NEurope
Hero-of-Time

PlayStation Meeting 7th September 2016

The extra level of clarity intrigues me only for multiplayer... if it helps spotting enemies in an FPS for example (ie: head-glitchers in CoD).

Otherwise I'm not all too fussed about being able to see a beach a little more clearly in the Uncharted campaign, for example.

So have they confirmed framerates will be improved in games going forward? I'd be hoping for a stable 60fps across the board really.

Edited by Kav

My favourite reaction has been about the HDR; "I see no difference!"; "Looks the same to me."; yeah, no fucking shit poindexter, you're watching a shitty stream on a non-HDR, non-4K screen.

I'll happily admit this was my reaction but if you can't get the message across clearly via a stream, then why attempt it in the first place? For those in the audience it would be fine but for people at home, the ones who are possibly going to buy the thing, it's a very hard sell if they can't demonstrate what they are trying to achieve with the device.

To be fair, this product was never going to be for me. I'm not a tech head, i'm still happily rocking a 37inch LCD TV and games look absolutely fine on it as is. I'm certainly not willing to shell out money for a 4K TV and a new console just to see a prettier picture.

I'm intrigued to see how the market reacts to this device once on sale. It's a very interesting time for the industry, even if i'm not happy with the direction it's going in.,

I'll happily admit this was my reaction but if you can't get the message across clearly via a stream, then why attempt it in the first place? For those in the audience it would be fine but for people at home, the ones who are possibly going to buy the thing, it's a very hard sell if they can't demonstrate what they are trying to achieve with the device.

To be fair, this product was never going to be for me. I'm not a tech head, i'm still happily rocking a 37inch LCD TV and games look absolutely fine on it as is. I'm certainly not willing to shell out money for a 4K TV and a new console just to see a prettier picture.

I'm intrigued to see how the market reacts to this device once on sale. It's a very interesting time for the industry, even if i'm not happy with the direction it's going in.,

As I mentioned yesterday, I think the intent was purely for those in the audience and they streamed it because that's what you do now and it still got people chatting, even if they couldn't see it.

As I mentioned yesterday, I think the intent was purely for those in the audience and they streamed it because that's what you do now and it still got people chatting, even if they couldn't see it.

Yeah, but it can have a negative effect on the product. Just look at idiots such as myself. :D

Just been looking up 4K TV's on Amazon. They are a lot cheaper than I'd expected. My 42" TV is over four years old, still works great.. but I have wanted a larger screen for quite a while!

So...what do you propose they do?

It's kind of the same issue as VR; you can't be told how good/immersive/whatever some of these things are, you need to experience them.

You aren't really wrong though, I was watching it and thinking it was literally absurd that they were trying to show off something that I knew couldn't be shown – like a weird inverse Emperor's New Clothes. But they need to start somewhere. I think the hands-on – much like with the VR – have been really positive, so while the meeting was a bit surreal, if you ask me, they've handled a very difficult position as well as they possibly could have.

The Digital Foundary (EuroGamer) article Daft posted on the last page may be worth checking out. They reference a TV test they did a while ago that factors in price, performance, refresh rate etc etc and score them from a gaming perspective. Wouldn't be surprised if they do one specifically about the PS4 Pro soon.

No 4K blueray playback on a machine that has a blueray drive and plays 4K games....a machine designed to shift 4K displays

What?

I can't see it helping encourage 4k TV uptake if you then need to buy a separate machine to enjoy 4K bluerays. Sure you could 4K stream but its of a lower quality

Eh its a hard sell to me this, i don't need a new TV my current ones are very good so cannot justify an upgrade cost of a console and a TV for something that will not provide the complete package so to speak. Once 4K displays have dropped in price considerably this might work

If it wasn't for the Scorpio (and after really falling out of favour with Ms this pains me to say) this might sell well, but the scorpio seems the better prospect if you are buying another console, that way you get that entire package and if you already have a PS4 you've then covered all bases for gaming

Odd choices really, just odd, it can't cost sony much to include it since they own the tech

When is the Scorpio out? October? Think they can announce and release faster than Sony like with the S?

When is the Scorpio out? October? Think they can announce and release faster than Sony like with the S?

I thought it was late next year?

Scorpio is going to cost a lot. There's no chance its going to hit £350. By which time the PS4 Pro will have settled into the market, likely with space to drop its price if needed.

It's weird because Microsoft's market skewers much younger than PlayStation's and yet it's Xbox that's going to offer the premium product. I don't think it'll work for them.

What's the point if it's next year? People are talking as if it's releasing the same time?

You could say the same about HD when it was new though - impossible to get across directly to people on non-HD sets, but they can still simulate the magnitude of benefit by showing 'downgrades' on current tech. You see this on TV adverts a lot (e.g. Sky) trying to show you the level of improvement with new tech by showing you really nice images vs crap ones (when they were trying to push Sky HD). You can sort of simulate 4K by showing a 1080p image vs a same-size image with 4 times fewer pixels.

I think they did a good job explaining the upgrade, and if they can convince the people who were there like Digital Foundry to tell you it's a massive improvement then I can see that convincing people to get one.

A good job explaining the upgrade? I thought they did an awful job explaining it, that HDR "example" was ludicrous. Sure the few dozen people in the audience appreciated it, but what about the MILLIONS of people who sat at home confused and bored?

I think Playstation are going to come out all guns blazing on the PS5 in a couple of years. I'm convinced they half-arsed PS4 Pro when they found out what Scorpio was, and the extra time till the latter launches gives them time to prep PS5.

If it's out next year it should be priced ok. The problem is next year is late. Might as well wait more for the PS5 and Xbone Zeus etc.

