NEurope
Hero-of-Time

PlayStation Meeting 7th September 2016

I'm definitely surprised that it's £350, I think a lot more people will buy it than pundits had expected. I'd be surprised if Scorpio comes close in terms of price and Sony can always drop the price to £300 - £325 next November and undercut them.

They could probably easily undercut them even more by then! Still not 100% sure on the design though...

14202703_1557416587617664_8980194422058292804_n.jpg?oh=1e0d68f3b474afd277bf27d859ca34cc&oe=58819573

Although the design of the console begs one question... how the hell do we upgrade the hard drive?

Yeah this is much cheaper than I expected. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this close to what the PS4 launched at back in 2013?

The one thing that they didn't mention was UHD blu-rays. I believe the XBS supports them but they didn't confirm if this console does the same. I imagine that's a big deal to most people given how much UHD players cost.

Yes very bizarre they never mentioned that if its in.

I'm not sure a mini conference was even needed for this.

I like the price but still think it's a tough sell. Not sure there is enough to convince people to buy one especially if you don't win a 4K tv. The slims will sell plenty!!!

I think the meeting was more for the attendees where they can see it in person. Just nowadays you also stream those things. We're a secondary audience.

I get the sense that Scorpio is far more important to Microsoft's business going forward than the Pro is to Sony.

Andrew House looked like he was going to fall over holding that giant sandwich. Think it might have been on support wires.

@Ronnie but what did you want?

We have been telling you for months that you have nothing to worry about and that it was only going to be a 4k PS4 and for months you have been responding telling us all how a disgrace Sony is and that you will be forced to upgrade for hundreds of pounds mid way through a generation.

Looks like we were right. Its nothing. Yes, the presentation was shit. I am not interested in the product. I won't upgrade. This is what I wanted.

Reading through your posts over the past few months I thought this was what you wanted too?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy. I certainly saw nothing tempting by the PS4 Pro. I just found it strange that that's all PlayStation had. It was just boring and poorly put together.

But as you say, very pleased from a personal POV. Surprised the new PS4 isn't cheaper though.

It's what we wanted, it's what we were told. No-one is left behind, which is great news indeed.

But the price, it makes the PS4 Slim seem way overpriced for what it is offering. Still, if my current PS4 was to go bang, then i might pick up a Pro.

Was anyone else surprised they positioned the Pro as part of 'this generation'? It sounds to me that PlayStation were surprised by just how upgraded Microsoft is making Scorpio and they decided instead of trying to match it they would release a half arsed PS4 upgrade and go all guns blazing on PS5.

Very confused with no UHD Bluray drive when an Xbox one S does have one.

Scorpio on the design front would need to be a total mess to not look better than ps4 pro. This seems kinda rushed to me. They wanted to get it out this year and i dunno it just doesn't feel right.

So bizarre to not have UHD blu ray support, seems weird upgrading every other aspect of the console but not the disc drive.

Engadget have also confirmed no UHD blu ray.

Its one of those decisions that if Internet speeds were amazing across the world for streaming then I would probably understand it but they just arent. I can barely stream 720p and thats why I still buy certain blu rays.

I have a feeling that the lack of a 4K blu-ray disc drive is going to put a lot of people off. I already know someone who is already considering the XBox One S over the PS4 Pro because of it. You'd think Sony would've added one, considering their massive push for 4K...

I wonder how much of it is a cost thing.

I don't buy physical media so makes no difference to me :heh:

Engadget have also confirmed no UHD blu ray.

Its one of those decisions that if Internet speeds were amazing across the world for streaming then I would probably understand it but they just arent. I can barely stream 720p and thats why I still buy certain blu rays.

Not forgetting 4K streaming runs at a lower bit rate than Blu Ray

Should have gone with PS4K rather than PS4 Pro. Think I'll stick with my OG PS4 and 1080p format for this generation.

No surprises there really. The Pro is a lot cheaper than I'd imagined. Can't afford one anyway. First it's PSVR next month and if I do have any money in the near future it'd be on a new TV, then I might look into the Pro but I reckon my PS4 will see me through to a PS5.

Hm, the only reason I can think of why the PS4 doesn't have a UHD Blu Ray drive is that Sony isn't aiming for people who want an "all-in-one-device". Maybe they're thinking that those who already have a 4k TV also own a UHD Blu Ray player. ::shrug:

Still, with this omission a lot of PS4 players who wanted to upgrade now will most likely not. This might be costly for Sony...

@kav82 they just confirmed on the stream that in multiplayer everyone will be on a level playing field, so you don't have to worry about frame rate boosts for PS Pro users who are competing against you.

Hm, the only reason I can think of why the PS4 doesn't have a UHD Blu Ray drive is that Sony isn't aiming for people who want an "all-in-one-device". Maybe they're thinking that those who already have a 4k TV also own a UHD Blu Ray player. ::shrug:

Still, with this omission a lot of PS4 players who wanted to upgrade now will most likely not. This might be costly for Sony...

I guess it ultimately comes down to two things:

1. How much does it cost for Sony to put a UHD BR drive into the console? What does the new break even price become?

2. How does a UHD BR player benefit the gamer?

I was surprised by its omission but it makes sense when you think about it. They simply want to have a 4K gaming option for as cheap as possible. People may argue that the XBS offers UDH blu-ray playback but that machine is barely more powerful than the original XBO, so it's nothing compared to the PS4 Pro. For a gamer, the PS4 Pro remains the better gaming platform. I imagine that the Scorpio may offer this down the line too, depending on cost.

It reminds me of when Sony put a blu-ray drive into the PS3, but the key difference here is that blu-rays were necessary for extra storage space for the HD generation. They don't need to replace blu-rays with UHD blu-rays this time round.