NEurope
Hero-of-Time

PlayStation Meeting 7th September 2016

The issue I have is why should I get this? Even if I was to get a 4k TV why buy PS4 pro and not just wait to see what Scorpio is saying?

The issue I have is why should I get this? Even if I was to get a 4k TV why buy PS4 pro and not just wait to see what Scorpio is saying?

Why get anything? There's always something better if you wait long enough or pay more.

If you were a PC gamer you would literally never buy anything as a new range of graphics cards come out every year.

Edited by Sheikah

I suppose it depends on your situation but if I was upgrade it would be to the PS4 Pro. My Plus subscription, my gaming circle and the N E Destiny clan all exist on the PS4, I'm to engrained with Sony this generation to consider swapping to Microsoft.

I imagine quite a few people will feel the same.

Surely the development of different visual modes isn't going to be any bother at all for developers? Most games that come to PS4/Xbox are on the PC as well, where they're already catering for different spec machines. It's not going to put them under any pressure. Have they said it's compulsory to develop to cater for 4K? I didn't think they had, so the developer will surely only develop extra visual modes if they want to.

Yeah they've said numerous times that its up to the developers so they could do/add nothing.

4K screenshots!

When playing a game with PS4 Pro features, using DUALSHOCK 4’s Share button will generate higher resolution gameplay clips and screenshots compared to the standard PS4. Specifics will vary by game, but some games will support full 1080p video capture, and screenshots at up to 3840 x 2160 (4K) pixels.

This FAQ gives a good overview of the whole console and what it does and doesn't do.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

It all seems pretty fair to me, it's simply a boosted PS4 for those who have a 4K TV or those who are the type to want the absolute best graphics possible. It's just giving consumers options. Like how you have the choice of 3DS or 3DS XL, 500GB or 1TB hard drive consoles, you can choose to have the console suited to a standard HD TV, or the one that'll be great on a 4K one. I'll be fine with my standard PS4, if someone thinks this one will suit them, good for them!

Because it's still an Xbox One, maybe?

Because it's still an Xbox One, maybe?

The PS4 Pro is still a PS4, the Scorpio is a huge step up from an Xbox One.

The real joke in all of this, apart from a 4K device not playing 4K Blurays, is that the HDR wizardry they spent so long trying to explain will be available on the older PS4s as well with an update. WTF? It's yet another example of how utterly pointless the Pro is. It's a product that no one asked for and that doesn't need to exist. If they were that keen to future proof they should have just focused on delivering a few more first party games, and ridden their winning streak for another year or two, and then trumped the Scorpio with PS5 in 2018.

The PS4 Pro is still a PS4, the Scorpio is a huge step up from an Xbox One.

...But it's still an Xbox One. If you're not interested in what the One has to offer with its library, why would you suddenly be interested with the upgrade? People have bought into the PS4 and its offerings, so it's natural for them to look at the Pro upgrade. To get an Xbox One, you'd basically be rebuilding your games library from scratch.

...But it's still an Xbox One. If you're not interested in what the One has to offer with its library, why would you suddenly be interested with the upgrade? People have bought into the PS4 and its offerings, so it's natural for them to look at the Pro upgrade. To get an Xbox One, you'd basically be rebuilding your games library from scratch.

Isn't that what people did when they went from the 360 to the PS4? They rebuilt their library from scratch because a better system came along. The same thing could happen here. It's the next gen Xbox and it could tempt a lot of people over. That is until the PS5 releases a year later and renders the Pro even more pointless.

Isn't that what people did when they went from the 360 to the PS4? They rebuilt their library from scratch because a better system came along. The same thing could happen here. It's the next gen Xbox and it could tempt a lot of people over. That is until the PS5 releases a year later and renders the Pro even more pointless.

It was a new generation and a fresh slate with the PS4/X1, perfect time to jump ship. The Pro/Scorpio are a continuation of a generation so people still have access to all their existing games and contacts if they upgrade but their friends don't. It makes it much more enticing to stay with the same brand than at the start of a new generation.

For a product as sensible as the Pro to be this controversial, you really have to hand it to gamers for being one of the dumbest and angriest demographics of people around. I feel dumber for having read some of this thread.

The Pro/Scorpio are a continuation of a generation

The Pro is a continuation of this generation.

The Scorpio is starting a new generation for Xbox, it's apparently 4.5 times more powerful than the One.

For a product as sensible as the Pro to be this controversial, you really have to hand it to gamers for being one of the dumbest and angriest demographics of people around. I feel dumber for having read some of this thread.

I'd steer clear of Gaf or, well most other gaming forums then. This place is a Sony paradise compared to the backlash elsewhere on the net.

The Scorpio is starting a new generation for Xbox, it's apparently 4.5 times more powerful than the One.

It plays all X1 games, so the statements I made (ability to play with X1 friends, existing games library) apply just the same to Scorpio.

Again, the consoles at the start of this generation could not do this.

I'd steer clear of Gaf or, well most other gaming forums then. This place is a Sony paradise compared to the backlash elsewhere on the net.

GAF is primarily idiots and fuckwits regardless of the topic.

It plays all X1 games, so the statements I made (ability to play with X1 friends, existing games library) apply just the same to Scorpio.

Again, the consoles at the start of this generation could not do this.

