NEurope
drahkon

The 'Other' Switch Thread

The statement they made about the VC said you get a NES or SNES game but they only mentioned the adding of the online when talking about the SNES.

Yeah sorry, I mean SNES upwards. I'm still hoping for online F Zero GX.

It does seem they're trying to make as much as possible online, I bet none of us saw this coming. Lets hope they really make paying for online unmissable.

Yeah sorry, I mean SNES upwards. I'm still hoping for online F Zero GX.

It does seem they're trying to make as much as possible online, I bet none of us saw this coming. Lets hope they really make paying for online unmissable.

That's the thing, if they are going to charge then they kind of have to. If 3rd parties don't show up again then they are going to have to rely on their own output to support their online service, otherwise people aren't going to pay. Hopefully this means that we will finally get an online Mario Party game.

It's fine people not liking them or whats on offer, but things like this feel a little off. Sony and MS literally do the same thing that console gaming has done for nearly 30 years on the hardware front - Same old, more power. The Sony pad has barely changed since PS1.

Saying Nintendo don't push boundaries when they're the only ones doing different thins is really really harsh. May not like it, but the switch IS pushing boundaries, the Wii U did too to an extent. You may not like it, but I think it's the wrong criticism.

Personally I don't like this argument at all. It's like saying all you've been doing for the past 30 years is 'breathing' or 'getting older'. It's too fundamental. Technology improves - it gets more powerful. That's essentially one of the things you can guarantee about it. Even Nintendo, believe it or not, are getting more 'powerful' with each iteration.

The question is - what are you doing with it? Ok, Nintendo opt to innovate - but why innovate if not enough people want it? Why not go harder on power to give yourself more options along the traditional lines that folks might want?

Here's just a couple examples of what Sony did with their 'more power' on PS4 over PS3 imo;

-A smooth and rather slick UI/OS. One you can drop easily into and out of even whilst playing a game(that's right, very rarely am I getting my crossed out home icon when I hit my PS button)

-System level party and voice chat etc.

-Constantly recording your last X minutes of gameplay - so you can save and share those awesome moments you didn't see coming without having to be pre-prepared. Note that to save this is pretty much a two button press and takes pretty much no time.

-Running multiple applications at a time - ie similar to above, I can 'suspend' my game and go into the capture gallery to check out/rename my save I just made, then get back into my game within a few minutes etc. Same for browser, store and a few other bits iirc. Stuck on a game and nothing to look up a guide? Pop onto the internet browser and have a quick peep on GameFAQs or something - get your answer and be back on your game!

-Rest Mode/pushed downloads. Knowing there's a big patch coming to a game but I wanna play as soon as I get in - only to find I'm then waiting an hour for it to download as everyone's doing the same. Rest mode fixes that for me - it's already downloaded by time I get home! Same if I really fancy something off the store - I can log in at work, buy it, and push it over to the PS4 - it's not 100% but usually it's all done and downloaded ready to play by time I would get home.

That's just a couple things that spring to mind. Those things need the power that the system can offer. I like the Switch, don't get me wrong, but I just can't find a justification of it at that price. How old is the PS4's hardware? How much should hardware and tech have moved on by now; if we look at the trend of it improving generally at an exponential rate? The Switch is MORE expensive than the PS4 currently is, but I feel personally as if it's less powerful. I can't square that up in my mind! I can't rationally justify it - I realise arguments may be made on JoyCon tech, screen etc - but the thing is those are the choices Nintendo are making; but not necessarily the choices that consumers want at such a price.

Edited by Rummy

I agree with the above wholeheartedly.

Except who the fuck is using their console browser instead of their phone :p

Finally got around to watching this. You need to skip to the 5 minute mark to listen to the Switch banter. The start is just some birthday stuff.

You can really tell Colin is peed off and gutted with what he saw. I suppose it's understandable. If you watched his Colin Was Right segment last week you would have seen that he was full of hope and thought Nintendo was finally going to get it right.

A very good question but also one of my Switch issues - sometimes if I know I'm settling in for a bit of a PS4 sesh I might pop my phone on charge if it's low - sometimes upstairs or sometimes nearby if I'm expecting communications; but still it isn't exactly within arms reach and I won't check it too much/reply to stuff until I'm done gaming. I know a few times I've got gone to the PS4 and realise I've left my phone in another room then just thought I can't be arsed to go get it as I'm about to hit up gamez! With PSN I can message from there if I'm super lazy - and ofc that has another added bonus of the phone app so even if I'm on my PS4 but NOT near my phone, I can essentially almost still message a majority of my friend who may not be at their PS4 but at their phones, if that makes sense!

Just watched Jim Sterling's video. Couldn't agree more.

Looking forward to see if we'll see some kind of turn-around regarding some of the Switch's issues. I hope so...

Just watched Jim Sterling's video. Couldn't agree more.

Looking forward to see if we'll see some kind of turn-around regarding some of the Switch's issues. I hope so...

I suppose it depends on how stubborn they are and how it sells. If it doesn't sell well ( yeah, the first stock has sold out but so did the Wii Us ) then they will need to react. It's gonna be a hard pill for Nintendo to swallow if they have to implement Ambassador Program 2.0.

