NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Serebii

Miitopia (3DS) - 2016

What is it? :blank:

EDIT: No-one actually knows though. The consesnus being that it looks like it has something to do with Streetpass Quest, maybe.

If this is a bigger retail version of Streetpass Quest (And that's a very bif if), I'd be all over that.

Edited by Glen-i

Gonna guess that it's gonna be a Mii RPG game based on Streetpass Quest and Tomodachi Life from Sakamoto's team. The logo speaks to me...

Hmm.. I made this post in the Nintendo NX - New Hardware Codename thread last week.. :blank:
You have the power, nekunando! :o

What else do you know? :D

Gonna guess that it's gonna be a Mii RPG game based on Streetpass Quest and Tomodachi Life from Sakamoto's team. The logo speaks to me...
That's a good shout I reckon.

EUnYLTq.png

:hehe:

Anyone else had a crack of the demo yet? I had a quick go of it last night and the thing is hilarious.

I never watched any of the Treehouse presentation about this game so I was unaware that Miis get pulled from other places and dropped in your game. This being the case, when I arrived in Greenhorne I was surprised to be greeted by characters such as Cheeky Child Waluigi and Snarky Bloke Ganon. The mayor of the town was Dubious Mayor Napoleon. The name was so fitting! :D

During my quick play of the demo I did have a couple of battles. I decided to go with the Popstar class purely for the weird and lol factor. My Mii looked like he was in a boy band as he had quite the stylish outfit on. The battle system itself seemed pretty straight forward but I get a laugh at the escape option. Most JRPGs have an escape option but in this it's simply called Leg It! :laughing:

I faffed about with some of the other options and the game records a certain amount of your battles and you can watch them back again. This is quite a nice little feature and it's quite surprising to see it in a game such as this. There was also a nice music player in the options. Some of the music in this is more epic than it has any right to be. When you decide to listen to a song your Mii runs on the top screen and does a little dance. With Mii being dressed as a Popstar the whole thing was stupidly fun to watch.

This game looks to have turned out to be something pretty special. If I had to describe it in a single word then that word would be surprising. Looks like this is another day 1 purchase on 28th July. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

During my quick play of the demo I did have a couple of battles. I decided to go with the Popstar class purely for the weird and lol factor. My Mii looked like he was in a boy band as he had quite the stylish outfit on.

Damn it! So did I! It was far too tempting! I couldn't help myself. Naturally, I chose an appropriate villain.

19366311_1336505073134600_62734320758623

And I used my gaming family to fill out the rest of my party.

19366632_1336505253134582_50180330887462

@Ugh first aid filling out the stereotypical sexist healer role.

19366049_1336504599801314_64909549469164

And @Dcubed bringing his garbage cooking skills to the foray.

This game is pure gold. I finished the demo, and it's very generous with how long it is. There seems to be a hell of a lot of customisation to it, which would make repeat playthroughs more fun. Also, the Ness Amiibo works, amazingly enough.

• Like 2

Well this is much better than I expected.  A lot of it is automated, but you do actually need to play it, and the battles are not too easy.  I found myself almost getting into trouble a lot of times.

I also really love the Fire Emblem-style bonding system, which I feel should be a standard in RPGs now.  This is one demo that's convinced me to buy the full game.

Miitopia is much better than I expected too!

Find our full review here.

reggie_2.jpg

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Like 5

Like Hey! Pikmin, I guess nobody bought this either?

With Pikmin done and dusted, I decided to fire this up last night and it's been a fantastic experience so far.

Firstly, I love the amiibo support that this game offers. You can use all of your amiibo in the game and each of them will give you something. The various character outfits are quite fun to look at but they don't offer much in terms of stats. I was disappointed to find that there was no Waluigi one, though. :( Amiibo that don't offer outfits do dish out a bunch of tickets that can be used on the mini games. These can be a great source of cash early on in the game and have allowed me to purchase a lot of gear early on. I sat there for a while just scanning various amiibo into the game, giving me an early boost. The only downside is that you have to keep talking to the amiibo character each time you want to scan one in. It makes it a tedious affair having to scan each on in individually but the results are worth it.

DGnEWXWXkAAoEF2.jpg

As for the main game itself, it's absolutely brilliant and i've had so many LOL moments already. The conversations, character interactions, animations, just about everything the game does gets a smile or a laugh out of me. I mean, just deciding who the antagonist was going to be in my game made me crack up.

