with games like Wii Sports, Nintendogs etc. It's outright embarrassing.

@Glen\-i, it makes you physical ill that people of all ages can connect to Nintendo IP without having to buy a console first? Don't make me laugh.