NEurope
Hero-of-Time

PlayStation Meeting 7th September 2016

@kav82 they just confirmed on the stream that in multiplayer everyone will be on a level playing field, so you don't have to worry about frame rate boosts for PS Pro users who are competing against you.

Perfectomondo! Thanks man.

I guess it ultimately comes down to two things:

1. How much does it cost for Sony to put a UHD BR drive into the console? What does the new break even price become?

2. How does a UHD BR player benefit the gamer?

I was surprised by its omission but it makes sense when you think about it. They simply want to have a 4K gaming option for as cheap as possible. People may argue that the XBS offers UDH blu-ray playback but that machine is barely more powerful than the original XBO, so it's nothing compared to the PS4 Pro. For a gamer, the PS4 Pro remains the better gaming platform. I imagine that the Scorpio may offer this down the line too, depending on cost.

It reminds me of when Sony put a blu-ray drive into the PS3, but the key difference here is that blu-rays were necessary for extra storage space for the HD generation. They don't need to replace blu-rays with UHD blu-rays this time round.

The PS2 sold crazy numbers thanks to the DVD player among other things. A very strange omission in this case.

No 4K BDs!? Wow! I am legit shocked! :o

How on earth did Sony manage to blunder that one up!? That's a big disadvantage for them, considering that even the Xbox One S has that and that Sony (the wider company) are desperately trying to push 4K BD content right now... That's a big blow to the company's 4K initiative as a whole.

They might not need it for game storage, but 4K is kinda half the whole point of this thing... It's a baffling omission (especially when most games will fail to hit the 4K target with these specs anyway).

Also, 310 Watt power consumption!? That can't be right surely? That thing is gonna be an inferno!

Edited by Dcubed

Pretty cool that they're allowing HDR on all PS4s though. Microsoft said that the standard Xbox One isn't quite powerful enough for HDR, so I wonder if it'll have an impact on performance.

That was even worse than I thought it was going to be. Thankfully. Not only was it the dullest thing I've seen in a long time, it seemed really limp - when they were talking bout HDR, and 4K, I felt a little bit of pity 'for anyone who really gives a fuck about all of it. Sure it's nice, but when that's pretty much all you have to say. Dull. And no 4K blurays player is an absolute joke. Even afterward I was thinking it looks a bit pointless, but when I get a 4K tv I still may get it (I'm interest in psvr too), then I found out it doesn't even have it. Ridiculous. It seems pretty awful to me and can see Scorpio doing far far better.

But then this generation has shown me I'm really not aligned at all with the wider gaming public.

Does anyone actually understand what HDR means in gaming ? Their demo certainly didn't explain anything. HDR in photography I can understand, but gaming where developers can "expose" a scene however they like....?

Also, the whole 'PS4 Pro' is a part of this generation' genuinely makes me think they're holding back for PS5. The Scorpio has spooked them and it was too late to backtrack. It being part of this generation also flies in the face of what people have been suggesting.

That was even worse than I thought it was going to be. Thankfully. Not only was it the dullest thing I've seen in a long time, it seemed really limp - when they were talking bout HDR, and 4K, I felt a little bit of pity 'for anyone who really gives a fuck about all of it. Sure it's nice, but when that's pretty much all you have to say. Dull. And no 4K blurays player is an absolute joke. Even afterward I was thinking it looks a bit pointless, but when I get a 4K tv I still may get it (I'm interest in psvr too), then I found out it doesn't even have it. Ridiculous. It seems pretty awful to me and can see Scorpio doing far far better.

But then this generation has shown me I'm really not aligned at all with the wider gaming public.

Agree with this. Quote staggering given how well Sony had been doing this gen.

Meanwhile at the Nintendo NX team...

tumblr_mzx3mogZ3d1qa2ovmo1_500.gif

The PS2 sold crazy numbers thanks to the DVD player among other things. A very strange omission in this case.

DVDs were the follow up to VHS tapes. Everyone wanted them and individual players used to cost a lot of money. All movies were coming to DVD too. It was huge.

UHD blurays are a nice to have. At the moment most movies aren't supporting the format but who knows what the future will hold. Streaming will ultimately be the way forward though.

Edit. Lol at your above comment. The Pro has ALWAYS been part of this generation. From the first leaks it's been clear that it was a 4K version of the PS4. Only armchair experts like yourself have claimed it to be next gen Playstation.

All those people that said the NEO would be the next Playstation...just hilarious in hindsight.

Edited by Goron_3

Does anyone actually understand what HDR means in gaming ? Their demo certainly didn't explain anything. HDR in photography I can understand, but gaming where developers can "expose" a scene however they like....?

Also, the whole 'PS4 Pro' is a part of this generation' genuinely makes me think they're holding back for PS5. The Scorpio has spooked them and it was too late to backtrack. It being part of this generation also flies in the face of what people have been suggesting.

HDR is thrown around these days to mean that it uses the wider colour space (Rec. 2020). It's actually pretty amazing when all your equipment supports it. To me it's a bigger difference than HD to UHD, so I'm happy they're allowing it for all PS4s.

DVDs were the follow up to VHS tapes. Everyone wanted them and individual players used to cost a lot of money. All movies were coming to DVD too. It was huge.