If it's out this year Sony will beat them on price easily. Even the crappy exchange rate etc

Worth a read,

Pre-ordered.

Cancelling my PSVR pre-order.

Starts looking at 60" 4K HDR TVs.

Why're you canceling you psvr order? Thought you were excited by it?

What's the point if it's next year? People are talking as if it's releasing the same time?

I think the S is out this year and the Scorpio is out next year. I'm losing track of Xbox consoles tbf.

I believe Sony has replaced their PS4 with the slim and offered the Pro. Microsoft meanwhile has the standard/old One, the S which is also slimmer but more powerful (unlike the new standard PS4 which has minor improvements but nothing to shout about) and the Scorpio which is basically a PS4 Pro Pro.

I think we essentially now have three 'streams':

1) Standard (PS4, Xbox One)

2) Improved (PS4 Pro, S)

3) Super (Scorpio)

A good job explaining the upgrade? I thought they did an awful job explaining it, that HDR "example" was ludicrous. Sure the few dozen people in the audience appreciated it, but what about the MILLIONS of people who sat at home confused and bored?

Well as I keep saying, I don't think they were trying to sell it to us as much as they were the taste makers in the audience. We got to see it, which was nice (even if you found it boring but hey, all presentations are boring from time to time), but we weren't the ones Sony were courting because as has been discussed we can't appreciate it on a 720 stream on a HDTV.

Edited by Ashley

If it's out next year it should be priced ok.

No way, Scorpio is a BEAST, it's a whole step up from the PS4 Pro. That thing is a 4K native machine. The PS4 Pro is an 'up to 4k' deal.

Why're you canceling you psvr order? Thought you were excited by it?

I only have so much money and I've got to prioritise. It just makes more sense to invest in my TV/PS4 set-up before VR; the VR software library is still in its infancy so I think I'll be getting more bang for my buck with an upgraded TV/PS4.

I'm still excited, but I'm happy whenever I switch my PS4 on so I might as well consolidate that experience...if that makes sense. Also, 4K Netflix. Ha

Edited by Daft

Well as I keep saying, I don't think they were trying to sell it to us as much as they were the taste makers in the audience. We got to see it, which was nice (even if you found it boring but hey, all presentations are boring from time to time), but we weren't the ones Sony were courting because as has been discussed we can't appreciate it on a 720 stream on a HDTV.

Just strikes me as odd given how well Sony have been doing getting gamers on their side this generation in terms of messaging and presentations.

The whole low key, muted affair seemed very much backtracking on Sony's part. They knew it couldn't compete with Scorpio so didn't want to make too big a deal out of it. I really can't see it selling well at all, especially with the crazy lack of a 4K bluray player.

Microsoft throwing punches...

[tweet]773608657007280128[/tweet]

Article with Microsoft statement released after the Sony showing:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-08-microsofts-bullish-response-to-sonys-ps4-pro-and-slim

"Starting at £249, Xbox One S is the only console available today with built-in 4K Blu-ray - a value price compared to 4K Blu-ray players. It also offers 4K video streaming plus HDR for video and gaming."
"Launching holiday 2017, Project Scorpio is the next member of the Xbox One family and will be the most powerful console ever created with 6TFLOPS capable of delivering true 4K gaming"

Last night Sony confirmed the PS4 Pro offers 4.2TFLOPS of power

Edited by Kav

Last generation we moaned Sony focused too much on the multimedia side of things at the expense of gaming (more so at the PS3's shitty launch). This generation we moaned about the One doing the same. Now we're saying the PS4 Pro should have included the UHD drive?

What do we want? :heh:

A good job explaining the upgrade? I thought they did an awful job explaining it

I honestly don't get how you walked away not understanding what they were saying. They couldn't have been more clear explaining what the features meant to people who may not have known much/anything about them. As they are features they can obviously not faithfully show visually, their explanation was the next best thing.

I think to people without an agenda, it was pretty clear indeed.

No 4K blueray playback on a machine that has a blueray drive and plays 4K games....a machine designed to shift 4K displays

What?

I can't see it helping encourage 4k TV uptake if you then need to buy a separate machine to enjoy 4K bluerays. Sure you could 4K stream but its of a lower quality

Eh its a hard sell to me this, i don't need a new TV my current ones are very good so cannot justify an upgrade cost of a console and a TV for something that will not provide the complete package so to speak. Once 4K displays have dropped in price considerably this might work

If it wasn't for the Scorpio (and after really falling out of favour with Ms this pains me to say) this might sell well, but the scorpio seems the better prospect if you are buying another console, that way you get that entire package and if you already have a PS4 you've then covered all bases for gaming

Odd choices really, just odd, it can't cost sony much to include it since they own the tech

I wanted to praise Sony for keeping its fanbase well updated in comparison to Nintendo's weird muteness - but the no 4k movie player yet plays games in 4k sounds like something Nintendo would do.

Dem D'oh! moves.

I feel they rushed to release this for this year, but what was the rush?

A constant pull for me to buy a PS4 has always been the Blue Ray player and the additional benefit of experiencing movies in higher quality. But this move kind of reduces that pull for me.

Has it been explained why they omitted it?

Last generation we moaned Sony focused too much on the multimedia side of things at the expense of gaming (more so at the PS3's shitty launch). This generation we moaned about the One doing the same. Now we're saying the PS4 Pro should have included the UHD drive?

What do we want? :heh:

I want it all! I WANT IT ALL

And i want it now

EDIT: wait the scorpio is LATE next year? i thought it was early?

Well that throws out some really odd questions and ideas! firstly the Pro will have been an established product for almost a year so could do well, but then it begs the question of why the rush to get it out and not match the competition?

Like @King_V says its almost nintendo moves

Edited by Agent Gibbs