DGnEWXZXcAAWJjX.jpg

When picking my antagonist, as well as my supporting cast, I have left it in the hands of fate. I allow my self 3 rolls of the dice, so to speak. I let the game draw from the pool of Mii's that others have created and I give myself 3 refreshes of the system to find ones that I like. If I can't find one I like then I have to settle on the 3rd and last option. The Happy Mask Salesman was option number 2 and I couldn't be happier with my choice of villain.

In the demo of the game I picked the Popstar job type. I didn't carry anything over from said demo as I wanted to start from scratch. This time I went with the other nutty job type and that was the Chef.

DGnEWXXXcAAbWJj.jpg

DGnF1TQWAAAXzyy.jpg

DGnF1TRWAAEyvgT.jpg

This job type has been hilarious to use, even the way he walks or skips along the path on the map screen is funny to watch. I'm smiling now as I write this just thinking about it. :) Seeing him attack with a frying pan or cook some food mid-battle for myself or my team also brings a smile to my face. Basically, everything the game does seems to make me either laugh or smile. :D

I'm still early on but I had to assemble a team of people to help me on my journey. I needed people I could rely on. People I could trust. People who I knew well and had formed a bond with over the years. That team was these guys.

DGnF1TUXkAEF9hI.jpg

We've lost some good members of the forum community over the years. For whatever reason these guys don't visit and post here anymore. That being the case I decide to honour the memory of some of my favourite people from this place and have them alongside me in battle. It's been a great experience so far. I made RedShell a Popstar, Darksnowman a Thief and Mokong a Warrior.  Myself and RedShell share a room and Mokong and Darksnowman share another. The interactions between all of us have been fantastic, both in the room and in battle. 

Yup, it's been a right hoot playing this and i'm still stupidly early on in the game. I think my team is around level 10 and i've just left the first castle to find this guys face.

DGnIaDCXcAEIkC7.jpg

My adventure continues....

• Like 3

I loved tomodatchi life and this looks to be even better than that :D just feels weird going back to the 3DS now though... 

9 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

I loved tomodatchi life and this looks to be even better than that :D just feels weird going back to the 3DS now though... 

Tomadachi Life didn't wow me. I like how this game pulls Mii's from the internet to fill the game and there's certainly a lot more to do in this than TL. 

Yep, I'm gonna enjoy watching who you cast in this, @Hero-of-Time. I definitely want to buy this, but I have a duty to pay @S.C.G back for my Switch. (Thanks for being so patient, BTW. I'm getting there)

Glad to see I'm not the only one who decided to use N-Europe members as NPC's. The option to use Mii's from your Friends List is genius.

• Like 2

I'll just bung all my latest Miitopia Miiverse pics in a spoiler tag to stop clogging up the thread. I will post this one picture out in the open, though. For reasons I won't go in to, I had to select new members for my team. Here is who is now part of my questing crew.

DGqHyY8XcAIr0aN.jpg

Spoiler

DGsBespXkAAwAE-.jpg

DGsBesvXgAAgU88.jpg

DGsBesvXoAAR8YI.jpg

DGsBeswXYAEzN04.jpg

DGsDTsdXoAIMGll.jpg

DGsDTsfXgAEt4v-.jpg

DGsDTshXoAENPOy.jpg

DGsDTsjWsAA3I4x.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

For reasons I won't go in to, I had to select new members for my team. Here is who is now part of my questing crew.

Is there something in the game that forces you to do that, or was it just a personal thing?

5 minutes ago, Grazza said:

Is there something in the game that forces you to do that, or was it just a personal thing?

Spoiler

A couple of times in the early stages of the game your entire team get captured and you start again at level 1. You have to pick three new teammates each time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:
  Spoliers (Reveal hidden contents)

A couple of times in the early stages of the game your entire team get captured and you start again at level 1. You have to pick three new teammates each time.

Wait...it happens again? I'm gonna need more N-E Mii characters.

I've put a fair bit of time into the game this week and have progressed really far.

Here's few snaps of Team 2 ( Myself, Blade, S.C.G and Lostmario ) doing their thing.