The Wii U can play all Wii games. The Wii could play all Gamecube games, does that mean they were part of the same generation? Microsoft are making their next Xbox backwards compatible. A console that's over 4x more powerful does not indicate same gen. They made that very clear, and Playstation made it very clear the Pro is a small iteration for this gen.

I do. One of the strengths of this forum is that it's less reactionary.

You however seem keen to paint this as the death knell for Sony. It's an absurd position to take.

The Wii could play all Gamecube games, does that mean they were part of the same generation?

Pretty much, if we're going by the level of hardware :p

You however seem keen to paint this as the death knell for Sony. It's an absurd position to take.

No I just don't bow at the altar of Sony. At no point have I suggested it's the death knell of the company, just that it was a terrible, cringe-worthy presentation and the Pro is a pointless bit of tech in 2016 (but will likely make Sony a few extra quid so maybe that's all they care about). I'm also pleased the presentation sold me on not getting a Neo, I'd spent weeks convinced I was going to pick one up.

The Wii U can play all Wii games. The Wii could play all Gamecube games, does that mean they were part of the same generation? Microsoft are making their next Xbox backwards compatible. A console that's over 4x more powerful does not indicate same gen. They made that very clear, and Playstation made it very clear the Pro is a small iteration for this gen.

As far as we know, Scorpio is not a hard refresh. Most new games will apparently work on both X1 and Scorpio. To not do that would be very silly, given that this is the path Sony has taken and that it helps keep your customers on your brand. So in that sense, it's not a real new generation.

There are also other incentives to stay with the brand...for instance, annual subscriptions mean most people aren't going to buy both Xbox and PS consoles. So if you're going to pick one console mid generation, do you buy the console that still lets you play with your existing friends (many of whom won't upgrade since no 4K TV/don't want to) as well as play your existing games, or buy the competitor consoles and start from nothing?

The choice is very obvious - you stick with what you're with. Chances are you're with that brand because you like the particular games they get for their console anyway.

GAF is primarily idiots and fuckwits regardless of the topic.

It really is. Not sure why Ronnie places so much stock in what they think.

Edited by Sheikah

Does this edit make it clearer?

The Pro/Scorpio are a continuation of a generation so people still have access to all their existing games because the architecture is fundamentally the same, just with some upgraded components and not just because backwards compatibility has been built in and contacts if they upgrade but their friends don't. It makes it much more enticing to stay with the same brand than at the start of a new generation.

Why aren't you fuming that the Scorpio is starting a new generation for xbox? You certainly would be if the Pro did the same thing (as your previous posts have adhered to in the past few months).

Also, who actually cares about UHD blu rays? I don't know of any one who has got one. Infact I don't know of many people with blu rays. Most people use streaming services.

Christ, looking at some of the prices for decent HDR 4K screens and they're insane. Digital Foundry did an article in August looking at 4K TV's that offer great HDR and low latency with their mid-range recommendation costing between £1000 and £1600. Think it's going to be a long while until I can take full advantage of the Pro's features and if I had a standard PS4 already or the Pro cost significantly more then I would definitely hold off on getting one. But as it is I'm happy to pay £90 extra now to ensure that I'll be able to get the most out of the system at a later date.

Digital Foundry have also posted a

about Sony's presentation and how there was a significant different when seen with the naked eye in New York but that it translated poorly over the stream. The videos that Sony subsequently released were encoded at too low a bitrate for them to notice any difference but DF were pleasantly surprised with how the Pro handles displaying games at higher resolutions through clever processing rather than raw power.

I think having it would have been nice of course. Necessary? Hardly.

I would say this backlash is quite exaggerated at this stage. If lack of UHD Blu Ray is the main thing people are complaining about then they seem to be in a rather strong position for a console.

IMO the complaints about UHD Blu Ray can be compared to backwards compatibility. Backwards compatibility is something a select number of people are very vocal about wanting to the point you would think it is a huge demand or draw; when in reality, it really isn't. I would guess that a huge proportion of people complaining about this omission won't be going out of their way to buy UHD Blu Rays for a very long time.

I doubt UHD Blu Ray is going to be a major draw for most or a major reason to choose a console. I reckon if they included one then you'd be looking closer to 399 quid than 349, which would probably make this an even harder sell. At the current price, it's perfect.

Edited by Sheikah

Why aren't you fuming that the Scorpio is starting a new generation for xbox? You certainly would be if the Pro did the same thing (as your previous posts have adhered to in the past few months).

Again, I'm not fuming, I'm chuffed to bits with how half arsed the PS4 Pro is, it means I have zero reason to upgrade, especially once the HDR update is released for current PS4 owners, making the Pro even more pointless.

I'm not fuming about the Scorpio because Xbox has lost this gen, they had to do something. Far better to go all out and release a big leap forward early than half arse it like the Neo was supposed to.

Also, who actually cares about UHD blu rays? I don't know of any one who has got one. Infact I don't know of many people with blu rays. Most people use streaming services.

Streaming 4K content? Have you ever seen how much compression these streaming services apply? Quality wise it wouldn't compare with UHD disks. I just think it's an embarrassing omission, especially given the Xbox One S plays them.

I would say this backlash is quite exaggerated at this stage. If lack of UHD Blu Ray is the main thing people are complaining about then they seem to be in a rather strong position for a console.

Apart from the lack UHD bluray playback, I don't think anyone's complaining as such, just totally underwhelmed, and judging by that solitary person clapping at the presentation, it seems the press are as well.