To be fair, given the general negativity and confusion surrounding the product, you would hope that they would be reacting now.

To be fair, given the general negativity and confusion surrounding the product, you would hope that they would be reacting now.

I do hope that right now they are in the process of working out how to turn it around.

I'm gonna quite Sheikah here just because it kinda fits:

It's clearly all been rushed. They don't have the network information ready because they're rushed a launch window (hence why there was a "will it make launch" question of Zelda).

This would imply that there is potential/time for Nintendo to use the criticism they got to improve everything that needs improvement. And I really hope that's the case.

I worry, though, that Nintendo will just continue to be Nintendo and don't do anything until another Ambassador Program...

I do hope that right now they are in the process of working out how to turn it around.

I'm gonna quite Sheikah here just because it kinda fits:

This would imply that there is potential/time for Nintendo to use the criticism they got to improve everything that needs improvement. And I really hope that's the case.

I worry, though, that Nintendo will just continue to be Nintendo and don't do anything until another Ambassador Program...

Yeah, I hope so, no confidence in it though. Letting us keep the damned VC title would be a start and having this mobile app for switch too.... That would be sorted!

Sort of secretly hoping they let 1-2 switch be a free download too but dreaming!!!

Because Putlocker (and its still functional equivalent)

What I find ridiculous about Nintendo's launch strategy is that they literally can't afford to have a poor launch/post-launch period. They really shouldn't be holding back game announcements or release dates. They need the info out there to convince people to buy it.

Public perception is key. If the Switch after launch has its sales drop off a cliff, the press will report as such, and the perception will be that it's a failing console. They'll report that its sales are bad. They'll report it's too expensive. They'll report there's no games on it. They'll report its online is bad. This doesn't create the image of a desirable product, and people won't buy it. They need the press to be putting out a positive image of it. And what Nintendo is doing isn't helping themselves. They're helping to create a negative image from before launch. All reports are basically "it's nice, but pricey, and not enough games and little details on online etc." That's not good enough for the situation Nintendo are in!

A price cut and Ambassador Programme can't save them. It's ridiculous that we're even discussing that as a realistic proposition because it should NOT be in Nintendo's plans. 3DS recovered from a poor start with a price cut because it was still, all in all, a desirable product, the successor to the DS which sold shitloads, it was just too expensive to start - it was fortunate that Nintendo have such a strong reputation in the handheld market and there wasn't anything else on the market (other than mobile) to compete with it until the Vita came a year later.

Nintendo don't have the luxury of being market leader with the Switch. PS4 and Xbox One are both well established. Nintendo really need to stand out from the get-go for success. I just can't see that happening with things the way they are. Unless it somehow goes viral like the Wii, which it hasn't got long to do - only 6 weeks until launch - I can't help but feel it's heading for failure.

I really want one, it looks like a really nice bit of kit, but I can't help but worry about it's future as a successful, satisfying game platform, and can't help but be disgusted at the prices they are setting.

I'd just add to that not to forget that Nintendo are going in with bad blood already behind them from the Wii U - and that's not just with 3rd parties but consumers and retailers too. They've already got an uphill struggle and I can't understand why it seems they're trying to make it harder for themselves!

Because Putlocker (and its still functional equivalent)

Bloody hell man, three PS4s and you can't splash out on something a bit nicer for your piracy habits, like a firestick with kodi? :p

Console browser... you masochists.

Bloody hell man, three PS4s and you can't splash out on something a bit nicer for your piracy habits, like a firestick with kodi? :p

Chromecast all day for me mate! Though a FireStick might be better as I don't always manage to get a Chromecast to cater for all of my...erm...legitimate needs. Can couple it up with Plex ofc though. Never really bothered using my PS4 for that sort of stuff - just straight up gamingtings for me!

Explain plz

Explain plz

My brother got one of those for my grandparents for Christmas and putlocker is far easier. And essentially kodi is just looking at sites like putlocker, no?

Kodi is a media player, latest iteration of XBMC, built mainly for playing personal media and being highly portable, but can be sideloaded onto a firestick (basically just Android on a dongle for £20-£25 with a nice remote) and with plugins can be used for streaming from other sources. Obvs we don't advocate anything illegal so I'm not going to explain how to do anything Kodi wasn't built for and you should of course never do that.

Thanks. I never will do that and I certain won't be looking into it.

Where you getting your firesticks for £20-25 @Shorty?! Last I knew they were still rocking at £35? I did have one once, but it was shit for Plex without having a PlexPass so unless that's fixed now I won't be able to get on board with one. I do still want another Chromecast for the kitchen possibly - may be tempted by a FireStick if they've fixed those issues and I can get a cheap one!

Thanks. I never will do that and I certain won't be looking into it.

Same here. I will never try to get it to work on my RaspberryPi/RetroPie and find out that it's the best thing ever.

TBH, practically everyone already has something that plays Netflix/Amazon Prime/Whatever now anyway; hell even TVs have it built-in now!

So it's not hard to see why they're not bothering with supporting native video streaming apps ::shrug:

I dunno, it does make them stand out a bit if they don't I think.

Its not an issue for me personally but I'm sure people will miss it.

With the possibility to download shows/movies on Netflix an app would've been incredible for the Switch. Portability and all.