Spoiler

DG9SFSHXoAQm394.jpg

DG9SFaIWsAEcZ-j.jpg

DG9SFTkXsAIcR4s.jpg

DG9SFWiW0AAcS-o.jpg

DG9SRR-XsAQZFVA.jpg

DG9SRSTXYAAKR0b.jpg

I once again had to pick another team after this happened.

Spoiler

DG9R03AW0AA8imi.jpg

At first I was like..

jim-carrey-liar-liar-oh-come-on-angry-it

...but the game unleashed this awesome looking job class for me.

Spoiler

DG9R03AXcAEIDeJ.jpg

I had to assemble another team to replace my other two and looked who stepped up to the plate.

Spoiler

DHGmziJXoAAmWnD.jpg

DHGmziBWsAAqzed.jpg

DHGmzh5XUAItM3v.jpg

DG9R024XUAA_E2j.jpg

Some of my exchanges with this team have been flat out hilarious. I set Dazzybee as a stubborn character ( quite fitting :D ) and him and Glen-i are always fighting. I also got into an argument with Glen while we were fighting in a battle. I used my special move which involved me stuffing Glen-i into my cannon ( not the other way around ) and then firing him at the enemy. This caused him to snap we we started hurling abuse at each other. Eventually it got to the point where we went at it and turned into one of those dust clouds you see on cartoons when characters fight. This ended up happening next to the enemy and while we took some damage ourselves we actually killed the enemy in the process due to him getting sucked into the fighting cloud! I was in stitches.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 4

After nearly 40 hours, Team N-E are victorious!

DHr-tk7XUAAVq27.jpg

DHr-tk3XcAAtlCP.jpg

The end game really started to drag out a bit. You think you have finished the game and then it just keeps going and going and going. It felt a little cheap at times, not Bravely Default cheap but I did question whether the game would have been better had they not tried to lengthen the end game out. There are also a few things that cropped up that kind of dampen the experience. Stuff like members of your team getting sick or falling down holes, meaning you can't use them for a set period of time. There are also an enemy that pops up that can one shot you. This appears a few times when nearing the end dungeon.

The final boss was a bit of a bitch if you aren't prepared...which I wasn't.

Spoiler

DHr-tk9XkAUPgw7.jpg

The game makes you split up your team into 3 separate teams. Throughout the game I had been mainly leveling up my main four, so the rest of the team was about 10 levels behind them. The way I divided my team up meant that I had a strong member on each section of the boss. This didn't go well at all and I ended up failing in the last phase. I regrouped, kept all my strongest fighters for the final fight and then destroyed the boss in the last section within a few turns.

After defeating the boss, you have to give the creature a face. once again I let the auto assign do its thing and ended up with this!

DHr-gguXgAI1mb9.jpg

Despite the few niggles I had with the end game stuff, I still REALLY enjoyed the game. There are so many laugh out loud moments and the way you can incorporate friends, family and celebrities into the game is just brilliant. It's just a shame not many people will know the genius of this game because many seemed to have jumped ship and disregard the 3DS now that the Switch is on the scene. Their loss, I guess.

Despite putting 40 hours into the game and seeing the credits roll, there is still a great deal to do. A couple of other job classes have now been unlocked, as well as a couple of new places to explore. The game also has around 250 in game achievements to nab. Looking at my tally and it seems i've only unlocked 46% of them. Granted, most of them are just grinding related things, like getting to max level, max relationship, all weapons, jobs, armour etc. but it is still something to do, if you are so inclined. It's certainly a game I can see myself dipping back in to in between playing other stuff.

Nicktendo, when reviewing the game did you happen to reach the final battle? I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on the end game stuff and the unlocks that become available after the credits roll.

Here a few final pics from my adventure.

DHr-ggzW0AAAzTr.jpg

DHr-gg8XsAAKIjh.jpg

DHr-gg7XcAAvvUs.jpg

• Like 2

Only just got the game a few days ago.  Looking forward to jumping in with it when I get time :)

Glad to hear you enjoyed it @Hero-of-Time :peace:

• Like 1

Woo! I finished the game without ever leaving the demo! Man, I'm awesome! Great to see you enjoyed it. This is going to be the first game I buy once I pay off my Switch... And my mini SNES.

• Like 2

We don’t have a topic for the Switch version of the game but figured this one would do.

The level of customisation of the Mii characters in the Switch version of the game is insane. I was already on board with picking it up but now I’m even more excited for its release.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sign in to follow this