UHD blurays are a nice to have. At the moment most movies aren't supporting the format but who knows what the future will hold. Streaming will ultimately be the way forward though.

Sure but why cripple your console from the start? How much could it have possibly cost to include one? Especially as the XBO S has one.

I was surprised by its omission but it makes sense when you think about it. They simply want to have a 4K gaming option for as cheap as possible.

They might be missing out an a lot of sales, though...I think the group of people who are thinking about getting 4k TV and a device for 4k gaming and movies is pretty big. And with the omission of a UHD Blu Ray drive those most likely won't buy a PS4 Pro.

With all their talk about HDR and 4k it just is a stupid decision to not include UHD Blu Ray support.

But adding it would probably raise the price...

Difficult.

The general reaction to the omission is negative and I think that's what will cost Sony a lot of sales...

I guess it ultimately comes down to two things:

1. How much does it cost for Sony to put a UHD BR drive into the console? What does the new break even price become?

2. How does a UHD BR player benefit the gamer?

I was surprised by its omission but it makes sense when you think about it. They simply want to have a 4K gaming option for as cheap as possible. People may argue that the XBS offers UDH blu-ray playback but that machine is barely more powerful than the original XBO, so it's nothing compared to the PS4 Pro. For a gamer, the PS4 Pro remains the better gaming platform. I imagine that the Scorpio may offer this down the line too, depending on cost.

It reminds me of when Sony put a blu-ray drive into the PS3, but the key difference here is that blu-rays were necessary for extra storage space for the HD generation. They don't need to replace blu-rays with UHD blu-rays this time round.

I think they have fucked up. You market a product on 4K output and the same product can't run a 4K blu Ray disc.

I've watched plenty of technical talks and conferences, both online and in person, and it wasn't too bad. It's for a specific audience clearly and I can see why people get bored but it was billed as a meeting, not an event/show/presentation.

People have been suggesting. Those people have not been Sony employees. We have no way of knowing if Sony intended for something else and held back because of Scorpio as much as we don't know if Nintendo delayed the NX release because we don't know what their plans have ever been.

The rumours have always suggested it is part of this generation, not a new generation, just an optional variation. Never has it been suggested it would be some huge difference. We've been saying this for months.

I think they have fucked up. You market a product on 4K output and the same product can't run a 4K blu Ray disc.

4K gaming, yes. They didn't claim 4K output for movies outside of streaming.

Sure but why cripple your console from the start? How much could it have possibly cost to include one? Especially as the XBO S has one.

True, but XBO S is much cheaper to manufacturer and it's not a 4K gaming machines. Scorpio will be a good comparison but it's coming out in 12 months. Can MS play catch up?

Yeah it was a poorly worded post from me, I meant more like an interview with someone from Sony to explain the choices made.

I see. Looking forward to Sony explaning this.

With everything they've done right this gen it seems like a really stupid mistake to make. :blank:

If I had the money for a 4k TV and a PS4 Pro I would not buy both because of the missing UHD Blu-Ray player. ::shrug:

For gamers-only the PS4 Pro seems like a great deal (if you don't own a PS4). For the others not so much now.

The rumours have always suggested it is part of this generation, not a new generation, just an optional variation. Never has it been suggested it would be some huge difference. We've been saying this for months.

PlayStation haven't said a word except suggesting there may not be a PS5, and Microsoft talked about a future without generations. So people on here may have suggested it was always going to be the same gen (though I don't remember that) but everything we've heard thus far from the industry themselves has suggested the lines between gens are going to be blurred.

I suspect PlayStation are backtracking after the Scorpio reveal.

More so if that's their first it would be risky to put that into a console untested and increase the cost.

It's a weird decision but there might be good reasons.

4K gaming, yes. They didn't claim 4K output for movies outside of streaming.

True, but XBO S is much cheaper to manufacturer and it's not a 4K gaming machines. Scorpio will be a good comparison but it's coming out in 12 months. Can MS play catch up?

I don't think it matters. The buzzword is 4K and with that I think people expect to play a movie disc and not just a Netflix app which is already on there 4K tv

Also if the market is going to become more iterative in nature then it's entirely possible we could see an even further refined PS4 Pro in two years time with a 4K Blu-Ray player built in providing the market for it really takes off.

Personally I'm more than happy with standard Blu-Ray quality, even some DVD's look decent enough when upscaled. ::shrug:

I might consider buying a 4K TV... when it actually becomes viable to me, until then... no real need to upgrade that much in the tech department, aside from buying an NX of course, assuming it turns out to be something must-have which I'm almost certain it will be at this point. ;)

But my PS4 still feels like its got at least another four years left in it, as does my Xbox One... providing they last that long.

I don't think it matters. The buzzword is 4K and with that I think people expect to play a movie disc and not just a Netflix app which is already on there 4K tv

The rumour-based buzzword on the internet was 4K. It depends how they advertise this thing - "PS4 Pro - better graphics, more vibrant colours, a better machine" (terrible I know, but you get the idea) would set up a different expectation than "PS4 Pro - 4K innit"

Got to admit, better blu Rays never even entered my mind all the months we've known about this. The 4K-ness of it always just made me think of better looking games.